Cheapest way to ring South Africa

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Woggle, Jul 9, 2006.

  1. Woggle

    Woggle Guest

    Have got an SPA 3000 and currently running voip.co.uk

    Am off to South Africa with work for the whole of September and would
    like your thoughts on this.

    Am trying to work out the cheapest way for my wife to call me whilst
    I'm out there.

    She'll be calling from a mix of both her mobile and our landline (can
    you route calls from her mobile through voip.co.uk or similar?) and
    she'll be calling to a mix of my mobile and a landline.

    I'm trying to work out the cheapest way to do it:

    - is it worth asking her to dial into our home number and then out on a
    cheaper line?
    - will I need to change voip.co.uk or add another voip provider? Any
    thoughts
    - Will I need a South African mobile SIM card or should I keep my UK
    one?

    Thanks!

    Mark
    Woggle, Jul 9, 2006

  2. Woggle

    Woggle Guest

    Actually just compared the following to South Africa:

    BT Peak: 0.5199
    BT Off-Peak: 0.4599

    Voip.co.uk: 0.085
    Voip.co.uk mobile: 0.250

    Call Union Peak: 0.047
    Call Union Off-Peak: 0.047
    Mobile Peak: 0.141
    Mobile Off-Peak: 0.141

    Anyone know of anyone who can beat Call Union?

    Has anyone used Call Union?

    Woggle, Jul 9, 2006

  3. Woggle

    paul123 Guest

    Woggle wrote:

    > Anyone know of anyone who can beat Call Union?

    voipstunt - € 0.0348 inc vat to landlines
    paul123, Jul 9, 2006
  4. Woggle

    andy Guest

    Woggle wrote:
    > Have got an SPA 3000 and currently running voip.co.uk
    >
    > Am off to South Africa with work for the whole of September and would
    > like your thoughts on this.
    >
    > Am trying to work out the cheapest way for my wife to call me whilst
    > I'm out there.
    >

    > She'll be calling from a mix of both her mobile and our landline (can
    > you route calls from her mobile through voip.co.uk or similar?) and
    > she'll be calling to a mix of my mobile and a landline.
    >

    > I'm trying to work out the cheapest way to do it:
    >
    > - is it worth asking her to dial into our home number and then out on a
    > cheaper line?
    > - will I need to change voip.co.uk or add another voip provider? Any
    > thoughts
    > - Will I need a South African mobile SIM card or should I keep my UK
    > one?

    Roaming costs on a UK phone will negate any other savings you can make.

    I'd definitely say get a different SIM card, either South African or
    one of the global ones with free incoming calls. If you get an Isle of
    Man numbered one, she can call you cheaply from landline with 18185
    prefix or via Voipcheap.com both for 5p/min, 18185 2p at weekends. With
    a ZA SIM, calls to it or callback with it would be from about 12p

    Depending on which network the UK SiMs are - she could use O2 inclusive
    minutes to an 0844 callthrough number for ZA landline, or on Orange
    T-mobile or Virgin 07744 callthrough numbers come from inclusive
    minutes, some providers even reaching South African mobile on weekdays
    andy, Jul 9, 2006
  5. "paul123" <> wrote in message

    Woggle wrote:

    > Anyone know of anyone who can beat Call Union?

    voipstunt - ? 0.0348 inc vat to landlines

    Or if she wants to dial from a BT or NTL line without any bother, or
    registration, 4p/minute from www.Dialwise.co.uk
    Just dial 0844 428 46 46 then the South Africa number, or 10p/minute to
    South Africa mobiles using 0871 999 91 91
    Harry Stottle, Jul 9, 2006
  6. Woggle

    PeterW Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    "Woggle" <> wrote in

    > Have got an SPA 3000 and currently running voip.co.uk
    >
    > Am off to South Africa with work for the whole of September and would
    > like your thoughts on this.
    >
    > Am trying to work out the cheapest way for my wife to call me whilst
    > I'm out there.
    >

    > She'll be calling from a mix of both her mobile and our landline (can
    > you route calls from her mobile through voip.co.uk or similar?) and
    > she'll be calling to a mix of my mobile and a landline.
    >

    > I'm trying to work out the cheapest way to do it:
    >
    > - is it worth asking her to dial into our home number and then out on a
    > cheaper line?
    > - will I need to change voip.co.uk or add another voip provider? Any
    > thoughts
    > - Will I need a South African mobile SIM card or should I keep my UK
    > one?
    >

    > Thanks!
    >

    > Mark

    Have a look at http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com/Peak/phone-
    rates/SouthAfrica.shtml

    There are 7 companies (dialthrough) at 3p/min. I have used a couple of
    these in the past (Telestunt & DiscountDial) and they seem to work OK. It
    costs around 5p of course if the destination is engaged, but its better
    than BT's 52p/min. They must think that we are all idiots. How can they
    justify seventeen times the price.

    Peter
    PeterW, Jul 10, 2006