    UK phone number. Any recommendations very welcome.

    Syd
    Norwich
    Syd Hancock, May 16, 2005

  2. Syd Hancock

    Syd Hancock Guest

    Syd Hancock wrote:

    > I simply want to be able to make and receive calls using voip
    > using my current telephone handset, to and from pstn as well as
    > voip connections - in other words a simple replacement for my
    > current phone service. Other features are a bonus but not
    > essential. What is the cheapest and simplest hardware adaptor
    > that I should get?
    >
    > I plan to have an account with a SIP-based provider that offers
    > a UK phone number. Any recommendations very welcome.

    I should add that I have a router (netgear DG834) already so only
    need an adaptor unless there are good reasons to change the
    router as well.

    Syd
    Syd Hancock, May 16, 2005

  3. Syd Hancock

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Syd Hancock" <> wrote in message
    > Syd Hancock wrote:
    >
    >> I simply want to be able to make and receive calls using voip
    >> using my current telephone handset, to and from pstn as well as
    >> voip connections - in other words a simple replacement for my
    >> current phone service. Other features are a bonus but not
    >> essential. What is the cheapest and simplest hardware adaptor
    >> that I should get?
    >>
    >> I plan to have an account with a SIP-based provider that offers
    >> a UK phone number. Any recommendations very welcome.

    > I should add that I have a router (netgear DG834) already so only
    > need an adaptor unless there are good reasons to change the
    > router as well.
    >
    > Syd

    Sipgate (www.sipgate.co.uk) offer free geographic phone numbers, all calls
    to other SIP users on several networks are free also, you only pay for
    calls to the PSTN.

    The system has had more than its fair share of problems recently, so you
    may well find others warning you off them, but IMHO for a totally free
    service it's very good and the call quality is excellent. There is a free
    voicemail service also, this however is having the irritating problem of
    lapsing into German every so often, but on the plus side I'm learning a
    new language (well at least as far as knowing if I have a new message or
    not <g>)

    The adaptor I use is the Sipura SPA-2000 (www.sipura.com) but there are
    others from the same and different manufacturers that all have their plus
    and minus points. I'm very happy with my Sipura and would recommend it to
    anyone, I wouldn't recommend the Grandstream products though.

    If you need any more info, ask.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 16, 2005
  4. On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:10:33 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    > I'm very happy with my Sipura and would recommend it to
    >anyone, I wouldn't recommend the Grandstream products though.
    >
    >If you need any more info, ask.

    can you expand on the Grandstream non-recommendation ?

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, May 16, 2005
  5. Syd Hancock

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:10:33 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm very happy with my Sipura and would recommend it to
    >>anyone, I wouldn't recommend the Grandstream products though.
    >>
    >>If you need any more info, ask.

    > can you expand on the Grandstream non-recommendation ?
    >
    > Phil

    Firmware can be somewhat flaky and build quality isn't the best. The
    Sipura range excels on build and the latest firmware on my SPA-2000 hasn't
    got any bugs that I've found so far, and I'm the world expert at finding
    things wrong with systems <g>

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 16, 2005
  6. Syd Hancock

    Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:20:11 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    > The
    >Sipura range excels on build and the latest firmware on my SPA-2000 hasn't
    >got any bugs that I've found so far, and I'm the world expert at finding
    >things wrong with systems <g>

    Couldn't agree more with what you are saying here Ivor I haven't
    upgraded the firmware in my two and both are working perfectly it is
    only Sipgate that hasn't been working :)) regarding the firmware I am
    a great believer in the old saying " If it ain't broken don't fix it"
    , May 16, 2005
  7. Syd Hancock

    Dave Gill Guest

    Phil Thompson <> wrote:

    > can you expand on the Grandstream non-recommendation ?

    I started off with the Grandstream ATA-486. I used it in router
    configuration and it worked "OK". I didn't have the lock-up/crash
    problems that some people have reported, but the browser interface would
    go to sleep after a day or so and could only be restarted by rebooting
    the ATA (didn't seem to affect calls though...).

    I now use a Sipura 1001 (perfect for what I need but YMMV) running in
    client config (it can't be used as a router) and once I got over the
    shock of how many pages of options there were I'm more than happy with
    it. And it doesn't need a regular reboot to keep it going. :)

    Dave Gill, May 16, 2005
  8. Syd Hancock

    Martin² Guest

    You ask for the cheapest, that, AFAIK Linksys PAP2 ATA.
    Anyone has tried it ?
    Zyxel has some too, haven't found a vendor yet.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², May 17, 2005
  9. Syd Hancock

    Syd Hancock Guest

    Many thanks for the replies. Looks like Sipura is the way to go -
    can't stand flaky hardware. life's too short.

    Am I right in thinking that the only differenee between the 1001
    and the 2000 is that the latter has two phone sockets?

    Anyone any experience of using Gradwell? Any other
    recommendations?

    Thanks
    Syd
    Syd Hancock, May 18, 2005
  10. Syd Hancock

    Dave Gill Guest

    Syd Hancock <> wrote:

    > Am I right in thinking that the only differenee between the 1001
    > and the 2000 is that the latter has two phone sockets?

    Sort of. The 1001 copes with two incoming lines, but both use the same
    phone. The 2000 copes with two incoming lines, but each line has its
    own phone socket - it isn't able to route both lines to one socket.

    > Anyone any experience of using Gradwell? Any other
    > recommendations?

    Gradwell's set-up is aimed primarily at business users, with lots of
    features for extentions etc, but it is reliable. For an individual user
    it costs £4/month +VAT (after the 3 month free trial), with no inclusive
    minutes, which is a bit pricy compared to some of the others (Sipgate =
    free, JustDialVoip = £1.99). On the plus side, it works and, unlike
    some of the other VoIP providers around at the moment, I expect them to
    stick around for a while...

    Dave Gill, May 18, 2005
  11. Syd Hancock

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    The device you seek is right here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5776892519&rd=1&sspagenam
    e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

    excerpt from web site..

    COMBINE-A-LINE .. Imagine..1=2

    Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering
    machine, caller ID or PC Modem on TWO phone lines?.. Automatically?

    OR

    How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone jack
    into a single handset?

    OR

    USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as
    well!

    OR

    see if anybody picks-up, on anotheer line trunk, after you are already in a
    telco call???

    THEN...........................................

    Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines to
    be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC. Centralizing and
    PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication equipment for your
    home office or for the family.

    Combine-A-Line supports all services from your telephone company including
    Caller ID. It also has two line surge protectors to make sure that you are
    Protecting your equipment.

    Use combine-aline to automatically switch between VOIP and pots (rboc) plain
    local line, hands free!.

    SECURITY of your calls are enhanced because the CLT displays if anybody
    picks -up the line after you are in a call! So, it has security features
    just in case someone is wire tapping or listens in after you are in a call.
    The LED display will indicate any disruption to the line.

    Easy to use, No batteries or power supply, and no programming needed! Our
    re-sellers have reported that ..."elimination of the noisy and cumbersome
    power supply wires, reduces the Hum & Noise one hears then when connected
    to household power supplies"

    Automate and organize your telecommunications equipment and desktop wires
    with Combine-A-Line.

    USE BUY NOW and get FREE SHIPPING OPTION

    "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline connection

    that

    Marc H.Popek, May 25, 2005
  12. Syd Hancock

    JuliusP Guest

    I could be wrong, but I don't think the charter of this group allows
    sales blurb, I think this is to curb Americans trying to sell crappy
    devices on Ebay to unsuspecting Brits :)

    If Brits wanted such devices they could purchase similar garbage on
    www.ebay.co.uk from a British supplier of such crappy devices
    JuliusP, May 25, 2005
  13. Syd Hancock

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "JuliusP" <> wrote in message

    > I could be wrong, but I don't think the charter of this group allows
    > sales blurb, I think this is to curb Americans trying to sell crappy
    > devices on Ebay to unsuspecting Brits :)
    >
    > If Brits wanted such devices they could purchase similar garbage on
    > www.ebay.co.uk from a British supplier of such crappy devices

    This guy spams every comms group he can think of on a regular basis. Just
    killfile him and report it to his ISP.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 25, 2005
  14. Syd Hancock

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    Julius,

    such language!

    as we hold the patent on the battery free switch there is a 99 chance that
    we manufacture and supply the Brit purveyor of crap!

    I am sorry if I stubbed any toes in this group

    Marc H.Popek, May 26, 2005
  15. Syd Hancock

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    Ivor,

    I am sorry for having snubbed your toe and overstated the Combine-line sales
    blurb in your news group. Will refrain....

    Marco

    Marc H.Popek, May 26, 2005
  16. Syd Hancock

    Maverick Guest

    Just set up my Linksys PAP2 with Blueyonder 1mb and using a dect phone no
    problems so far (sipgate). Really chuffed but have no experience of other
    products to compare it with....

    Mav

    Maverick, Jun 4, 2005