    lots of other equipment to take care of those needs.

    TIA

    Jon
    JR, Feb 27, 2009

  2. JR

    Tim Guest

    JR wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Please can someone advise me on the above?
    >
    > I think I have the terminology correct, apologies if not. Essentially I
    > want a cable router with QoS and to be able to plug a standard phone in
    > which will receive calls on one service (Sipgate) but make outgoing
    > calls on another (voipcheap).

    For upstream only QoS, then SPA-2102

    Also consider:
    AVM 5124

    Tim
    Tim, Feb 27, 2009

  3. JR

    Brian A Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > JR pretended :
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Please can someone advise me on the above?
    >>
    >> I think I have the terminology correct, apologies if not. Essentially
    >> I want a cable router with QoS and to be able to plug a standard phone
    >> in which will receive calls on one service (Sipgate) but make outgoing
    >> calls on another (voipcheap).
    >>
    >> I don't care about wireless or the number of ethernet ports - I have
    >> lots of other equipment to take care of those needs.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Jon

    > I'm sure there's something in the Fritz!box range that will suit your
    > requirements.
    >
    > perhaps this one?
    >
    > http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=146

    The QoS on the Fritzbox 7140, that I have, is very effective. I use one
    just as a router. I prefer the SPA-3000 (now replaced by the SPA-3102)
    as an ATA.
    Recently I have tested out QoS on a couple of boxes. The SPA-3102 is a
    good, very configurable, ATA. However, the QoS is total rubbish, in fact
    I don't think it does anything at all! Of course that only applies if
    you are using it as a router. As an ATA it is just fine.
    I also tried a new Netgear Wireless N Router, the model number escapes
    me. It stated on the box that it would provide QoS for voip calls. I
    have little doubt that it would have worked on gaming etc. but it was
    useless for voip (SPA-3102 attached). They can't have even tried it out.
    It didn't matter how I configured it, by port, MAC address or otherwise,
    it was crap. If I set the computer to do a download and then tried a
    telephone conversation the audio would cut at regular intervals as
    though the QoS was time shared. It seemed that it just divided the time
    up as to when a particular application/hardware was given full service.
    That scenario is obviously useless for voip. This test was on 1Mb/s ADSL
    line (Telstra - how unfortunate the Australians are having Telstra
    broadband. It is way overpriced and poor quality IMO)
    I have mentioned the above just to indicate how QoS is not always as
    good as some manufacturers state. I don't know if the ordinary Fritzbox
    routers have QoS ( I just haven't checked them out) but if they have,
    and it is as good as the 7140, that I have, then I'd go for a Fritzbox
    router and an SPA-3102. OK, the SPA-3102 is, perhaps, a little harder to
    set up than the voip telephone part of the Fritzbox but it is much more
    configurable.
    Usually with cable you get a modem with an Ethernet output so you can
    plug your Fritzbox into that. If it is an ADSL modem/router then you
    would bypass the internal ADSL modem and connect your cable modem to the
    first Ethernet socket.
    Brian A, Feb 28, 2009
  4. JR

    Sinna Guest

    JR wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Please can someone advise me on the above?
    >
    > I think I have the terminology correct, apologies if not. Essentially I
    > want a cable router with QoS and to be able to plug a standard phone in
    > which will receive calls on one service (Sipgate) but make outgoing
    > calls on another (voipcheap).
    >
    > I don't care about wireless or the number of ethernet ports - I have
    > lots of other equipment to take care of those needs.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jon

    I use the SPA-3102 as VoIP gateway (at the moment the router
    functionality is barely used). Last weekend I managed (finally) to set
    it up to use a different provider for incoming and outgoing calls. The
    only requirement is that the provider used for outgoing calls doesn't
    require registration/authentication (VoipCheap doesn't require it :)

    The SPA-3102 also allows a quite intuitive dial plan that can be
    extended in that way you can choose what provider to use for calling.
    At the moment I've set up the same outgoing provider twice but with a
    different CallerID so I can choose what number appears on the
    destination phone: my fixed line or my mobile.

    Sinna
    Sinna, Mar 2, 2009
  5. JR

    JR Guest

    Sinna wrote:
    > JR wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Please can someone advise me on the above?
    >>
    >> I think I have the terminology correct, apologies if not. Essentially
    >> I want a cable router with QoS and to be able to plug a standard phone
    >> in which will receive calls on one service (Sipgate) but make outgoing
    >> calls on another (voipcheap).
    >>
    >> I don't care about wireless or the number of ethernet ports - I have
    >> lots of other equipment to take care of those needs.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Jon

    > I use the SPA-3102 as VoIP gateway (at the moment the router
    > functionality is barely used). Last weekend I managed (finally) to set
    > it up to use a different provider for incoming and outgoing calls. The
    > only requirement is that the provider used for outgoing calls doesn't
    > require registration/authentication (VoipCheap doesn't require it :)
    >
    > The SPA-3102 also allows a quite intuitive dial plan that can be
    > extended in that way you can choose what provider to use for calling.
    > At the moment I've set up the same outgoing provider twice but with a
    > different CallerID so I can choose what number appears on the
    > destination phone: my fixed line or my mobile.
    >
    > Sinna

    Thank you all who replied - SPA-3102 ordered.
    JR, Mar 2, 2009
  6. JR

    JR Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > JR submitted this idea :
    >> Sinna wrote:

    >>> I use the SPA-3102 as VoIP gateway (at the moment the router
    >>> functionality is barely used). Last weekend I managed (finally) to
    >>> set it up to use a different provider for incoming and outgoing
    >>> calls. The only requirement is that the provider used for outgoing
    >>> calls doesn't require registration/authentication (VoipCheap doesn't
    >>> require it :)
    >>>
    >>> The SPA-3102 also allows a quite intuitive dial plan that can be
    >>> extended in that way you can choose what provider to use for calling.
    >>> At the moment I've set up the same outgoing provider twice but with a
    >>> different CallerID so I can choose what number appears on the
    >>> destination phone: my fixed line or my mobile.
    >>>
    >>> Sinna

    >> Thank you all who replied - SPA-3102 ordered.

    > Erm, I take it you didn't see BrianA's post "The SPA-3102 is a good,
    > very configurable, ATA. However, the QoS is total rubbish"
    >
    > I'm sure it will also struggle with Cable connections greater than ~2Mb.
    > I bet you wouldn't get the full throughput of 10Mb, let alone 20Mb or
    > moore.

    Sorry - I should have added to this - I found an old Zyxel router I had
    which has QoS. I only stopped using it because I purchased a wifi router
    but now I have configured that to be an AP. I'll see how it goes.
    JR, Mar 2, 2009
  7. JR

    Sinna Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > JR submitted this idea :
    >> Sinna wrote:

    >>> I use the SPA-3102 as VoIP gateway (at the moment the router
    >>> functionality is barely used). Last weekend I managed (finally) to
    >>> set it up to use a different provider for incoming and outgoing
    >>> calls. The only requirement is that the provider used for outgoing
    >>> calls doesn't require registration/authentication (VoipCheap doesn't
    >>> require it :)
    >>>
    >>> The SPA-3102 also allows a quite intuitive dial plan that can be
    >>> extended in that way you can choose what provider to use for calling.
    >>> At the moment I've set up the same outgoing provider twice but with a
    >>> different CallerID so I can choose what number appears on the
    >>> destination phone: my fixed line or my mobile.
    >>>
    >>> Sinna

    >> Thank you all who replied - SPA-3102 ordered.

    > Erm, I take it you didn't see BrianA's post "The SPA-3102 is a good,
    > very configurable, ATA. However, the QoS is total rubbish"
    >
    > I'm sure it will also struggle with Cable connections greater than ~2Mb.
    > I bet you wouldn't get the full throughput of 10Mb, let alone 20Mb or
    > moore.

    I'll check it out once I have my new network setup (getting wired
    again). Now my connection speed is 2Mbit at max so I don't think I'll be
    running into this limitation. On my new network 6Mbit should be possible.

    Sinna
    Sinna, Mar 3, 2009
  8. JR

    Mark Guest

    On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:05:46 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    [snip]

    >I'm sure it will also struggle with Cable connections greater than
    >~2Mb. I bet you wouldn't get the full throughput of 10Mb, let alone
    >20Mb or moore.

    I tested a SPA3102 and 2100 for throughput a year or so back - both
    topped out at around 9Mbit/s on Virgin's 20Mbit/s cable service.

    Bought a new router and got 20Mbit/s :)
    Mark, Mar 4, 2009