Cheaper ink coming? - Kodak break rank on prices

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by frederick, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Kodak are releasing (in the USA) a range of "all in one" inkjet
    printers, photo quality with pigment inks, with consumable costs 1/2
    that of current prices from Epson/HP/Canon.
    More info here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07020601kodakallinoneprinters.asp

    US prices:
    Standard quality 180 sheets and a 5-color, pigment ink cartridge for $17.99
    The Higher quality paper pack is 135 sheets + ink cartridge for $19.99

    By comparison, the 13" carriage width photo printer (Epson) I use would
    cost about US$50 (at US prices) in ink and paper to produce 135 6x4"
    prints on quality paper.
    An Epson Picturemate 100 print (ink + paper) pack costs about NZ$50
    here. (The small picturemates are actually cheaper per 6x4 print than
    A4 and larger printers)

    Hope they sell them here - even if we pay the typical 1/3 more for
    consumables than US, that would still mean being able to print at home
    for about 25 cents or less per 6x4 print instead of 50 cents.
    frederick, Feb 8, 2007

  2. frederick

    Zipper Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Kodak are releasing (in the USA) a range of "all in one" inkjet
    > printers, photo quality with pigment inks, with consumable costs 1/2
    > that of current prices from Epson/HP/Canon.
    > More info here:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07020601kodakallinoneprinters.asp
    >
    > US prices:
    > Standard quality 180 sheets and a 5-color, pigment ink cartridge for $17.99
    > The Higher quality paper pack is 135 sheets + ink cartridge for $19.99
    >
    > By comparison, the 13" carriage width photo printer (Epson) I use would
    > cost about US$50 (at US prices) in ink and paper to produce 135 6x4"
    > prints on quality paper.
    > An Epson Picturemate 100 print (ink + paper) pack costs about NZ$50
    > here. (The small picturemates are actually cheaper per 6x4 print than
    > A4 and larger printers)
    >
    > Hope they sell them here - even if we pay the typical 1/3 more for
    > consumables than US, that would still mean being able to print at home
    > for about 25 cents or less per 6x4 print instead of 50 cents.

    Didn't Epson just drop their prices in the last few weeks? They have
    been advertising a lot but I thought their main incentive was to try and
    stop people from buying the generic inks.

    Anything that brings down the prices of ink is always welcome!
    Zipper, Feb 8, 2007

  3. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> Kodak are releasing (in the USA) a range of "all in one" inkjet
    >> printers, photo quality with pigment inks, with consumable costs 1/2
    >> that of current prices from Epson/HP/Canon.
    >> More info here:
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07020601kodakallinoneprinters.asp
    >>
    >> US prices:
    >> Standard quality 180 sheets and a 5-color, pigment ink cartridge for
    >> $17.99
    >> The Higher quality paper pack is 135 sheets + ink cartridge for $19.99
    >>
    >> By comparison, the 13" carriage width photo printer (Epson) I use
    >> would cost about US$50 (at US prices) in ink and paper to produce 135
    >> 6x4" prints on quality paper.
    >> An Epson Picturemate 100 print (ink + paper) pack costs about NZ$50
    >> here. (The small picturemates are actually cheaper per 6x4 print than
    >> A4 and larger printers)
    >>
    >> Hope they sell them here - even if we pay the typical 1/3 more for
    >> consumables than US, that would still mean being able to print at home
    >> for about 25 cents or less per 6x4 print instead of 50 cents.

    > Didn't Epson just drop their prices in the last few weeks? They have
    > been advertising a lot but I thought their main incentive was to try and
    > stop people from buying the generic inks.
    >
    > Anything that brings down the prices of ink is always welcome!

    AFAIK - no significant price drop from Epson.
    Anyway, for example 50 sheets of 6x4 premium glossy photo paper is $19.95.
    That's much more than the price of the Kodak packages offered - and
    doesn't even include ink.
    Epson sell their consumables for about 1/2 the NZ price in Japan - but
    the cartridges are chipped NOT to work in printers sold here. Epson,
    HP, and Canon have been creaming it for years. HP made 80% of their
    profit last year (US$5.5 billion) just from selling ink and toner.
    frederick, Feb 8, 2007