    veritas Guest

    Does anyone know what the cheapest digital camera { compact , ultra , P &
    S } that is still very reliable ?

    veritas, Nov 23, 2006

  2. veritas wrote:
    > Does anyone know what the cheapest digital camera { compact , ultra ,
    > P & S } that is still very reliable ?

    My Nikon Coolpix is in it's 4th year of operation without a fault. Is this
    what you mean?

    Dennis

    Dennis Pogson, Nov 23, 2006

  3. "veritas" <> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know what the cheapest digital camera { compact , ultra , P &
    > S } that is still very reliable ?

    I have a Logitech "eyeball" webcam which can take single pictures and store
    them on the computer.
    Very, very reliable.
    Purchased 3 years ago for $45 (Australian) and still going strong.

    Gerrit

    Gerrit 't Hart, Nov 23, 2006
  4. veritas

    m Ransley Guest

    Wallmart 15$ a Phillips. Reliability survey reports are published by
    several companies, Google, but in the cheap range it might be Kodak and
    sony

    m Ransley, Nov 23, 2006
  5. veritas

    JohnR66 Guest

    "veritas" <> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know what the cheapest digital camera { compact , ultra , P &
    > S } that is still very reliable ?

    Consumer Reports stated that digital cameras in general are among the most
    reliable of the electronic devices they've tested. They test only the name
    brands and the percent of reported problems are within just a few percent
    from best to worst. Image quality is very rated high on all but a few
    models, but I like to make my own judgment call there. You may want to pick
    up the 'Zine and have a look.

    Avoid the the sub $100 no name "blister pack'" cameras. They may be
    reliable, but image quality is nothing near what they claim the megapixels
    are.

    John

    JohnR66, Nov 23, 2006
  6. JohnR66 wrote:
    > "veritas" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what the cheapest digital camera { compact , ultra , P &
    > > S } that is still very reliable ?
    > >

    > Consumer Reports stated that digital cameras in general are among the most
    > reliable of the electronic devices they've tested. They test only the name
    > brands and the percent of reported problems are within just a few percent
    > from best to worst. Image quality is very rated high on all but a few
    > models, but I like to make my own judgment call there. You may want to pick
    > up the 'Zine and have a look.
    >
    > Avoid the the sub $100 no name "blister pack'" cameras. They may be
    > reliable, but image quality is nothing near what they claim the megapixels
    > are.
    >
    > John

    Further, some of the cheaper "blister pack" cameras do not use flash
    cards. They have only an internal memory- I don't know which
    technology but it is not flash- and the batteries only last a few
    hours, and run down even when "turned off". That is, they use battery
    power to store the images. When you take pictures you need to rush home
    to download them before the battery dies and all images disappear.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 24, 2006
  7. veritas

    John Turco Guest

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

    > JohnR66 wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > > Avoid the the sub $100 no name "blister pack'" cameras. They may be
    > > reliable, but image quality is nothing near what they claim the megapixels
    > > are.
    > >
    > > John

    > Further, some of the cheaper "blister pack" cameras do not use flash
    > cards. They have only an internal memory- I don't know which
    > technology but it is not flash- and the batteries only last a few
    > hours, and run down even when "turned off". That is, they use battery
    > power to store the images. When you take pictures you need to rush home
    > to download them before the battery dies and all images disappear.

    Hello, Don:

    Those small "keychain cameras" all use volatile SDRAM memory, just as
    PC's do. This accounts for their horrid battery life and high potential
    for image loss.

    There's one partial exception that I have personal knowledge of,
    however. It's my VistaQuest VQ1005 "keycam" (1.3 megapixel; $19.96 USD,
    at Wal-Mart); which, in addition to SDRAM, also features an SD slot.

    The same rapid cell drainage problem, applies to the VQ1005, sad to say.
    (It takes a single AAA.) Fortunately, any pictures already stored on the
    flash card aren't affected by power loss.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 26, 2006
  8. John Turco wrote:
    > Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
    > snip
    > >
    > > Further, some of the cheaper "blister pack" cameras do not use flash
    > > cards. They have only an internal memory- I don't know which
    > > technology but it is not flash- and the batteries only last a few
    > > hours, and run down even when "turned off". That is, they use battery
    > > power to store the images. When you take pictures you need to rush home
    > > to download them before the battery dies and all images disappear.

    > Hello, Don:
    >
    > Those small "keychain cameras" all use volatile SDRAM memory, just as
    > PC's do. This accounts for their horrid battery life and high potential
    > for image loss.
    >
    > There's one partial exception that I have personal knowledge of,
    > however. It's my VistaQuest VQ1005 "keycam" (1.3 megapixel; $19.96 USD,
    > at Wal-Mart); which, in addition to SDRAM, also features an SD slot.
    >
    > The same rapid cell drainage problem, applies to the VQ1005, sad to say.
    > (It takes a single AAA.) Fortunately, any pictures already stored on the
    > flash card aren't affected by power loss.
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    Does the battery run down even with power off? That is, can you extend
    battery life by keeping it powered up for minimum time while taking
    pixs?

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 26, 2006
  9. veritas

    John Turco Guest

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:
    > > Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
    > > snip
    > > >
    > > > Further, some of the cheaper "blister pack" cameras do not use flash
    > > > cards. They have only an internal memory- I don't know which
    > > > technology but it is not flash- and the batteries only last a few
    > > > hours, and run down even when "turned off". That is, they use battery
    > > > power to store the images. When you take pictures you need to rush home
    > > > to download them before the battery dies and all images disappear.

    > > Hello, Don:
    > >
    > > Those small "keychain cameras" all use volatile SDRAM memory, just as
    > > PC's do. This accounts for their horrid battery life and high potential
    > > for image loss.
    > >
    > > There's one partial exception that I have personal knowledge of,
    > > however. It's my VistaQuest VQ1005 "keycam" (1.3 megapixel; $19.96 USD,
    > > at Wal-Mart); which, in addition to SDRAM, also features an SD slot.
    > >
    > > The same rapid cell drainage problem, applies to the VQ1005, sad to say.
    > > (It takes a single AAA.) Fortunately, any pictures already stored on the
    > > flash card aren't affected by power loss.
    > >

    > > Cordially,
    > > John Turco <>

    > Does the battery run down even with power off? That is, can you extend
    > battery life by keeping it powered up for minimum time while taking
    > pixs?

    Hello, Don:

    The VQ1005 is just as much of an energy hog as the SDRAM-only digicams.
    Even its instruction sheet advises owners to remove the battery, when
    not using the camera.

    Can't get more explicit than that, eh?

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>