    a discount for that too. I don't need any fancy binding or anything.

    TIA,

    Adam.

    Adam, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Adam

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 01:55:10 +1200, Adam wrote:

    > Does anyone know the cheapest place (in Auckland) to get a PDF
    > printed? Anything from 500 pages to 1,000 pages ... A4, in colour?
    >
    > By the time I've passed it through my inkjet printer, paid for the
    > paper and ink, I'm sure I'd get better quality and (maybe!) cheaper
    > from a copy shop.
    >
    > I may also need to run off multiple copies - so I expect there may be
    > a discount for that too. I don't need any fancy binding or anything.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Adam.

    Any copy-shop worth its salt should be able to print a portable document.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jul 2, 2005

  3. Adam

    Nelly Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 01:55:10 +1200, Adam wrote:

    >Does anyone know the cheapest place (in Auckland) to get a PDF
    >printed? Anything from 500 pages to 1,000 pages ... A4, in colour?
    >
    >By the time I've passed it through my inkjet printer, paid for the
    >paper and ink, I'm sure I'd get better quality and (maybe!) cheaper
    >from a copy shop.
    >
    >I may also need to run off multiple copies - so I expect there may be
    >a discount for that too. I don't need any fancy binding or anything.
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Adam.

    1000 pages single sided print in colour on A4 80gsm should cost you
    upwards of $440 plus gst and double sided will be upwards of $870 plus
    gst. Where abouts in Auckland are you?

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    Nelly, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 08:30:54 +1200, Nelly wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 01:55:10 +1200, Adam wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know the cheapest place (in Auckland) to get a PDF
    >>printed? Anything from 500 pages to 1,000 pages ... A4, in colour?
    >>
    >>By the time I've passed it through my inkjet printer, paid for the
    >>paper and ink, I'm sure I'd get better quality and (maybe!) cheaper
    >>from a copy shop.
    >>
    >>I may also need to run off multiple copies - so I expect there may be
    >>a discount for that too. I don't need any fancy binding or anything.
    >>
    >>TIA,
    >>
    >>Adam.

    >1000 pages single sided print in colour on A4 80gsm should cost you
    >upwards of $440 plus gst and double sided will be upwards of $870 plus
    >gst. Where abouts in Auckland are you?

    OUCH!!!

    This was meant to be an alternative to buying/downloading a PDF then
    printing locally as opposed to importing a book and paying for
    carriage. Looks like an offset litho price. 44c per page ???

    I suspect my HP Inkjet works out cheaper than that!

    Adam.

    Adam, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Adam

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 01:55:10 +1200, Adam wrote:

    >Does anyone know the cheapest place (in Auckland) to get a PDF
    >printed? Anything from 500 pages to 1,000 pages ... A4, in colour?
    >
    >By the time I've passed it through my inkjet printer, paid for the
    >paper and ink, I'm sure I'd get better quality and (maybe!) cheaper
    >from a copy shop.
    >
    >I may also need to run off multiple copies - so I expect there may be
    >a discount for that too. I don't need any fancy binding or anything.
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Adam.

    TradeMe is down at the moment but I remember seeing a guy who has
    imported some machine (the only one of it's sort in the country) that
    will print 1 off copies of books etc. His auction was for a voucher
    IIRC. It showed the machine and the guy. It was under the book
    section.

    Kookaburra, Jul 3, 2005
  6. <Adam> wrote in message news:...
    > OUCH!!!
    >
    > This was meant to be an alternative to buying/downloading a PDF then
    > printing locally as opposed to importing a book and paying for
    > carriage. Looks like an offset litho price. 44c per page ???
    >
    > I suspect my HP Inkjet works out cheaper than that!
    >
    > Adam.

    That depends on whether or not your printing is full coverage, as with
    photos.

    I currently use a Canon iP4000. I get about 45 borderless photos out of a
    set of cartridges, which cost me around the 100 to 120 dollar mark for a
    full set. So my photos cost me more than 2 dollars each in ink alone. Then I
    use matt photo paper that has curled with age, bought in bulk five years
    ago, which was 5 cents a page. I put that first through the laminator to
    make it flat. The cheapest laminate is between 16 to 30 cents each,
    depending on how Cardales feel about it.

    Now, colour laser prints do not fade inside a month when exposed to direct
    sunlight, even laminated inkjet prints do. I have done side-by side tests in
    the same North-facing window at the same time.

    Last time I have priced the running costs of a colour laser printer, I still
    got about 2 dollars per full-bleed photographic print. Last September I had
    to do cards, full coverage on one side, plain text on the other. Cardales
    gave me better quality at a lower cost than I could do at the time on a
    Canon S-4500 printer.

    Henry

    Henry Falkner, Jul 3, 2005
  7. Adam

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 01:55:10 +1200, Adam wrote:

    >Does anyone know the cheapest place (in Auckland) to get a PDF
    >printed? Anything from 500 pages to 1,000 pages ... A4, in colour?

    This is the TradeMe auction and he has a buy now price of $1.
    Location Auckland City.

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Nonfiction/Genealogy/auction-30499609.htm

    Save 50% on the printing your book - 10 to 600 pages, paperback,
    full-colour cover (matte or plain), 14 x 20 cm, hot glued perfect
    bound.

    Print biographies, novels, dissertations, thesis, genealogies, poetry,
    presentations, profiles, scripts, notes, annual reports, recipes,
    diary, anthology, or whatever.

    Cheaply. Easily. Quickly.

    We have imported the first true Book Print-On-Demand system into New
    Zealand, the InstaBook Maker. A book is printed in a few minutes, one
    at a time. No more 1000 copy orders that take weeks to be delivered.
    Just supply a print ready PDF text and cover files (we have all the
    converters online) and your book is printed, INSTANTLY!

    Examples of our Standard Prices.*
    1 book of 100 pages = $3.79/copy,
    200 pgs = $6.83,
    300 pgs = $9.58,
    400 pgs = $12.58
    500 pgs = $14.38

    You have a year ot complete and prepare your book and get 2 copies for
    the price of one (2 - 4 - 1).**

    For this offer, we are requiring an initial minimum order is 10
    copies, but you can order any quantity at this price. Pretty Cheap!
    Thereafter, orders of even a single copy are accepted.***

    Please note:
    * All prices are less GST
    ** Shipping at cost
    *** Subsequent orders not half price

    BONUS!

    If you are interested, your book can be uploaded onto our Digital
    Library, FREE, making it available from any InstaBook outlet around
    the world.

    That is Worldwide availability!!!

    In most cases that avoids paying international postage.

    You, the author, set the price. You are notified of every sale. And,
    best of all, you receive 30% Royalty on each sale.

    No one, but yourself, has any Rights to your book unless you sell it
    to them. We ask for no Rights. We just print your book when and where
    it is required, one at a time.

    Let's see what you have. Let the world share it. You could be the next
    wonder author. You don't know unless you try!

    Please see Q&A's below.

    Thank you,
    Gordon Hill
    PRESS ON INK

    Kookaburra, Jul 4, 2005
  8. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:54:54 +1200, Henry Falkner wrote:

    ><Adam> wrote in message news:...

    >> I suspect my HP Inkjet works out cheaper than that!

    >That depends on whether or not your printing is full coverage, as with
    >photos.

    It's the usual techie book format: Mainly b/w text (on A4) with colour
    diagrams/pics throughout. Not *that* many pics, but enough to make
    colour printing a necessity.

    Adam.

    Adam, Jul 4, 2005