    Jedmeister Guest

    Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?

    For my poor brother.

    Jedmeister, May 3, 2005

  2. Jedmeister

    XPD Guest

    "Jedmeister" <> wrote in message
    news:JWIde.3333$...
    > Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?
    >
    > For my poor brother.

    My Geforce 4 MX420 ran HL2 with some of the purdy bits turne down/off. Wasnt
    too bad.... then I picked up a Ti4200 for $50 and well.. its made hell of a
    diference :)

    XPD, May 3, 2005

  3. Jedmeister

    ofn01 Guest

    Jedmeister wrote:
    > Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?
    >
    > For my poor brother.

    A Radeon 9550 (*not* the SE model, the standard) should be ok to run it
    at 800x600/medium quality (maybe 1024x768 if the other components in his
    system are fast):

    This page has some - though I think some of them are incorrectly listed
    here as normal 9550's when they're 9550SE's which are about 30-40%
    slower than a standard 9550. http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_4506.html
    A 9550 is similar to a 9600 but has a slower clocked GPU.

    Half life, Doom3 and other modern games can be quite CPU limited, I
    think you need at least a 2Ghz processor for all the physics and stuff
    to work fine / not make the game choppy.

    Doom3 and Far Cry in particular also really need 1Gb of RAM, Half life
    should be ok on 512 though.

    This page has a good comparison of video card capabilities:
    http://techreport.com/etc/comparo/graphics/

    The right-most column is quite an important one (peak memory bandwidth).
    - you can see where the standard 9550 sits here and get an idea.

    ofn01, May 3, 2005
  4. Jedmeister

    Jedmeister Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    > Jedmeister wrote:
    >> Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?
    >>
    >> For my poor brother.

    > A Radeon 9550 (*not* the SE model, the standard) should be ok to run it at
    > 800x600/medium quality (maybe 1024x768 if the other components in his
    > system are fast):
    >
    > This page has some - though I think some of them are incorrectly listed
    > here as normal 9550's when they're 9550SE's which are about 30-40% slower
    > than a standard 9550. http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_4506.html
    > A 9550 is similar to a 9600 but has a slower clocked GPU.
    >
    > Half life, Doom3 and other modern games can be quite CPU limited, I think
    > you need at least a 2Ghz processor for all the physics and stuff to work
    > fine / not make the game choppy.
    >
    > Doom3 and Far Cry in particular also really need 1Gb of RAM, Half life
    > should be ok on 512 though.
    >
    > This page has a good comparison of video card capabilities:
    > http://techreport.com/etc/comparo/graphics/
    >
    > The right-most column is quite an important one (peak memory bandwidth). -
    > you can see where the standard 9550 sits here and get an idea.

    Thanks, so I will pass this on to my brother. I think he has just 512 ram so
    hopefully that will be ok.

    Jedmeister, May 4, 2005
  5. Jedmeister

    Rob J Guest

    In article <JWIde.3333$> in nz.comp on Tue, 3
    May 2005 23:06:15 +1200, Jedmeister <> says...
    > Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?
    >
    > For my poor brother.

    How old is his PC?

    A lot of Radeon cards nowadays specify a minimum of a Pentium 4 and also
    at least a 300 watt power supply.

    Lots of older PCs only have 250 watt supplies.

    Rob J, May 4, 2005
  6. Jedmeister

    Dogboy Guest

    ofn01 wrote:
    > Jedmeister wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?
    >>
    >> For my poor brother.
    >>

    > A Radeon 9550 (*not* the SE model, the standard) should be ok to run it
    > at 800x600/medium quality (maybe 1024x768 if the other components in his
    > system are fast):
    >
    > This page has some - though I think some of them are incorrectly listed
    > here as normal 9550's when they're 9550SE's which are about 30-40%
    > slower than a standard 9550. http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_4506.html
    > A 9550 is similar to a 9600 but has a slower clocked GPU.

    Indeed, In fact a lot of 9550s are 9600s which have been underclocked.

    People started noticing this so ATI released drivers that wouldnt allow
    overclocking. But with the help of hacked drivers and programs like
    "ATITool" its easy to overclock my 9550 to 9600 and even 9600Pro levels.

    If your 9550 comes without a fan you may want to add one for overclocking.

    --
    Dogboy

    Dogboy, May 5, 2005
  7. Jedmeister

    Daniel Guest

    Jedmeister wrote:

    <snip>

    >>A Radeon 9550 (*not* the SE model, the standard) should be ok to run it at
    >>800x600/medium quality (maybe 1024x768 if the other components in his
    >>system are fast):

    <snip>

    > Thanks, so I will pass this on to my brother. I think he has just 512 ram so
    > hopefully that will be ok.

    If your bro's PC can handle it, he might wish to consider the GeCube
    9550 Extreme Edition:

    http://www.gecube.com/mbu/productCategory.php?proID=66

    It has a GPU/Memory speed of 400MHz/500MHz, which is actually faster
    than a lot of the 9600 Pro's - I refer to the many "crippled" ones with
    a 400/400 spec, not the reference design models with 400/600 (or
    thereabouts, e.g GeCube 9600 Pro Extreme or PowerColor 9600 Pro Bravo).

    The 9550 reference spec is 250MHz/400MHz, so the GeCube 9550 Extreme
    really is "extreme".

    The silly thing is that the GeCube 9600 Pro (Encore edition) actually
    costs *more* than the 9550 Extreme edition.

    Anyway, Pricespy doesn't seem to differentiate the 9550 Extreme from the
    other 9550's, but, here's a link from Ascent (the price includes free
    delivery nationwide):

    If you source it from elsewhere, it's very important to keep in mind the
    GeCube model number, which is GC-R9550GU-C3 (so you don't end up with
    the wrong 9550).

    Daniel, May 5, 2005