    smallish in size - anyone have any recommendations

    Cheers
    , Oct 23, 2006

  2. wrote:
    : Hi all

    : My daughter wants a camera for her birthday, so fine, but what to get.
    : I have a Canon S3 which is good for me but will not let her near it :)

    : So I am after a reasonable cheapish digital camera that is easy to use,

    : smallish in size - anyone have any recommendations

    : Cheers

    IMHO there are many cameras that will fit the stated needs.

    To narrow down the possibilities you may want to think about what her
    needs and desires are. Is she just going to take "snaps" that will be
    printed (if at all) as a 5x7? Is she going to desire high quality prints
    or will she be happy if she can recognize the people and places in her
    pictures?

    The reason I asked these questions is if she is just wanting to snap
    pictures of her friends and doesn't expect high quality prints you can
    probably get by with a 1mp or so camera. The larger the expected prints or
    the more "artistic" she wants to get with the images, you would want to
    increase the mp count.

    Then you will want to concider how good she is at manipulating and
    understanding controls. For some people (adult as well as child) the more
    adjustable controls there are the more things that can be bumped or idilly
    played with, that can then adversely effect the outcome and increase
    frustration. But if they can (and wish to) learn how to make adjustments
    to get better pictures or useable images in less than ideal conditions,
    more controls may be desirable.

    The answers to these questions will help you look at the number of contols
    and what they control. Someone who just wants to point the camera and
    press the button and expect a perfect image probably doesn't need a camera
    that has manual adjustments for shutter speed, aperture, etc. The majority
    of cameras do seem to now include a "scene" setting for adjusting for
    broad categories of preset adjustments.

    Once you have determined all these parameters then you can compare price
    storage media, battery type, and availability. Since you already have a
    camera in the family you may want to look for a camera that uses the same
    type of media as this way you can use the same card reader equipment on
    your computer and if you upgrade your good camera memory you can become a
    hero by passing your old memory down to your daughter. :) Also since this
    is a child I would suggest that a camera that uses (or can use) standard
    types of batteries, such as AA batteries, would be a good idea as then
    your daughter can obtain her own batteries (and thus encourage her to
    remember to turn off the camera when not in use). :)

    Lastly I would concider how rugged the camera is built as it is probably
    going to take a certain amount of punishment. And also it might be a good
    idea to visit some of the local stores (Walmart, Kmart, Office Depot, etc)
    with your daughter and see what design of camera fits her hands. Many
    different brands tend to have similar size, shape and weight, and so you
    can still keep the final decision as a suprize if you wish. But different
    shapes and configurations of camera body and control locations fit
    different hands better than others.

    Of course this is what I would do and you (and others here) may have other
    ideas. One thought I would have is to generally keep the camera as
    inexpensive as possible (while keeping desired use in mind) as if
    photography does become a passion in future years, you will both want
    to upgrade to a better camera and discard this one. While if this desire
    never goes anywhere, and the camera soon starts gathering dust in the
    bottom of a drawer an expensive one would be a waste. JMHO

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Oct 23, 2006

  3. mehere Guest

    "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > : Hi all

    snip

    > Randy
    >
    > ==========
    > Randy Berbaum
    > Champaign, IL

    Randy, great replay and all very valid and good points. To be honest not
    100% sure, this will be her first camera and well she is keen and I would
    imagine by her hand drawn and painted art work (very good work but I'm
    probably biased) has quite detail she would get bored with a very basic
    camera, but again I am not wanting to spend too much now, I would rather
    start small and if she does get really into it then get her a more advanced
    one later.

    Price in AUD$ I would be looking at around up to $200. Not a lot I know but
    it is a start. Have been looking at some of the cheaper Kodak's but not
    sure, would prefer Canon as that is what I use and have been very happy.

    Guess I need to do more research, just was hoping for some starting points
    form the NG readers/writers.

    Cheers
    mehere, Oct 23, 2006
  4. minnesotti Guest

    mehere wrote:
    > "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message
    > > wrote:
    > > : Hi all

    > snip
    >

    > > Randy
    > >
    > > ==========
    > > Randy Berbaum
    > > Champaign, IL
    > >

    > Randy, great replay and all very valid and good points. To be honest not
    > 100% sure, this will be her first camera and well she is keen and I would
    > imagine by her hand drawn and painted art work (very good work but I'm
    > probably biased) has quite detail she would get bored with a very basic
    > camera, but again I am not wanting to spend too much now, I would rather
    > start small and if she does get really into it then get her a more advanced
    > one later.
    >
    > Price in AUD$ I would be looking at around up to $200. Not a lot I know but
    > it is a start. Have been looking at some of the cheaper Kodak's but not
    > sure, would prefer Canon as that is what I use and have been very happy.
    >
    > Guess I need to do more research, just was hoping for some starting points
    > form the NG readers/writers.

    Here at r.ph.d., there was pointed out many times on the wrong use of
    "it's" instead of "its".

    Above is another typical mistake -- the use "AUD$" or "USD$". The
    letter "D" already means "dollar" -- just like the character "$".
    minnesotti, Oct 23, 2006
  5. >My daughter wants a camera for her birthday, so fine, but what to get.
    >I have a Canon S3 which is good for me but will not let her near it :)

    I would recommend something used, and I would recommend something with
    a good lens (Canon is a great choice) but perhaps a lower pixel
    count, say 4MPix. It will take great 4x6's, and put wonderful images
    on the web.

    With a cheap used camera, you and she will also feel better when she
    accidentally runs it through the washing machine (or something).

    If you get a camera with a cheap lens, the pictures will never look
    good. Then she'll get frustrated, want to borrow your camera, or
    both.

    -Joel

    Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Oct 23, 2006
  6. wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > My daughter wants a camera for her birthday, so fine, but what to get.
    > I have a Canon S3 which is good for me but will not let her near it :)
    >
    > So I am after a reasonable cheapish digital camera that is easy to use,
    >
    > smallish in size - anyone have any recommendations

    Cell phone?

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Oct 23, 2006
  7. bugbear Guest

    mehere wrote:

    > Randy, great replay and all very valid and good points. To be honest not
    > 100% sure, this will be her first camera and well she is keen and I would
    > imagine by her hand drawn and painted art work (very good work but I'm
    > probably biased) has quite detail she would get bored with a very basic
    > camera

    Actually, since the majority of talent in photography
    involves choosing what to take, you can spend a great
    deal of time taking GOOD photos with a very
    basic camera.

    Lots of keen amatuer photographers end up
    conflating a good exposure made in difficult
    and/or unusual conditions with a good photograph.

    Test; if you need to explain to a non-photographer
    WHY a photograph is great - it's not great!

    Recommendation for a camera; large display, long
    battery life, big enough to handle easily, small enough
    to carry easily, large memory card.

    BugBear
    bugbear, Oct 23, 2006
  8. Jack Mac Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:22:30 GMT, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:

    >>My daughter wants a camera for her birthday, so fine, but what to get.
    >>I have a Canon S3 which is good for me but will not let her near it :)

    >I would recommend something used, and I would recommend something with
    >a good lens (Canon is a great choice) but perhaps a lower pixel
    >count, say 4MPix. It will take great 4x6's, and put wonderful images
    >on the web.
    >
    >With a cheap used camera, you and she will also feel better when she
    >accidentally runs it through the washing machine (or something).
    >
    >If you get a camera with a cheap lens, the pictures will never look
    >good. Then she'll get frustrated, want to borrow your camera, or
    >both.
    >
    >-Joel

    >Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/

    I have a Canon S-400 that I've had for several years and still use on
    occasion as a back-up to my Rebel XT. It's a rugged camera of 4MP.
    It doesn't use AA batteries but has excellent battery life.
    I let my two 8 year old Grandkids use it often and they have yet
    to damage it.

    Jack Mac
    Jack Mac, Oct 23, 2006
  9. tomm42 Guest

    Canon A510, nice camera 4mp, still available new? Should be in the mid
    - low $100s. I made the mistake of buying my youngest son a camera that
    didn't do so well imagewise (a low end fuji 4 years ago), never let me
    forget it. The Canon A series is about the best bang for the buck.

    Tom

    tomm42, Oct 23, 2006
  10. Ron Hunter Guest

    mehere wrote:
    > "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >> : Hi all

    > snip
    >
    >> Randy
    >>
    >> ==========
    >> Randy Berbaum
    >> Champaign, IL
    >>

    > Randy, great replay and all very valid and good points. To be honest not
    > 100% sure, this will be her first camera and well she is keen and I would
    > imagine by her hand drawn and painted art work (very good work but I'm
    > probably biased) has quite detail she would get bored with a very basic
    > camera, but again I am not wanting to spend too much now, I would rather
    > start small and if she does get really into it then get her a more advanced
    > one later.
    >
    > Price in AUD$ I would be looking at around up to $200. Not a lot I know but
    > it is a start. Have been looking at some of the cheaper Kodak's but not
    > sure, would prefer Canon as that is what I use and have been very happy.
    >
    > Guess I need to do more research, just was hoping for some starting points
    > form the NG readers/writers.
    >
    > Cheers

    Kodak makes some very good cameras for the beginning photographer. They
    are easy to use, make very good pictures, and are not going to put you
    in the 'poor house'. I think Canon has some pretty good cameras on the
    low end of the price range as well. Don't be to surprised if she wants
    to use YOUR camera after a while if she really enjoys hers. Grin.
    Ron Hunter, Oct 23, 2006
  11. Guest

    Thanks to all for your comments.

    I have narrowed it down to the Canon A4xx (like the A430) range or the
    Kodak C3xx (like the C340) range but now to find either a used one or
    new one at a good price in Australia (WA preferred). If you have one
    your selling in Australia let me know (or know soemone lese get them to
    contact me (), or if you know of a
    good supplier with good prices let me know (that has in stock)

    Cheers all for your help and comments it is very much appreciated.
    , Oct 24, 2006
  12. Davy Guest

    A little more info may be helpful here, what is her needs, ie, to
    start her off in photography, taking close up piccy's or happy go
    snappy, you can appreciate a general purpose camera is gonna' fall
    short for a camera for some specific purpose, how much are you
    willing to pay is another factor ~ giving a wee clue here will help a
    long way.

    Here's a good site to peep at-:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html I don't like
    giving links to other forums.... but what the heck if it helps
    people, so try this -:
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/ look under the heading of 'What
    Camera should I buy'.

    Davy
    Davy, Oct 24, 2006
  13. Philly Guest

    "minnesotti" <> wrote in message

    > mehere wrote:
    >> "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message
    >> > wrote:
    >> > : Hi all

    >> snip
    >>

    >> > Randy
    >> >
    >> > ==========
    >> > Randy Berbaum
    >> > Champaign, IL
    >> >

    >> Randy, great replay and all very valid and good points. To be honest not
    >> 100% sure, this will be her first camera and well she is keen and I would
    >> imagine by her hand drawn and painted art work (very good work but I'm
    >> probably biased) has quite detail she would get bored with a very basic
    >> camera, but again I am not wanting to spend too much now, I would rather
    >> start small and if she does get really into it then get her a more
    >> one later.
    >>
    >> Price in AUD$ I would be looking at around up to $200. Not a lot I know
    >> but
    >> it is a start. Have been looking at some of the cheaper Kodak's but not
    >> sure, would prefer Canon as that is what I use and have been very happy.
    >>
    >> Guess I need to do more research, just was hoping for some starting
    >> points
    >> form the NG readers/writers.

    > Here at r.ph.d., there was pointed out many times on the wrong use of
    > "it's" instead of "its".
    >
    > Above is another typical mistake -- the use "AUD$" or "USD$". The
    > letter "D" already means "dollar" -- just like the character "$".

    Who cares?
    Philly, Oct 24, 2006
  14. Guest

    Philly wrote:
    > "minnesotti" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > mehere wrote:
    > >> "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> snip

    > >> Randy, great replay and all very valid and good points. To be honest not
    > >> 100% sure, this will be her first camera and well she is keen and I would
    > >> imagine by her hand drawn and painted art work (very good work but I'm
    > >> probably biased) has quite detail she would get bored with a very basic
    > >> camera, but again I am not wanting to spend too much now, I would rather
    > >> start small and if she does get really into it then get her a more
    > >> one later.
    > >>
    > >> Price in AUD$ I would be looking at around up to $200. Not a lot I know
    > >> but
    > >> it is a start. Have been looking at some of the cheaper Kodak's but not
    > >> sure, would prefer Canon as that is what I use and have been very happy.
    > >>
    > >> Guess I need to do more research, just was hoping for some starting
    > >> points
    > >> form the NG readers/writers.

    > > Here at r.ph.d., there was pointed out many times on the wrong use of
    > > "it's" instead of "its".
    > >
    > > Above is another typical mistake -- the use "AUD$" or "USD$". The
    > > letter "D" already means "dollar" -- just like the character "$".

    > Who cares?

    Why post stupid remarks like that!

    Anyway decided to go with the Canon A430

    Cheers all
    , Oct 24, 2006
  15. Randy Berbaum wrote:
> [...]

    > Kmart, Office Depot, etc) with your daughter and see what design of
    > camera fits her hands. Many different brands tend to have similar
    > size, shape and weight, and so you can still keep the final decision
    > as a suprize if you wish. But different shapes and configurations of
    > camera body and control locations fit different hands better than
    > others.
    >
    > Of course this is what I would do and you (and others here) may have
    > other ideas. One thought I would have is to generally keep the camera
    > as inexpensive as possible (while keeping desired use in mind) as if
    > photography does become a passion in future years, you will both want
    > to upgrade to a better camera and discard this one. While if this
    > desire never goes anywhere, and the camera soon starts gathering dust
    > in the bottom of a drawer an expensive one would be a waste. JMHO

    What an unbelievable treatise! Buy the kid a Nikon Coolpix on Ebay for
    50-quid. All gadgets end up thrown in a drawer anyway after a time. It is
    not the end of the world believe me! If you feel strongly about this waste
    of resources, send your unused junk to a third-world country where they will
    make good use of it.
    Dennis Pogson, Oct 24, 2006
  16. AAvK Guest

    You can also look at camera_specific images at pbase.com, see what looks good.

    --
    }<)))*> Giant_Alex
    cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
    AAvK, Oct 24, 2006
  17. SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > My daughter wants a camera for her birthday, so fine, but what to get.
    > I have a Canon S3 which is good for me but will not let her near it :)
    >
    > So I am after a reasonable cheapish digital camera that is easy to use,
    >
    > smallish in size - anyone have any recommendations
    >
    > Cheers

    It depends on her interests. At 12, my daughter is taking journalism
    classes, and they are teaching them some of the basics of photography
    already, so manual controls are useful.

    The standard no-compromise criteria apply:

    -Optical viewfinder
    -AF Assist
    -Manual controls, at least white-balance, but preferably shutter speed,
    aperture, and focus.

    This greatly limits the choices.

    At the low end you're not going to find many cameras with Li-Ion
    batteries, so you'll have to go with AA batteries. Buy the new Sanyo
    eneloop AA batteries, which don't self-discharge. If she only uses the
    camera occasionally, you'll really appreciate the eneloop batteries.

    I'd get the Canon A530 The A530 is $130 at Costco.com.

    Whatever you get, ensure that it has an optical viewfinder and AF
    assist. The latter is on most new cameras, even cheap ones, but the
    optical viewfinder is disappearing from many the low-end cameras.
    SMS, Oct 24, 2006
  18. Paul Rubin Guest

    SMS <> writes:
    > I'd get the Canon A530 The A530 is $130 at Costco.com.

    I have one of these and it's worked out pretty well, but if I were
    doing it over I'd spend a little more and get the A540. Reasons
    include: 1) A540's bigger LCD screen, nicer for showing pics to other
    people; 2) accepts lens accessories using an adapter--I've at times
    wanted the wideangle accessory lens, and to shoot through a polarizer;
    3) can shoot video at 30 fps (A530 is limited to 15 fps). I always
    thought of the video feature of still cameras as useless, but with the
    A530 and a 2GB memory card it's turned out to be fun.
    Paul Rubin, Oct 24, 2006
  19. Rob-L Guest

    Rob-L, Oct 25, 2006