    of 24 I think.

    Thnx

    , Nov 28, 2008

  2. PDM Guest

    Buy a good film scanner (second hand maybe). Scan your negs. Sell scanner on
    ebay. Seriously, this is quite a common thing.

    PDM

    PDM, Nov 28, 2008

  3. DavidM Guest

    PDM wrote:
    > Buy a good film scanner (second hand maybe). Scan your negs. Sell scanner on
    > ebay. Seriously, this is quite a common thing.

    We were in the same situation, hundred of family negatives and slides to
    scan. I chose the Minolta Scan Elite 5400, and went looking on eBay. A
    single slightly dodgy auction was running, so we bid up to the PayPal
    guaranteed amount of £150, but lost out. By complete luck we then found
    one in an online classified advert for £150. Took a risk, sent off a
    cheque and it arrived in perfect condition.

    Anyway, skip to the end.. after studying eBay for the next couple of
    weeks it was clear that these models are continuously coming up and good
    ones always sell for £300 - £400 in the UK. If it works, looks nice in a
    photo and has all the bits, you are pretty much sure of a good resale value.

    We're keeping ours though, despite the potential for a quick profit.

    DavidM, Nov 28, 2008
  4. ransley Guest

    On Nov 27, 11:30 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > H I have about 200 film negatives. What's the cheapest way to transfer
    > them to digital photos? Wall green/CVS charges like 8 dollars for a cd
    > of 24 I think.
    >
    > Thnx

    Cvs might not give full resolution scans, it depends on how good they
    are and what you will do with them.

    ransley, Nov 28, 2008
  5. Don Stauffer Guest

    wrote:
    > H I have about 200 film negatives. What's the cheapest way to transfer
    > them to digital photos? Wall green/CVS charges like 8 dollars for a cd
    > of 24 I think.
    >
    > Thnx

    If you already have a scanner, check to see if there is a transparency
    adapter. If you are thinking of buying a flatbed scanner, see if the
    ones you are looking at have a transparency adapter. I bought one for
    sixty bucks that does a decent job of scanning negs and slides.
    Flatbeds with adapters are FAR cheaper than film scanners, and for that
    small number of negatives, it doesn't seem to make sense to me to buy a
    film scanner. You'd be cheaper paying Walmart.

    Unless your computer is very old, it should be able to burn CDs, though
    you may need burning software. You can get some pretty cheap software.

    If you do it yourself you should be able to put all 200 on one or two CDs.

    Don Stauffer, Nov 28, 2008
  6. Paul Furman Guest

    Re: |GG| cheapest way to transfer film negatives to digital photos?

    wrote:
    > H I have about 200 film negatives. What's the cheapest way to transfer
    > them to digital photos? Wall green/CVS charges like 8 dollars for a cd
    > of 24 I think.

    That is super cheap, 200 negatives for $67. Maybe not the best but you
    won't find cheaper or easier if those numbers are right. It would be
    very tedious work to scan yourself.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Nov 28, 2008
  7. Archibald Guest

    Re: |GG| cheapest way to transfer film negatives to digital photos?

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:11:01 -0800, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> H I have about 200 film negatives. What's the cheapest way to transfer
    >> them to digital photos? Wall green/CVS charges like 8 dollars for a cd
    >> of 24 I think.

    >That is super cheap, 200 negatives for $67. Maybe not the best but you
    >won't find cheaper or easier if those numbers are right. It would be
    >very tedious work to scan yourself.

    I just scanned 410 slides on the Nikon CoolScan... took about 3 days.
    Negatives are fussier to do than slides (at least the way I do them)
    -- will take more time.

    Archibald

    Archibald, Nov 28, 2008