Cheapest 1U Switch With Private VLANs?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Will, Sep 24, 2006.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    What is the cheapest Cisco switch that supports private VLANs, with one port
    used to uplink to a router or firewall port, and the remaining ports
    configured as completely private? I'm not sure how Cisco defines PVLAN,
    but the key attribute I must have for this product is that all data must
    pass from a private port to the uplink port, with no possibility for
    broadcast, arp, or layer 3 traffic to travel between private ports. This
    must be true even if the host attached to a private VLAN port can
    impersonate a different MAC address other than its own, and must be true
    even if the host knows the target MAC address of a host on a different VLAN
    port.

    Since I will be using one of these switches for each segment attached to a
    firewall, and the number of hosts are trivially small, I have no concerns
    about density or about passing VLAN information across multiple switches.

    What are my product options? I would like to identify both a fast ethernet
    and a gigabit switch.

    --
    Will

    Will, Sep 24, 2006

  2. Hi Will,

    You may wish to investigate the Cisco Switch Product Advisor:

    http://tools.cisco.com/GCT/PCTPST/index.jsp

    Using this tool you can also view immediately the pricing for each
    switch.

    Furthermore, you may wish to call 1-800-745-7381 in the USA or Canada
    between 8:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. EST.

    Your local Global Cisco Pre-Sales Contact Information:

    http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#CISCO

    Hope this helps.

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair