    connection as does the 7050 model?
    Also will this feature work voip to voip?

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Brian A

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > 1. There are quite a few sites selling 'Fritzbox Fon
    > WLAN' but when you look more closely it isn't the 7140.

    Has anyone said it was..?

    > The 7140 has 4 LAN connections amd 2 Analogue VOIP.
    > I am looking for the best price. Any suggestions?

    If I were you I'd hold on a while and wait for the 7170 (just out in
    Germany) to become available in the UK. As well as the 4 LAN ports it has
    three phone ports.

    > 2. Am I correct in thinking that this will operate as a
    > stand alone router, thus allowing connection to a cable
    > modem?

    Yes, it has a built in ADSL modem but this can be disabled.

    > 3. Does the 7140 allow an incoming call to dial out via a
    > voip connection as does the 7050 model?
    > Also will this feature work voip to voip?

    I believe so, my original Fritz!Box Fon (non wireless) has the feature but
    I've never had the need to try it.

    As I said, unless you're desperate for time, wait for the 7170.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 15, 2006

  3. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 01:56:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >> 1. There are quite a few sites selling 'Fritzbox Fon
    >> WLAN' but when you look more closely it isn't the 7140.

    >Has anyone said it was..?
    >
    >> The 7140 has 4 LAN connections amd 2 Analogue VOIP.
    >> I am looking for the best price. Any suggestions?

    >If I were you I'd hold on a while and wait for the 7170 (just out in
    >Germany) to become available in the UK. As well as the 4 LAN ports it has
    >three phone ports.
    >
    >> 2. Am I correct in thinking that this will operate as a
    >> stand alone router, thus allowing connection to a cable
    >> modem?

    >Yes, it has a built in ADSL modem but this can be disabled.
    >
    >> 3. Does the 7140 allow an incoming call to dial out via a
    >> voip connection as does the 7050 model?
    >> Also will this feature work voip to voip?

    >I believe so, my original Fritz!Box Fon (non wireless) has the feature but
    >I've never had the need to try it.
    >
    >As I said, unless you're desperate for time, wait for the 7170.
    >

    >Ivor

    Thanks Ivor. All noted. I think that I will wait as you advise.
    I have seen some negative comments on the 7140.
    One poster said he was onto his second one and advised not to buy
    unless they sort out the firmware. Another said that there was
    excessive nise on PSTN.
    I have looked at Draytek but they are very expensive.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Dec 15, 2006
  4. Brian A

    Stu Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > 1. There are quite a few sites selling 'Fritzbox Fon WLAN' but when
    > you look more closely it isn't the 7140. The 7140 has 4 LAN
    > connections amd 2 Analogue VOIP.
    > I am looking for the best price. Any suggestions?

    I bought mine here in NL for EUR 159,10 from zercom.nl. It's now reduced
    to EUR 152,60. I'm sure you'll get ripped off for a higher price living
    on the island ;-)

    > 2. Am I correct in thinking that this will operate as a stand alone
    > router, thus allowing connection to a cable modem?

    No problem. Can configure it to accept a LAN connection on port 1.

    > 3. Does the 7140 allow an incoming call to dial out via a voip
    > connection as does the 7050 model?

    Yep. I set mine up to accept a connection on POTS. Then dials out on VoIP.

    > Also will this feature work voip to voip?

    Yep, you can select whichever connection you want to receive incoming
    calls. You then enter a PIN, press 0 to connect to your outgoing VoIP
    line and then dial. Easy!

    Stu
    Stu, Dec 15, 2006
  5. Brian A

    Herman Guest

    "Herman" <> wrote in message
    > "Stu" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian A wrote:
    >>> 1. There are quite a few sites selling 'Fritzbox Fon WLAN' but when
    >>> you look more closely it isn't the 7140. The 7140 has 4 LAN
    >>> connections amd 2 Analogue VOIP.
    >>> I am looking for the best price. Any suggestions?

    >> I bought mine here in NL for EUR 159,10 from zercom.nl. It's now reduced
    >> to EUR 152,60. I'm sure you'll get ripped off for a higher price living
    >> on the island ;-)

    > Be careful, this is annex B, and not suitable for the UK, I think. This
    > annex system is a good way to rip the islanders off!

    Apologies should have looked a bit further - it also has the Annex A
    version, which is cheaper than Annex B
    Herman, Dec 15, 2006
  6. Brian A

    Herman Guest

    Herman, Dec 15, 2006
  7. Brian A

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Herman" <> wrote in
    message news:9DFgh.6818$
    > "Herman" <> wrote in
    > message news:cFFgh.10886$...
    > > "Stu" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I bought mine here in NL for EUR 159,10 from
    > > > zercom.nl. It's now reduced to EUR 152,60. I'm sure
    > > > you'll get ripped off for a higher price living on
    > > > the island ;-)

    > > Be careful, this is annex B, and not suitable for the
    > > UK, I think. This annex system is a good way to rip
    > > the islanders off!

    > Apologies should have looked a bit further - it also has
    > the Annex A version, which is cheaper than Annex B

    I'll wait for the Annex A version of the 7170. 3 phone ports amongst other
    things.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 16, 2006
  8. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:07:53 +0100, Stu <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >> 1. There are quite a few sites selling 'Fritzbox Fon WLAN' but when
    >> you look more closely it isn't the 7140. The 7140 has 4 LAN
    >> connections amd 2 Analogue VOIP.
    >> I am looking for the best price. Any suggestions?

    >I bought mine here in NL for EUR 159,10 from zercom.nl. It's now reduced
    >to EUR 152,60. I'm sure you'll get ripped off for a higher price living
    >on the island ;-)
    >
    >> 2. Am I correct in thinking that this will operate as a stand alone
    >> router, thus allowing connection to a cable modem?

    >No problem. Can configure it to accept a LAN connection on port 1.
    >
    >> 3. Does the 7140 allow an incoming call to dial out via a voip
    >> connection as does the 7050 model?

    >Yep. I set mine up to accept a connection on POTS. Then dials out on VoIP.
    >
    >> Also will this feature work voip to voip?

    >Yep, you can select whichever connection you want to receive incoming
    >calls. You then enter a PIN, press 0 to connect to your outgoing VoIP
    >line and then dial. Easy!
    >
    >Stu

    Thanks for all your comments.
    1. Am I to assume that we are 'Annex A' ?
    2. I took a look at the site. i don't understand a word of Dutch but
    managed to find the product and add it to the basket - just to test if
    I could use it OK. I see they charge Euro8 for delivery but, how much
    to the UK - any idea?
    3. The prices are considerably cheaper than I've seen here. As it is
    in the EU do I assume correctly that there are no extra charges for
    customs etc.
    4. Do their charges include VAT?
    5. I assume that you are pleased with your Fritzbox and that,
    hopefully, some of the bad reviews I have read from individuals aren't
    'standard' faults in the design.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Dec 16, 2006
  9. Brian A

    Herman Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for all your comments.
    > 1. Am I to assume that we are 'Annex A' ?

    Yes
    > 2. I took a look at the site. i don't understand a word of Dutch but
    > managed to find the product and add it to the basket - just to test if
    > I could use it OK. I see they charge Euro8 for delivery but, how much
    > to the UK - any idea?

    I have used my best Dutch to ask the question via their contact form - will
    let you know if there is a reply. Alternatively, you could give them a call
    (I don't know a single Dutch person who can't speak at least passable
    English!) You will need to register in any case to get the goods, but they
    may not be able to accept visa etc. (they like to use their own version of
    Switch over there and sometimes foreign cards can be a bit problematic).
    However they do also like bank transfers and this is possible although your
    bank will charge you about a tenner for doing this.
    > 3. The prices are considerably cheaper than I've seen here. As it is
    > in the EU do I assume correctly that there are no extra charges for
    > customs etc.

    The rule in the EU is that you will only ever pay VAT once, and I believe it
    also your choice where you pay this. No duties though
    > 4. Do their charges include VAT?

    Yes. (keyword BTW)
    > 5. I assume that you are pleased with your Fritzbox and that,
    > hopefully, some of the bad reviews I have read from individuals aren't
    > 'standard' faults in the design.

    I am pleased with my 7050. Dialling rules aren't so flexible as Asterisk,
    but it works pretty much out of the box. Much better than the Linksys,
    particularly with registration (once the registration drops on my Linksys,
    it gives up trying!) Just gutted I didn't spot this site before to get it a
    bit cheaper
    Herman, Dec 16, 2006
  10. Brian A

    Stu Guest

    > I have used my best Dutch to ask the question via their contact form - will
    > let you know if there is a reply. Alternatively, you could give them a call
    > (I don't know a single Dutch person who can't speak at least passable
    > English!) You will need to register in any case to get the goods, but they
    > may not be able to accept visa etc. (they like to use their own version of
    > Switch over there and sometimes foreign cards can be a bit problematic).

    Credit card usage is not common in most of mainland Europe for everyday
    purchases. Hence you also don't get the spiralling UK debt problem
    either. PIN/Maestro card or bank transfer is the norm. Bank transfers
    usually clear in 1-2 days and since it can be done online it's easy.
    Most people only get a credit card for when they go abroad.

    > However they do also like bank transfers and this is possible although your
    > bank will charge you about a tenner for doing this.

    Holy crap 10 UKP. Euro banks are not allowed to charge to send euros to
    any other euro account in the EU. I can send up to EUR 50.000 back to
    the UK and convert it to UKP for 5 euro. If you can convince a place to
    accept Paypal that'll be a lot cheaper since there's no commission.

    >> 3. The prices are considerably cheaper than I've seen here. As it is
    >> in the EU do I assume correctly that there are no extra charges for
    >> customs etc.

    > The rule in the EU is that you will only ever pay VAT once, and I believe it
    > also your choice where you pay this. No duties though

    No you pay VAT in the country of purchase.

    >> 5. I assume that you are pleased with your Fritzbox and that,
    >> hopefully, some of the bad reviews I have read from individuals aren't
    >> 'standard' faults in the design.

    I can't say the service of Zercom was outstanding, especially when I had
    a problem with my 7140. Personally I wouldn't buy from them again. I've
    bought from 4launch.nl, they were better. Here's a nice Dutch website to
    compare prices, maybe you can find one that'll accept CCs.

    http://tinyurl.com/ygqe74
    Stu, Dec 17, 2006
  11. Brian A

    Martin² Guest

    >I can send up to EUR 50.000 back to the UK and convert it to UKP for 5
    >euro.

    If you use the IBAN (international Bank Account No.) and BIC (Bank
    Identification Code), which you should find
    on your UK bank statement, then there is NO CHARGE for receiving payment in
    Euro.
    However they still clobber you on exchange rate !
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Dec 18, 2006
  12. Brian A

    Tim Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > I have seen some negative comments on the 7140.
    > One poster said he was onto his second one and advised not to buy
    > unless they sort out the firmware. Another said that there was
    > excessive nise on PSTN.

    I've just received a 7140 today.

    I'll have a play and report back.

    Tim
    Tim, Dec 18, 2006
  13. Brian A

    Stu Guest

    >> I can send up to EUR 50.000 back to the UK and convert it to UKP for 5
    >> euro.

    > If you use the IBAN (international Bank Account No.) and BIC (Bank
    > Identification Code), which you should find
    > on your UK bank statement, then there is NO CHARGE for receiving payment in
    > Euro.

    I send the amount in UKP from my NL account online to the UK. The charge
    is levied by the NL bank - so it's reasonable! I get almost the
    commercial rate and it clears faster than a standard BACS transfer, 1-2
    days.

    There's no charge for sending euros with IBAN/BIC assuming it goes to
    another euro currency account. I once sent euros to a UK bank from NL
    and I got stung twice for charges, since it was cleared by 2 UK banks on
    the way. Never again! Rip-off UK banks.
    Stu, Dec 18, 2006
  14. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:37:16 +0000, Tim <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >> I have seen some negative comments on the 7140.
    >> One poster said he was onto his second one and advised not to buy
    >> unless they sort out the firmware. Another said that there was
    >> excessive nise on PSTN.

    >I've just received a 7140 today.
    >
    >I'll have a play and report back.

    Thanks that will be veeery useful!

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Dec 18, 2006
  15. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:20:38 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Thanks for all your comments.
    >> 1. Am I to assume that we are 'Annex A' ?

    >Yes
    >> 2. I took a look at the site. i don't understand a word of Dutch but
    >> managed to find the product and add it to the basket - just to test if
    >> I could use it OK. I see they charge Euro8 for delivery but, how much
    >> to the UK - any idea?

    >I have used my best Dutch to ask the question via their contact form - will
    >let you know if there is a reply.

    Thanks, and for all the other info.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Dec 18, 2006
  16. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:41:43 +0100, Stu <> wrote:

    >>> I can send up to EUR 50.000 back to the UK and convert it to UKP for 5
    >>> euro.

    >> If you use the IBAN (international Bank Account No.) and BIC (Bank
    >> Identification Code), which you should find
    >> on your UK bank statement, then there is NO CHARGE for receiving payment in
    >> Euro.

    >I send the amount in UKP from my NL account online to the UK. The charge
    >is levied by the NL bank - so it's reasonable! I get almost the
    >commercial rate and it clears faster than a standard BACS transfer, 1-2
    >days.
    >
    >There's no charge for sending euros with IBAN/BIC assuming it goes to
    >another euro currency account. I once sent euros to a UK bank from NL
    >and I got stung twice for charges, since it was cleared by 2 UK banks on
    >the way. Never again! Rip-off UK banks.

    How does this relate to the charges levied on cards used abroad in
    'hole in the wall' machines? I do know that, in this case, Nationwide
    do not make a charge although they do say that a charge may be made by
    the foreign bank where the cash is drawn.
    IF this is similar, then, presumably, there could be a transfer made
    from the UK to a foreign vendor at no charge - but is it similar or an
    intirely different affair?
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Dec 18, 2006
  17. Brian A

    Herman Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:20:38 GMT, "Herman"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Thanks for all your comments.
    >>> 1. Am I to assume that we are 'Annex A' ?

    >>Yes
    >>> 2. I took a look at the site. i don't understand a word of Dutch but
    >>> managed to find the product and add it to the basket - just to test if
    >>> I could use it OK. I see they charge Euro8 for delivery but, how much
    >>> to the UK - any idea?

    >>I have used my best Dutch to ask the question via their contact form -
    >>will
    >>let you know if there is a reply.

    > Thanks, and for all the other info.

    They replied back to me today - unable to deliver to UK.
    Herman, Dec 18, 2006
  18. Brian A

    Stu Guest

    > How does this relate to the charges levied on cards used abroad in
    > 'hole in the wall' machines? I do know that, in this case, Nationwide
    > do not make a charge although they do say that a charge may be made by
    > the foreign bank where the cash is drawn.

    Never been charged extra by the ATM withdrawing money except in Canada
    and that was stated when I made the withdrawal. Nationwide card is handy
    I know.

    > IF this is similar, then, presumably, there could be a transfer made
    > from the UK to a foreign vendor at no charge - but is it similar or an
    > intirely different affair?

    Wanna send them your ATM card and PIN then? :) Unfortunately it's a
    different story. As I said before I don't see why companies can't accept
    Paypal. Load up your account in pounds and then transfer in euro to the
    vendor.

    You can also try www.moneybookers.com. No experience but seen them
    recommended.
    Stu, Dec 18, 2006
  19. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 20:45:51 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:20:38 GMT, "Herman"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Brian A" <> wrote in message

    >>>Yes
    >>>I have used my best Dutch to ask the question via their contact form -
    >>>will
    >>>let you know if there is a reply.

    >> Thanks, and for all the other info.

    >They replied back to me today - unable to deliver to UK.

    :-( Thanks for trying anyway.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Dec 18, 2006