    --
    Will
    westes AT earthbroadcast.com
    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes, Dec 17, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes <> wrote:
    :What is the cheapest Cisco router (current or discontinued) that supports
    :three 10/100 ethernets and policy based routing? I need to change the
    :destination route based on source IP address.

    'supports' 10/100 at what throughput level?

    You could get 3 100 Mbit interfaces by using a Cisco 1701 (one port
    built in) and putting a WIC-4ESW four-port fast-ethernet switch
    (switch!!) WIC into it. Or just use the 1711/1712 which is exactly
    that design.

    If you need the 3 interfaces to be on different subnets, then
    you -might- be able to do a 1721 (one port built in) with
    two of the WIC-4ESW, but the WIC-4ESW is not listed in the product
    literature for the 1721. I believe the WIC-4ESW is relatively
    new, and perhaps the literature has not caught up yet, but also
    it could be that only the 1701, 1711 and 1712 support it -- it
    isn't even listed in the compatibility matrix. And it wouldn't
    surprise me if only one such WIC is supported in a device.

    For full official support for 3 10/100 on different subnets, it
    looks to me that you are into a 2691 or 3620 with NM-1FE2W or
    NM-2FE2W. And if you want to be able to do wire speeds
    on those FE's, then you are up into the higher end of the 36xx
    series.

    Or, you could just go for something like a Cat3550 Multilayer
    Switch, which despite it's name really is a router with
    (limited) PBR support.
    --
    Disobey all self-referential sentences!
    Walter Roberson, Dec 17, 2003

  3. CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

    John Llort Guest

    "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > What is the cheapest Cisco router (current or discontinued) that supports
    > three 10/100 ethernets and policy based routing? I need to change the
    > destination route based on source IP address.
    >
    > --
    > Will
    > westes AT earthbroadcast.com

    How cheap???
    John Llort, Dec 17, 2003
  4. I went with the first poster's advise and bought a used 3620 with the two
    ethernet ports for under $1K. That was cheap enough. :)

    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes, Dec 17, 2003
  5. CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

    John Llort Guest

    "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <> wrote in
    message news:p...
    > I went with the first poster's advise and bought a used 3620 with the two
    > ethernet ports for under $1K. That was cheap enough. :)
    >
    > --
    > Will
    > westes AT earthbroadcast.com

    Not bad.
    John Llort, Dec 17, 2003
  6. In article <>,
    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes <> wrote:
    :I went with the first poster's advise and bought a used 3620 with the two
    :ethernet ports for under $1K. That was cheap enough. :)

    Ohhh... looks like the 3620 has no built-in ethernet ports, so
    to get 3 10/100 interfaces, you would need to use two NM-2FE2W-V2.
    Which, fortunately, it does support. It appears that with the
    original NM-2FE2W, you can only do 10 Mbit.

    "For the NM-1FE2W-V2 and NM-2FE2W-V2 the minimum level IOS is 12.2(12)M
    and 12.2(13)T."

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer...s259/products_data_sheet09186a00801aa71c.html

    If you bought the 3620 used, it might well not have 12.2(13)T or later,
    so unless you can update under one of the security advisories, you
    could be in for a rough ride -- Cisco requires that used devices
    be "relicensed" now before they will sell you an IOS update.
    --
    Look out, there are llamas!
    Walter Roberson, Dec 17, 2003
  7. Thanks, this will help navigate things quite a bit.

    Cisco makes it so painful to support used equipment that it is cheaper for
    me to buy two used products and obtain support elsewhere.

    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes, Dec 17, 2003