    ports and a single 10G WAN-PHY (NOT 10G LAN-PHY) uplink?

    --
    Will

    Will, Nov 1, 2007

  2. Will

    Merv Guest

    The product code for the Cisco 10 GE WAN PHY is XENPAK-10GB-LW.

    "Supports a link length of 10 km on standard single-mode fiber (SMF)
    (G.652). WAN-PHY is intended to allow the transport of 10 Gigabit
    Ethernet over a traditional SONET/SDH infrastructure by rendering 10
    Gigabit Ethernet"

    It is probably best to search Cisco CCO site using that product code
    XENPAK-10GB-LW.

    Cisco 10GBASE XENPAK Modules page:
    http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4835/products_data_sheet09186a008007cd00.html

    The following Cisco document shows the XENPAK-10GB-LW transceiver
    module being supported by the 6500 switch:

    http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/docs/int...ver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html

    Merv, Nov 1, 2007

  3. Will

    Will Guest

    "Merv" <> wrote in message
    > The product code for the Cisco 10 GE WAN PHY is XENPAK-10GB-LW.
    >
    > "Supports a link length of 10 km on standard single-mode fiber (SMF)
    > (G.652). WAN-PHY is intended to allow the transport of 10 Gigabit
    > Ethernet over a traditional SONET/SDH infrastructure by rendering 10
    > Gigabit Ethernet"
    >
    > It is probably best to search Cisco CCO site using that product code
    > XENPAK-10GB-LW.

    Cisco list price on one of those SFP is $15K?!!! That's crazy. That's
    more than the switch costs.

    As far as which model switch I need 12 gigE ports and a single 10GB uplink.
    I don't need (and cannot for this application afford) a 6500.

    --
    Will

    Will, Nov 1, 2007
  4. Will

    Guest

    On 1 Nov, 22:58, "Will" <> wrote:
    > "Merv" <> wrote in message

    > > The product code for the Cisco 10 GE WAN PHY is XENPAK-10GB-LW.

    > > "Supports a link length of 10 km on standard single-mode fiber (SMF)
    > > (G.652). WAN-PHY is intended to allow the transport of 10 Gigabit
    > > Ethernet over a traditional SONET/SDH infrastructure by rendering 10
    > > Gigabit Ethernet"

    > > It is probably best to search Cisco CCO site using that product code
    > > XENPAK-10GB-LW.

    > Cisco list price on one of those SFP is $15K?!!! That's crazy. That's
    > more than the switch costs.
    >
    > As far as which model switch I need 12 gigE ports and a single 10GB uplink.
    > I don't need (and cannot for this application afford) a 6500.

    I thinktat there is a 3750G...-E that can have
    10G uplinks but i don't think that you can avoid the
    XENPAK bit.

    10G is not yet cheap.

    , Nov 1, 2007
  5. Will

    Will Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On 1 Nov, 22:58, "Will" <> wrote:
    >> "Merv" <> wrote in message

    >> > The product code for the Cisco 10 GE WAN PHY is XENPAK-10GB-LW.

    >> > "Supports a link length of 10 km on standard single-mode fiber (SMF)
    >> > (G.652). WAN-PHY is intended to allow the transport of 10 Gigabit
    >> > Ethernet over a traditional SONET/SDH infrastructure by rendering 10
    >> > Gigabit Ethernet"

    >> > It is probably best to search Cisco CCO site using that product code
    >> > XENPAK-10GB-LW.

    >> Cisco list price on one of those SFP is $15K?!!! That's crazy. That's
    >> more than the switch costs.
    >>
    >> As far as which model switch I need 12 gigE ports and a single 10GB
    >> uplink.
    >> I don't need (and cannot for this application afford) a 6500.
    >>

    > I thinktat there is a 3750G...-E that can have
    > 10G uplinks but i don't think that you can avoid the
    > XENPAK bit.
    >
    > 10G is not yet cheap.

    Right, 10G is not cheap, but the 10G LAN PHY SFPs generally go around $1K
    street price. List price might be $2K to $4K depending on vendor.

    $15K list price for an SFP is outrageous.

    --
    Will

    Will, Nov 2, 2007
  6. Will

    Merv Guest

    Switches that can support 10GE do not come cheap...

    It is one thing to have 10 or 12 gigabit ingress interfaces. another
    thing entirely to be able to handle the aggregation at full linerate
    on all ingress ports ....

    See article on 10 GE switches:

    http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2003/020310gbe.html

    I suspect there is little volume for 10GE WAN PHY and that vendors
    (here is only a handful in this market) are still recouping their
    development costs.

    Merv, Nov 2, 2007
  7. Will

    stephen Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    > > On 1 Nov, 22:58, "Will" <> wrote:
    > >> "Merv" <> wrote in message

    > >> Cisco list price on one of those SFP is $15K?!!! That's crazy.

    That's
    > >> more than the switch costs.
    > >>
    > >> As far as which model switch I need 12 gigE ports and a single 10GB
    > >> uplink.
    > >> I don't need (and cannot for this application afford) a 6500.
    > >>

    > > I thinktat there is a 3750G...-E that can have
    > > 10G uplinks but i don't think that you can avoid the
    > > XENPAK bit.
    > >
    > > 10G is not yet cheap.

    > Right, 10G is not cheap, but the 10G LAN PHY SFPs generally go around $1K
    > street price. List price might be $2K to $4K depending on vendor.

    LAN PHY costs vary a lot depending on the format type - multimode, single
    mode, high power, and even 4 x 2.5G lambda transcievers are all available,
    but there is a lot of variation in cost.

    > $15K list price for an SFP is outrageous.

    maybe if you explained what you are trying to do and why you need WAN PHY
    you might get some alternative suggestions?

    if you have to have SDH or SONET formatting then you probably are connecting
    to an SDH or DWDM long haul lambda system of some sort.

    if you have that, then you have much bigger ticket items to worry about.

    One of the reasons LAN PHY is cheap is to avoid the complexities of WAN PHY.
    Also - you get a bit more bandwidth on your interface since WAN PHY is
    "only" 9.8 Gbps or so.

    FWIW a lot of modern DWDM for metro or even long haul is supporting LAN PHY
    now - to remove the need for WAN PHY.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Nov 3, 2007
  8. Will

    seanpaul

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    SOLUTION

    Cisco Catalyst (WS-C2960S-24TD-L)

    This will give you 2 SFP+ 10gig uplinks and 24 gig ports.

    seanpaul, Nov 25, 2011