CHEAPER BY DOZEN:"censored" commentary?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Curtin/Dobbs, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. Curtin/Dobbs

    Curtin/Dobbs Guest

    Listening to the commentary, I noticed that in a couple scenes with
    "Punk'd"-boy Ashton Kutcher, non-stop talker director Shawn Levy falls
    conspicuously silent. My theory is that Levy had recorded commentary during
    these scenes, but was ordered to remove it after the fact and too late for
    any re-recording. The reason probably being that Kutcher, who appeared
    unbilled in _Cheaper By the Dozen_ and had starred in Levy's previous film,
    _Just Married_, did not want to be talked about in the commentary, or
    perhaps could not be mentioned contractually because he had a non-billed
    role. Anyway, if anybody knows for sure, I'm curious to know. Thanks. I'm
    also curious to know, though only slightly, if Levy and Kutcher had a
    falling out over this; Levy's stock is rising in Hollywood, as he's making
    the new Pink Panther movie with _Cheaper..._ star Steve Martin.

    BTW, _Cheaper by the Dozen_ succeeds for what it is--it's a funny family
    movie. Kids like it and you can enjoy watching it with you family. Me, I
    wanted to go live in the 2 houses the Bakers(get it?) had in the film. It
    turns out the Midland house was actually in Petaluma, CA and the Evanston,
    IL house was in the Hancock Park(sp?) neighborhood of LA. How much do you
    think the Hancock Park house would sell for? BTW, the interior of the
    Evanston house was a two-story set.

    ....Curtin/Dobbs
    Curtin/Dobbs, Apr 7, 2004

  2. On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:36:13 GMT, "Curtin/Dobbs" <>
    wrote:

    >Listening to the commentary, I noticed that in a couple scenes with
    >"Punk'd"-boy Ashton Kutcher, non-stop talker director Shawn Levy falls
    >conspicuously silent. My theory is that Levy had recorded commentary during
    >these scenes, but was ordered to remove it after the fact and too late for
    >any re-recording. The reason probably being that Kutcher, who appeared
    >unbilled in _Cheaper By the Dozen_ and had starred in Levy's previous film,
    >_Just Married_, did not want to be talked about in the commentary, or
    >perhaps could not be mentioned contractually because he had a non-billed
    >role. Anyway, if anybody knows for sure, I'm curious to know. Thanks. I'm
    >also curious to know, though only slightly, if Levy and Kutcher had a
    >falling out over this; Levy's stock is rising in Hollywood, as he's making
    >the new Pink Panther movie with _Cheaper..._ star Steve Martin.

    They're letting him do the third attempt to revive a played out
    series? Sounds like someone hates him worse than cancer.

    John Harkness

    John Harkness, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Curtin/Dobbs

    Mark Steese Guest

    John Harkness <> wrote in

    [snip]
    >>I'm curious to know. Thanks. I'm also curious to know, though only
    >>slightly, if Levy and Kutcher had a falling out over this; Levy's
    >>stock is rising in Hollywood, as he's making the new Pink Panther
    >>movie with _Cheaper..._ star Steve Martin.

    > They're letting him do the third attempt to revive a played out
    > series? Sounds like someone hates him worse than cancer.

    This time last year, I would have said the same thing based on the fact
    that they let him direct a remake of a 1950 Clifton Webb family comedy
    starring Steve Martin.
    --
    Mark Steese
    unscramble and underscore to email