    peak with by was 1p per min. Sipiscount appears to be about 18c / min?

    Any advice??

    Ohhh I know about www.saynoto0870.com

    PhilÅ, Jan 29, 2006

  2. In article <8N0Df.71437$>,
    "PhilÅ" <> writes:
    > As per header.
    >
    > I have ditched my BT line, occasionally I require to ring a 0870 number, off
    > peak with by was 1p per min. Sipiscount appears to be about 18c / min?
    >
    > Any advice??
    >
    > Ohhh I know about www.saynoto0870.com

    I advise companies that I won't deal with them unless they provide
    me with a geographic priced number. This isn't something I have to
    say very often, but so far I've always got one, and in one case
    where they didn't know it, they gave me an 0800 number instead.

    0870 will go away if people make it clear to companies that they
    refuse to use it.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Jan 29, 2006

  3. PhilÅ

    Peter M Guest

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > 0870 will go away if people make it clear to companies that they
    > refuse to use it.

    Hardly. There are a number of services (eg fax to e-mail) which
    would not be economic on a geographic number, and while you may
    feel some sense of 'winning' when you refuse to deal with some
    firm where they have an 0870 number, there are equally going
    to be some people/firms which think "if you feel an 0870 is
    too costly, we're happy not to have you call".

    I certainly get no unwanted calls from those who have 'inclusive'
    calls to geographic numbers, who might otherwise call, and while
    we're about it, not everyone using an 0870 gets any 'income' nor
    do all of them force calls into a queue to force longer duration
    calls than absolutely necessary. Peter Morgan.

    Peter M, Jan 29, 2006
  4. PhilÅ

    Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:46:47 +0000, Peter M <>
    wrote:

    >There are a number of services (eg fax to e-mail) which
    >would not be economic on a geographic number,

    That's about to end in any case. The rules are being tightened up.
    0845 will continue, but I can't see any economic future for 0870.

    , Jan 29, 2006
  5. PhilÅ

    Peter M Guest

    wrote:

    > That's about to end in any case. The rules are being tightened up.
    > 0845 will continue, but I can't see any economic future for 0870.

    I suspect it depends on whether it's a third-party which does the
    fax to e-mail service, or the 'telco' doing it. If the former, a
    change to any payments will make it uneconomic, but I doubt there
    will be any difference for Thus/Demon's service, to name but one.

    Peter M, Jan 29, 2006
  6. Peter M wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> That's about to end in any case. The rules are being tightened up.
    >> 0845 will continue, but I can't see any economic future for 0870.

    > I suspect it depends on whether it's a third-party which does the
    > fax to e-mail service, or the 'telco' doing it. If the former, a
    > change to any payments will make it uneconomic, but I doubt there
    > will be any difference for Thus/Demon's service, to name but one.

    God I hope not, I must confess I'f be livid if the quick tele service
    stopped, but the Demon one is a bit more important to me.

    It's a shame they don't let non-demon customers sign up.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 29, 2006
  7. PhilÅ

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > Peter M wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's about to end in any case. The rules are being tightened up.
    >>> 0845 will continue, but I can't see any economic future for 0870.

    >> I suspect it depends on whether it's a third-party which does the
    >> fax to e-mail service, or the 'telco' doing it. If the former, a
    >> change to any payments will make it uneconomic, but I doubt there
    >> will be any difference for Thus/Demon's service, to name but one.
    >>

    > God I hope not, I must confess I'f be livid if the quick tele service
    > stopped, but the Demon one is a bit more important to me.
    >
    > It's a shame they don't let non-demon customers sign up.

    Whilst we're on the subject, some of you may find this website of some use:

    http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk/search.php

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Jan 30, 2006
  8. Peter Corlett, Jan 30, 2006
  9. PhilÅ

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Peter Corlett wrote:
    > Paul Hayes <> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.spam0870spam.co.uk/search.php

    > What would I do without that URL being posted all over Usenet every 30
    > seconds?

    Well, apologies if it gets posted all the time, I've not seen it on here
    before. I fail to see how it is spam though, it's just a free to use
    database of alternative phone numbers and I am not affiliated with it in
    any way.

    Paul Hayes, Jan 30, 2006
  10. PhilÅ

    Peter M Guest

    Paul Hayes wrote:

    > ... I've not seen it on here before.

    Just go back to the start of this thread...

    " Ohhh I know about www.saynoto0870.com "

    (then quoted in first follow-up...)

    Peter M.

    Peter M, Jan 30, 2006
  11. Paul Hayes <> wrote:
    [...]
    > Well, apologies if it gets posted all the time, I've not seen it on
    > here before. I fail to see how it is spam though, it's just a free
    > to use database of alternative phone numbers and I am not affiliated
    > with it in any way.

    Google Groups reckons it's been mentioned in no less than 169 threads
    in uk.telecom.* so far.

    --
    Contrary to general belief, I do not believe that friends are necessarily the
    people you like best, they are merely the people who got there first.

    Peter Corlett, Jan 30, 2006
  12. PhilÅ

    alexd Guest

    Peter M wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> That's about to end in any case. The rules are being tightened up.
    >> 0845 will continue, but I can't see any economic future for 0870.

    > I suspect it depends on whether it's a third-party which does the
    > fax to e-mail service, or the 'telco' doing it. If the former, a
    > change to any payments will make it uneconomic, but I doubt there
    > will be any difference for Thus/Demon's service, to name but one.

    Well thank you very much Ofcom! Thanks to you, it's now going to be
    impossble to a fax-to-email service from anyone except a large telco.
    Certainly striking a blow for consumers and freedom of choice there. I'm
    glad my taxes are being spent in such a productive fashion.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:06:23 up 5 days, 23 min, 3 users, load average: 1.03, 0.49, 0.30

    alexd, Jan 30, 2006
  13. alexd wrote:

    > Well thank you very much Ofcom! Thanks to you, it's now going to be
    > impossble to a fax-to-email service from anyone except a large telco.
    > Certainly striking a blow for consumers and freedom of choice there. I'm
    > glad my taxes are being spent in such a productive fashion.

    I remember when Ofcom insisted that BT increase (doubled in fact) the
    cost of it's chargecard service because they weren't being competative.

    They don't always seem to want what's best for the consumer.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 31, 2006
  14. PhilÅ

    GwG Guest

    "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in message
    > alexd wrote:
    >>
    >> Well thank you very much Ofcom! Thanks to you, it's now going to be
    >> impossble to a fax-to-email service from anyone except a large telco.
    >> Certainly striking a blow for consumers and freedom of choice there.
    >> I'm
    >> glad my taxes are being spent in such a productive fashion.
    >>

    > I remember when Ofcom insisted that BT increase (doubled in fact) the
    > cost of it's chargecard service because they weren't being
    > competative.
    >
    > They don't always seem to want what's best for the consumer.

    I think if you took a poll of consumers, you would find a lot more in
    favour of scrapping 0870 numbers because of the high charges, than those
    that wanted to keep them, just because they make it possible to provide
    a cheap and convenient fax to email service.

    GwG, Jan 31, 2006
  15. PhilÅ

    wrote:

    > "if you feel an 0870 is
    >too costly, we're happy not to have you call".

    And I am very happy to not have to pay some firm who wants to make me
    pay for a costly telephone call to them to order some expensive
    appliance or other . The same goes for other none Geo numbers also
    with the excepton of 0800 and 0808 numbers may www.sayonto0870.com
    continue to be around for a very long time .

    , Jan 31, 2006
  16. PhilÅ

    Adrian Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:46:47 +0000, Peter M <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "if you feel an 0870 is
    >>> too costly, we're happy not to have you call".

    >> And I am very happy to not have to pay some firm who wants to make me
    >> pay for a costly telephone call to them to order some expensive
    >> appliance or other . The same goes for other none Geo numbers also
    >> with the excepton of 0800 and 0808 numbers may www.sayonto0870.com
    >> continue to be around for a very long time .
    >>

    > At best the company you are calling are only going to be making 4p/min
    > on the call (or .5p/min off-peak).
    > The revenue they get from the phone call won't even go near to paying
    > for someone to answer it, I'm sure you'd be the first person to moan
    > about companies charging more to customers who speak to a telephone
    > sales rep than customers who order from their website. (which doesn't
    > require a sales rep usually).
    >
    > I don't think paying 7.51 (bt daytime) 3.75 (bt evening) 1.50 (bt
    > weekend) per minute to call a sales rep, knowing that you are getting
    > a slightly better service than ordering online is such a great
    > hardship.

    The trouble is you don't get to speak to anyone half the time, you're kept
    on hold for ages, then disconnected.
    --
    Adrian A

    Adrian, Jan 31, 2006

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 31, 2006
  18. Adrian wrote:

    > The trouble is you don't get to speak to anyone half the time, you're kept
    > on hold for ages, then disconnected.

    Surely the fault is with the company, and not with the service, and
    therefore you should boycott the company.

    I've never experienced a problem like that on a sales line, in fact it
    only ever happens when you need to speak to a bank IME (which would
    suggest a better option is voting with your feet).

    You wouldn't start crying to ban aluminium because some bomb casings are
    manufactured from it.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 31, 2006
  19. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    > As per header.
    >
    > I have ditched my BT line, occasionally I require to ring a 0870 number,
    > off peak with by was 1p per min. Sipiscount appears to be about 18c / min?
    >
    > Any advice??
    >
    > Ohhh I know about www.saynoto0870.com

    Sorry about bringing this up, loads of comments about how 0870 is ripping
    people off, but no response to my question, who is the cheapest VOIP 0870
    player.

    I will go and search before someone tells me to, but if someone before me
    has already done the dirty work it would save me half an hour to go
    searching.

    Many thanks

    PhilÅ, Jan 31, 2006
  20. PhilÅ wrote:
    > "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>As per header.
    >>
    >>I have ditched my BT line, occasionally I require to ring a 0870 number,
    >>off peak with by was 1p per min. Sipiscount appears to be about 18c / min?
    >>
    >>Any advice??
    >>
    >>Ohhh I know about www.saynoto0870.com
    >>

    > Sorry about bringing this up, loads of comments about how 0870 is ripping
    > people off, but no response to my question, who is the cheapest VOIP 0870
    > player.
    >
    > I will go and search before someone tells me to, but if someone before me
    > has already done the dirty work it would save me half an hour to go
    > searching.
    >
    > Many thanks

    Sorry, I didn't reply because when I did this last (quite a while ago)
    It was cheaper to call from alandline than any provider I looked at.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 31, 2006