    1. Advertising

  2. Rich

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Phil Wheeler, Nov 4, 2006

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Nov 4, 2006
  4. "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Phil Wheeler wrote:
    > > Rich wrote:

    http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PageDisplay?dest=frames.jsp&
    currency=CAD&storeId=10001

    > > No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

    > True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
    > means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
    > rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

    Canadian Dollars.
    Not quite 5 days - closer to 10 days. :)

    Gerrit

    Gerrit 't Hart, Nov 4, 2006
  5. Rich

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote in message

    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Phil Wheeler wrote:
    >> > Rich wrote:
    >> > >

    > http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PageDisplay?dest=frames.jsp&
    > currency=CAD&storeId=10001
    >> > >

    >> > No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

    >> True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
    >> means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
    >> rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.
    >>

    > Canadian Dollars.
    > Not quite 5 days - closer to 10 days. :)
    >
    > Gerrit

    $950 for a silver Rebel XTi body? B&H wants $715. Either their prices suck
    or that's a good deal in Canadian dollars.
    John

    JohnR66, Nov 4, 2006
  6. Rich

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 4 Nov 2006 00:41:00 -0800, "Rich" <> wrote:

    >Phil Wheeler wrote:
    >> Rich wrote:
    >> > http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...ay?dest=frames.jsp&currency=CAD&storeId=10001
    >> >

    >> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

    >True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
    >means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
    >rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

    Having been in the rental business, I can vouch for the need for
    seemingly high rental prices for small, complex devices such as
    cameras.
    Loss due to theft is high.
    Unseen damage is frequent (a trip to the beach can cause damage that
    won't be seen for a while).
    Conflicts about who is responsible for failures are frequent, and
    expensive to resolve.
    And on and on and on...
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Nov 4, 2006
  7. Rich

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Phil Wheeler wrote:
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>> http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...ay?dest=frames.jsp&currency=CAD&storeId=10001
    >>>

    >> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

    > True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
    > means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
    > rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

    Easy solution: Buy a camera, do not rent.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Nov 4, 2006
  8. Rich

    Tom Ross Guest

    On 4 Nov 2006 00:41:00 -0800, "Rich" <> wrote:

    >Phil Wheeler wrote:
    >> Rich wrote:
    >> > http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...ay?dest=frames.jsp&currency=CAD&storeId=10001
    >> >

    >> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

    >True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR.

    I considered renting equipment a couple of times when I lived in
    Dallas. If memory serves, both Competitive Camera and Dallas Camera
    offered the 20D for around $100/day. That was a couple of years ago,
    so the price may have changed. A 200mm 2.8L was around $30/day.

    4>Which
    >means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
    >rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

    And an apartment would rent for around $20,000/day. It's an unfair
    comparison: cameras are not cars (or apartments). Car rental companies
    don't *want* to sell the car - renting is their business. Camera
    stores, OTOH, want to sell the equipment - renting is a service.

    Just curious - were you planning to rent a camera from Henry's?

    TR

    Tom Ross, Nov 4, 2006
  9. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Phil Wheeler wrote:
    > > > Rich wrote:
    > > > >

    > http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PageDisplay?dest=frames.jsp&
    > currency=CAD&storeId=10001
    > > > >

    > > > No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

    > > True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
    > > means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
    > > rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.
    > >

    > Canadian Dollars.
    > Not quite 5 days - closer to 10 days. :)
    >
    > Gerrit

    Three years ago, the Can. dollar was worth $0.63 U.S. Today it's about
    $0.88.

    Rich, Nov 4, 2006
  10. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Phil Wheeler wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    > > Phil Wheeler wrote:
    > >>>

    > >> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

    > > True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
    > > means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
    > > rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.
    > >

    > Easy solution: Buy a camera, do not rent.
    >
    > Phil

    True, but I think pro rental is pretty robust, so those $30,000 medium
    format jobs must not be bought outright by all professional photogs.
    As for the $100 for a DSLR, I can't really understand why someone would
    pay it unless they only needed the camera for a specific vacation (in
    which case they might as well just buy it) or a business reason where
    they can claim back the rental cost.

    Rich, Nov 4, 2006
  11. Rich

    Geoff Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:
    > "Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > $950 for a silver Rebel XTi body? B&H wants $715. Either their prices suck
    > or that's a good deal in Canadian dollars.
    > John

    In Ottawa (Galaxy Camera) they sell the XTi body for $899.99 (Henry's
    is $949.99)

    Henry's is always the most expensive in town ...

    Geoff, Nov 4, 2006
  12. Rich

    Guest

    Bullshit. BUY the digicam and do whatever limited work with it you
    need - if that's what you're trying to do financially. Then SELL that
    barely-used digicam on eBay.
    Car rental is expensive - when all costs are considered. Believe
    me, it's a lot higher than the touted daily rate. All sorts of add-on
    costs - like refilling gas tank - added when you return it.

    , Nov 4, 2006
  13. Rich

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, Nov 5, 2006
  14. Rich

    Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    > A P&S camera may be rentable for a couple of years and for the
    > occasional few days, but at the end of that time it will be pretty much
    > worthless.

    Then give one to me. I'll have it up for sale on eBay tonight -
    and, if local pawnshop prices even when they got desperate are any
    guide, I'll clear (after all costs, including shipping) at least $150
    from it. And that's about what that pawnshop charged for a non-dSLR
    Canon A60 it was desperate to sell as it was closing up in the past few
    months.
    My own eBay experience when I've "traded up" in digicams is that
    there IS substantial value (as a percentage of original new retail
    paid) in a used consumer digicam of the kind Grandpa takes photos of
    grandchildren with after a couple years. Go on eBay and look if you
    doubt this.

    , Nov 5, 2006
  15. Rich

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 08:17:45 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

    >> True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
    >> means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
    >> rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

    > Having been in the rental business, I can vouch for the need for
    > seemingly high rental prices for small, complex devices such as
    > cameras.
    > Loss due to theft is high.
    > Unseen damage is frequent (a trip to the beach can cause damage that
    > won't be seen for a while).
    > Conflicts about who is responsible for failures are frequent, and
    > expensive to resolve.
    > And on and on and on...

    Add some more from your "on and on and on" list, which I would
    have thought belonged near the top. Cars are frequently rented, and
    in large numbers, so there can be a relatively large inventory of
    rental cars that average many rental days per year. Rental cameras
    and lenses are available in much smaller numbers, but those numbers
    are probably not low enough to ensure that the average number of
    rental days per year is high. Compounding this, if you have a Canon
    body and want to rent a specific long tele lens for a short birding
    expedition, if none are available, a Nikon or Pentax or Minolta lens
    won't do. If a person wants to rent a particular car and one isn't
    available, most people would settle for another, of almost any make.
    Or am I mistaken, and most rental cameras and lenses are out of the
    shop earning their keep more than 200 days/year?

    ASAAR, Nov 5, 2006
  16. Rich

    Ray Fischer Guest

    <> wrote:
    >Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> A P&S camera may be rentable for a couple of years and for the
    >> occasional few days, but at the end of that time it will be pretty much
    >> worthless.

    > Then give one to me. I'll have it up for sale on eBay tonight -
    >and, if local pawnshop prices even when they got desperate are any
    >guide, I'll clear (after all costs, including shipping) at least $150
    >from it.

    From a well-used, years old P&S digital camera?!?

    I know that the eBay crowd are none too smart, but I doubt that
    they're THAT stupid.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Nov 5, 2006
  17. "Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote:
    > >Ray Fischer wrote:
    > >> A P&S camera may be rentable for a couple of years and for the
    > >> occasional few days, but at the end of that time it will be pretty much
    > >> worthless.

    > > Then give one to me. I'll have it up for sale on eBay tonight -
    > >and, if local pawnshop prices even when they got desperate are any
    > >guide, I'll clear (after all costs, including shipping) at least $150
    > >from it.

    > From a well-used, years old P&S digital camera?!?
    >
    > I know that the eBay crowd are none too smart, but I doubt that
    > they're THAT stupid.

    I have seen people buy a memory card for much more than the "Buy it Now"
    price from the same dealer!

    Gerrit

    Gerrit 't Hart, Nov 5, 2006
  18. Rich

    SMS Guest

    SMS, Nov 5, 2006
  19. Rich

    Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> A P&S camera may be rentable for a couple of years and for the
    >> occasional few days, but at the end of that time it will be pretty much
    >> worthless.

    quoted me:
    > Then give one to me. I'll have it up for sale on eBay tonight -
    >and, if local pawnshop prices even when they got desperate are any
    >guide, I'll clear (after all costs, including shipping) at least $150
    >from it.

    and replied:
    >> From a well-used, years old P&S digital camera?!?

    Yes. I can take a well-used - but in excellent condition - P&S
    digicam and put it on eBay for auction and get half what it sold for
    new. Did it with one I moved up from - and got about $200 on a digicam
    I'd paid just over $400 new for.
    So - if you say such used digicams are "worthless" - please give
    them to me.

    > I know that the eBay crowd are none too smart, but I doubt that
    > they're THAT stupid.

    Almost EVERYTHING has some value on eBay. People pay extra for the
    convenience of having it delivered to their home and not having to look
    for a parking slot at the mall. Women in particular pay extra for
    avoiding mall security risks.

    , Nov 5, 2006
  20. Rich wrote:
    > Phil Wheeler wrote:
    >> Rich wrote:

    >>> True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
    >>> means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
    >>> rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.
    >>>

    >> Easy solution: Buy a camera, do not rent.
    >>
    >> Phil

    > True, but I think pro rental is pretty robust, so those $30,000 medium
    > format jobs must not be bought outright by all professional photogs.
    > As for the $100 for a DSLR, I can't really understand why someone would
    > pay it unless they only needed the camera for a specific vacation (in
    > which case they might as well just buy it) or a business reason where
    > they can claim back the rental cost.

    They are often leased, which is NOT THE SAME AS RENTING in application.

    Not Disclosed, Nov 6, 2006