cheapest place to buy dslr bodies: Nikon D70s / Canon EOS 20d/350D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Anyone has any suggestions on buying these camera bodies
    for cheap?

    D70s
    EOS20d
    350D

    Here is the best i can find for now,

    1] D70s - $529
    (from : http://www.turbobuys.com/index.php?action=item&id=2781569)

    2] EOS350d - $569 (from:
    http://www.usaphotonation.com/products.asp?product_id=11857&engine=froogle)

    But usaphotonation is reputedly a very bad vendor, the next pricing I
    have
    is around $720.

    3] EOS 20d - $900
    (http://shop.vendio.com/jepcaru/item/788413937/?s=1121854370)

    Anyone has any better pointers to purchase these bodies?

    Thanks,
    --j
    John, Jul 25, 2005

  2. John

    EF in FLA Guest

    EF in FLA, Jul 25, 2005

  3. John

    John Guest

    I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
    buy their cams from? What kind of prices.

    Thanks,
    --j
    John, Jul 25, 2005
  4. John

    george Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    >I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
    > buy their cams from? What kind of prices.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --j

    Most people seem to like:
    www.bhphotovideo.com (B&H Photo)
    www.andorama.com (Andorama)
    I've ordered from both of the above with good results (many more times from
    B&H, though)

    I've also had good luck with:
    www.beachcamera.com (Beach Camera, they also do business as www.buydig.com)
    www.flashpointcameras.com (17th St. Camera)

    Not known for price, but good dealers nonetheless are:
    www.calumetphoto.com (Calumet Photo)
    www.porters.com (Porters Camera)

    Some people shy away from:
    www.focuscamera.com (Focus Camera, they seem to get it confused with Abe's
    Camera)
    but I've ordered some stuff (usually small stuff like Hoya filters) from
    them with no problems at all

    Hope that gets you started...of course YMMV and I'd always advise checking
    www.resellerratings.com
    first to see if your proposed vendor happens to be headed on a downward
    spiral OR is drastically improving.

    Sorry for commercial info...but maybe it'll cut down on some of the postings
    that "ZYX Camera Shysters has
    the latest Nikon/Canon dSLR for $1.50 including an 8GB CF card...please tell
    me that it is a good deal and btw,
    is shipping normally $3500?" sort of postings that seem to be SO prevalent
    here.

    George
    george, Jul 25, 2005
  5. John

    Stacey Guest

    John wrote:

    > I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
    > buy their cams from?

    "Pro's" usually buy a camera from a place that also provides service, not
    the cheapest scam shop on the internet.
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Jul 25, 2005
  6. John

    John Guest

    I guess. If you buy a nikon or canon, do you really require service?
    I used to have a P&S canon for 3 years (got stolen), and never had
    any problems with it.
    John, Jul 25, 2005
  7. John

    Guest

    John wrote:
    > Anyone has any suggestions on buying these camera bodies
    > for cheap?
    >
    > D70s
    > EOS20d
    > 350D
    >
    > Here is the best i can find for now,
    >
    > 1] D70s - $529
    > (from : http://www.turbobuys.com/index.php?action=item&id=2781569)
    >
    > 2] EOS350d - $569 (from:
    > http://www.usaphotonation.com/products.asp?product_id=11857&engine=froogle)
    >
    > But usaphotonation is reputedly a very bad vendor, the next pricing I
    > have
    > is around $720.
    >
    > 3] EOS 20d - $900
    > (http://shop.vendio.com/jepcaru/item/788413937/?s=1121854370)

    Those prices seem WAY too good to be true. Which usually means...
    Try Cameta Camera. They are all over Ebay and they are VERY
    competitive and trustworthy.

    Ben
    , Jul 25, 2005
  8. John

    Guest

    John wrote:
    > I guess. If you buy a nikon or canon, do you really require service?
    > I used to have a P&S canon for 3 years (got stolen), and never had
    > any problems with it.

    Unless you want to clean it yourself, you will need service. Some have
    luck doing it, others with heavy hands such as myself, require
    assistance.

    Ben
    , Jul 25, 2005
  9. John

    Toa Guest

    >I guess. If you buy a nikon or canon, do you really require service?
    > I used to have a P&S canon for 3 years (got stolen), and never had
    > any problems with it.

    I've got an old Minolta X-1 that still performs as it should. Still have a
    Minolta 500si that also performs as it did when new (not that it gets much
    use these days however)

    "Most" camera's will perform as expected for years if treated well.

    Toa
    Toa, Jul 25, 2005
  10. John

    Manuel W. Guest

    "John" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >I guess. If you buy a nikon or canon, do you really require service?
    > I used to have a P&S canon for 3 years (got stolen), and never had
    > any problems with it.

    I guess that I need service. If I pay $790 (or $7900) for a camera where
    *quality* is the primary factor, I really do need service. If I have a
    problem, I just walk up to my friendly camera store where they will clean
    the camera, or maybe offer a temporary replacement if they have to ship it
    to Canon/Nikon if it's broken. I wouldn't compare it with a P&S. And I
    wouldn't order a DSLR online to save 10% ... but maybe that's just me.

    -Manuel

    Manuel W., Jul 25, 2005
  11. John

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 24 Jul 2005 19:11:07 -0700, "John" <> wrote:

    >Here is the best i can find for now,
    >
    >1] D70s - $529
    >(from : http://www.turbobuys.com/index.php?action=item&id=2781569)

    Oh look! Another for me to go get a picture of:

    Registrant:
    Chakie Chan
    2677 Coney Island
    Brooklyn, New York 11223

    Administrative Contact:
    Bellorusha, Sasha
    2380 Coney Island Ave.
    Brooklyn, New York 11223

    I find on their site "Previously IBUYDIG.com"

    Don Wiss, Jul 25, 2005
  12. It's not a matter of buying online or not -- it's a matter of buying
    from an authorized retailer. As long as you buy from an authorized
    retailer with a USA warranty, you can get service anywhere.

    Mitchell Regenbogen, Jul 25, 2005
  13. John

    Manuel W. Guest

    "Mitchell Regenbogen" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > It's not a matter of buying online or not -- it's a matter of buying
    > from an authorized retailer. As long as you buy from an authorized
    > retailer with a USA warranty, you can get service anywhere.

    Thank you for clarifying that. What's still not clear to me is the word
    "anywhere": if I buy from an authorized US retailer that gives me a US
    warranty, can I send my lens/camera for repair to Canon/Nikon in Switzerland
    as well, or do I need to ship back to the US?

    -Manuel

    Manuel W., Jul 25, 2005
  14. John

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
    >buy their cams from? What kind of prices.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >--j

    Calumet if mail-order, or Tempe Camera if local. Others really like Ad-orama
    [?], and B&H, but I have never used them. Calumet has good, albeit not GREAT
    prices, however they ALWAYS follow through, with no selling-up and good tech
    advice. Same for the local shop, but you'd need to be in AZ/US to buy there.
    Prices good, stock good, friendly, knowledgable salespeople.

    Do a Google.Group search of this, and other photo-releated NGs, and see some
    real horror stories and caveats on on-line photo buying. Many people also
    suggest www.resellers.com for a check on the store/business.

    Remember, especially with on-line buying the "best price" is not necessarily
    the BEST PRICE.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Jul 25, 2005
  15. John

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:52:53 +0200, "Manuel W."
    <manuel*NOSPAM*@thunder.ch> wrote:

    >"Mitchell Regenbogen" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> It's not a matter of buying online or not -- it's a matter of buying
    >> from an authorized retailer. As long as you buy from an authorized
    >> retailer with a USA warranty, you can get service anywhere.

    >Thank you for clarifying that. What's still not clear to me is the word
    >"anywhere": if I buy from an authorized US retailer that gives me a US
    >warranty, can I send my lens/camera for repair to Canon/Nikon in Switzerland
    >as well, or do I need to ship back to the US?
    >
    >-Manuel

    You would probably need to ship it back.
    However, there's an easy way to find the authorized answer: ask Canon.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Jul 25, 2005
  16. John

    Guest

    I've bought two cameras from butterflyphoto.com and got both for
    incredibly low prices...my dRebel w/ kit lens was $620 a few months
    ago. Bear in mind, they WILL call you up after you place your order
    and try to sell you $2000 in extras, but they take no for an answer
    eventually. I'd just place my order on the phone in the first
    place...and repeat after me: "no, I don't need that. no, I don't need
    that. no, I don't need that..."
    , Jul 25, 2005
  17. I've been told that here in New Zealand, Canon is a franchise - and as such
    if the camera wasn't bought through Canon NZ then they won't consider
    warranty issues on cameras. I'm also told that lenses are a different story,
    and are covered.

    Possibly (probably?) the same elsewhere?

    "Manuel W." <manuel*NOSPAM*@thunder.ch> wrote in message
    > "Mitchell Regenbogen" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > > It's not a matter of buying online or not -- it's a matter of buying
    > > from an authorized retailer. As long as you buy from an authorized
    > > retailer with a USA warranty, you can get service anywhere.

    > Thank you for clarifying that. What's still not clear to me is the word
    > "anywhere": if I buy from an authorized US retailer that gives me a US
    > warranty, can I send my lens/camera for repair to Canon/Nikon in

    Switzerland
    > as well, or do I need to ship back to the US?
    >
    > -Manuel

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----
    Cockpit Colin, Jul 26, 2005
  18. John

    Toa Guest

    > I've been told that here in New Zealand, Canon is a franchise - and as
    > such
    > if the camera wasn't bought through Canon NZ then they won't consider
    > warranty issues on cameras. I'm also told that lenses are a different
    > story,
    > and are covered.

    I purchased an Olympus P&S from an American supplier (it saved me a few
    bucks at the time). But it developed a fault. Olympus NZ didn't want to
    know about it so I had to send it back to USA for repair. Olympus USA did
    the repair just fine but it took me 2+ months before I got it back.

    Toa
    Toa, Jul 26, 2005
  19. John

    John Guest

    They look ok, but not the cheapest resellers :)
    Thanks for the pointer thou, at least one can buy
    at these baseline prices.

    --j
    John, Jul 26, 2005
  20. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:23:55 -0400, Stacey <> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >
    >> I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
    >> buy their cams from?

    >"Pro's" usually buy a camera from a place that also provides service, not
    >the cheapest scam shop on the internet.

    And there are non-scam online dealers that provide the same gear as a
    local dealer at lower prices. My D70 Kit was $200 less.
    Oliver Costich, Jul 26, 2005