    I'm sure there are plenty of other router vendors that make a suitable
    substitute. Can anyone suggest one with excellent reliability?
    IOS-like command language would be nice but is not essential.
    Bob Simon, Mar 2, 2007

  2. www.BradReese.Com, Mar 2, 2007

  3. Bob Simon

    Bob Simon Guest

    On 2 Mar 2007 08:49:53 -0800, "www.BradReese.Com"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Bob,
    >
    >You may wish to investigate the Cisco 1841 (List Price: $1,395)
    >
    >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5875/index.html
    >
    >and the HWIC-1FE (List Price: $1,400)
    >
    >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html
    >
    >Hope this helps.
    >
    >Brad Reese on Cisco
    >Network World Magazine Cisco Subnet
    >http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/cisco/

    Brad,
    Thank you very much. I will check with the client and see if he's
    willing to spend $2800. But I'm pretty sure that he'll ask me to find
    another solution.
    Bob Simon, Mar 2, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    Bob Simon <> wrote:
    >I need to build a firewall between the outside and two inside
    >networks. What is Cisco's least expensive router with 3 Ethernet
    >interfaces?

    You may wish to consider something in the PIX or ASA line.

    If you have an inside router with VLAN support, then you could
    use as little as a PIX 506E, running the third interface as
    an 802.1Q VLAN on the inside physical interface. If you need
    three physical interfaces, the PIX-515E-R-DMZ-BUN
    can apparently be had for as little as $US2150 (Network Warehouse)
    though most places are ~$US2500.

    The corresponding ASA model with multiple physical interfaces
    (that are not switched together) is the ASA5510 -- though
    it appears that the ASA 5505 with the Security Plus license could
    also do it. THe part numbers look to be ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9
    and and ASA5510-BUN-K9; looks like you can get the 5505-SEC for
    less than $US1100.
    Walter Roberson, Mar 3, 2007
  5. Bob Simon

    Scooby Guest

    "Bob Simon" <> wrote in message
    >I need to build a firewall between the outside and two inside
    > networks. What is Cisco's least expensive router with 3 Ethernet
    > interfaces?
    >
    > I'm sure there are plenty of other router vendors that make a suitable
    > substitute. Can anyone suggest one with excellent reliability?
    > IOS-like command language would be nice but is not essential.

    Check out Sonicwall. I like their firewalls and you can find one to do
    this, with a reasonable price tag. There is only a web based UI, so no IOS,
    but I do like the interface.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim
    Scooby, Mar 3, 2007
  6. 831 with the "DMZ port" feature or, better, an 871 (would need a featureset
    with multiple VLAN support I believe, see
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_qanda_item0900aecd8028a982.shtml .)

    Aaron

    ---

    ~