    simple household product?

    I was wondering about some aluminimum foil for a moment.

    Piece of chewing gum?

    Donald McTrevor, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Donald McTrevor

    Fakename Guest

    Most of the reason it's expensive is the quantity in which you buy it.
    If you go to an industrial supply store you can probably get something
    that will work just as well, or better, by the litre for a fraction of
    the X/unit cost.

    I've never tested this theory, I just know that a friend of mine, a
    machinist, put a bunch of super conductive goop on my car's battery
    posts one time. He was a cheap bastard to I know it couldn't have cost
    him more than a couple of bucks. But that much heatsink compound would
    have cost a bunch...

    Fakename, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Yes I know its the economies of scale, it's hardly worth a shop
    stocking a product under £1 unless it sells them by the bucket load.
    Just annoys me that I am probably paying 100 times more
    than it costs them to produce!!!

    I am just sure there is probably product I have lying around the house,
    or in the garage which would have done an adaquate job.
    I was thinking maybe radiator paint, which is obviously heat
    resistant, but I just checked and it doesn't conduct electricity,
    so probably not heat either. (oddly).

    Donald McTrevor, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Donald McTrevor

    bambam Guest

    "Donald McTrevor" <> wrote in news:7FOJe.19774$Aw4.15386
    @newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

    > I am a bit miffed that I had to pay £2.40 for three small blob
    > sized packets of heatsink compound, particularly as the
    > processosr only cost me £1.50 inc P&P.
    >
    > Also I saw a CPU fan with some included compound for
    > £4, unfortunatly it was for socket A not socket 7
    >
    > Is there anything else I could have used instead, some
    > simple household product?
    >
    > I was wondering about some aluminimum foil for a moment.
    >
    > Piece of chewing gum?

    Vegemite or toothpaste? ;o)

    http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

    bambam, Aug 9, 2005