    --
    Walker Moore
    (-_-),,|,

    Walker Moore, Jan 9, 2008

  2. Walker Moore wrote:
    > I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
    >
    > Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
    > I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
    > calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
    > anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
    > hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
    > relying on a PC.

    i think your best bet is the siemens S460, which you can find for 60-80
    quid.

    (our online sales link: http://store.gradwell.com/s.nl/it.A/id.455/.f)

    all the sip/wifi phones are rubbish and expensive (IMO)

    cheers
    peter

    <email/web_hosting/business_voip> <t:01225 800 810>

    Peter Gradwell, Jan 9, 2008

  3. Walker Moore

    mr deo Guest

    "Walker Moore" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
    >
    > Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
    > I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
    > calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
    > anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
    > hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
    > relying on a PC.
    > --
    > Walker Moore
    > (-_-),,|,

    Firstly..
    Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
    Second, Buy an ATA.

    DECT phones actually compress the data and do their own type of VoIP.. I
    just wish one of the big manufactures would drop us a ethernet port on the
    base units ;(

    mr deo, Jan 9, 2008
  4. Walker Moore

    Graham. Guest

    > I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
    >
    > Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95, I'd
    > like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing calls
    > through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find anything decent
    > on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was hoping to get a
    > handset that will connect directly through this without relying on a PC.

    My advice is don't get a wifi phone.
    Instead get them an ATA and connect it to an ordinary DECT cordless phone

    I use a Linksys PAP2 with separate DECT bases on the two ports, so we have
    two independent lines on the same voipcheap.com account.
    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jan 9, 2008
  5. Walker Moore

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:00:02 +0000, Walker Moore
    <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
    >
    >Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
    >I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
    >calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
    >anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
    >hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
    >relying on a PC.

    Instead of a SIP/WiFi phone I'd choose an Analogue Telephone Adapter.
    Assuming that they wish to keep their current telephone line I would
    recommend a Linksys 3102. There are plenty of people on this group
    that have these so, despite being a little difficult ot set up, you
    should be able to get the right advice on how to proceed. Connect up
    the 3102 accordingly and you'll have your SIP and landline calls
    together on the same set of standard analogue handsets that currently
    exist. It is easiest to do of course with a cordless phone set.
    There's a link to broadbandstuff here
    http://tinyurl.com/yql5th
    There is some sales talk amongst the description but you shoud be able
    to get the gist of what it will do. Also try googling for more info.
    You'll need to get a converter lead as well to convert from the
    connection on the ATA to a BT style socket.
    http://tinyurl.com/ynvo5f
    No recommendation intended from the links. Just to give you an idea of
    the ATA and cost.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---

    Brian A, Jan 9, 2008
  6. mr deo <> wrote in <%Z3hj.34267$>:

    > Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
    > Second, Buy an ATA.

    > DECT phones actually compress the data and do their own type of VoIP.. I
    > just wish one of the big manufactures would drop us a ethernet port on the
    > base units ;(

    Siemens C450 IP.

    I have only used it in testing (no hour-long phone conversations, just
    short calls to an asterisk script) but it works. Initial voip setup via the
    handset can be cumbersome but you can do all the setup via the internal
    webserver (they seem to have fixed the javascript problems I saw when I
    first tested it).

    It indeed has a base with an ethernet port and an analogue line. You can
    set up simple dialing rules.

    Koos van den Hout

    --
    Koos van den Hout Homepage: http://idefix.net/~koos/
    Fax: +31-30-2817051 PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5

    Koos van den Hout, Jan 9, 2008
  7. Walker Moore

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Paul Hayes, Jan 9, 2008
  8. Walker Moore

    Walker Moore Guest

    mr deo wrote:
    > "Walker Moore" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
    >>
    >> Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
    >> I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
    >> calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
    >> anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
    >> hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
    >> relying on a PC.
    >> --
    >> Walker Moore
    >> (-_-),,|,

    > Firstly..
    > Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
    > Second, Buy an ATA.

    They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT
    phones when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone through
    numerous base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not possible to
    connect a Siemen's handset through their existing BT Diverse base
    station because it needs to plug into an ethernet port on the router?

    If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
    Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
    have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
    detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
    expensive replacing them all.

    Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great
    on my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
    suppose.
    --
    Walker Moore
    (-_-),,|,

    Walker Moore, Jan 9, 2008
  9. Walker Moore

    Walker Moore Guest

    Walker Moore wrote:
    > mr deo wrote:
    >> "Walker Moore" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
    >>>
    >>> Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
    >>> I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
    >>> calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
    >>> anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
    >>> hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
    >>> relying on a PC.
    >>> --
    >>> Walker Moore
    >>> (-_-),,|,

    >> Firstly..
    >> Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
    >> Second, Buy an ATA.

    > They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT
    > phones when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone through
    > numerous base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not possible to
    > connect a Siemen's handset through their existing BT Diverse base
    > station because it needs to plug into an ethernet port on the router?
    >
    > If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
    > Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
    > have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
    > detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
    > expensive replacing them all.
    >
    > Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great
    > on my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
    > suppose.

    Hmm, sorry for the reply to self. I've managed to confuse your post and
    Grahams (about the Siemens handset). They have a BT Diverse 5250 setup.
    I'll have to check the instructions to see how it handles multiple
    lines. (It's gotta be intuitive for my folks to use it successfully.)
    If it looks simple enough, I'll be the ATA. Thanks for the advice
    everybody. =)

    --
    Walker Moore
    (-_-),,|,

    Walker Moore, Jan 9, 2008
  10. Walker Moore

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Walker Moore wrote:

    > If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
    > Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
    > have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
    > detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
    > expensive replacing them all.
    >
    > Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great
    > on my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
    > suppose.

    The Siemens base station is GAP compatible so if their current BT
    Diverse phones are also GAP compatible then yes they will work.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Jan 9, 2008
  11. Walker Moore

    Graham. Guest

    >> Firstly..
    >> Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
    >> Second, Buy an ATA.

    > They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT phones
    > when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone through numerous
    > base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not possible to connect a
    > Siemen's handset through their existing BT Diverse base station because it
    > needs to plug into an ethernet port on the router?
    >
    > If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
    > Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
    > have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
    > detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
    > expensive replacing them all.
    >
    > Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great on
    > my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
    > suppose.
    > --
    > Walker Moore
    > (-_-),,|,

    So they already have a DECT base with 5 handsets registered to it?
    Just leave that as it is, and put an ATA between the DECT base line-
    cord and the router. The ATA *is* the phone to Ethernet converter
    (as it were)

    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jan 9, 2008
  12. Walker Moore

    Walker Moore Guest

    Graham. wrote:
    >>> Firstly..
    >>> Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
    >>> Second, Buy an ATA.

    >> They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT phones
    >> when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone through numerous
    >> base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not possible to connect a
    >> Siemen's handset through their existing BT Diverse base station because it
    >> needs to plug into an ethernet port on the router?
    >>
    >> If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
    >> Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
    >> have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
    >> detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
    >> expensive replacing them all.
    >>
    >> Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great on
    >> my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
    >> suppose.
    >> --
    >> Walker Moore
    >> (-_-),,|,

    > So they already have a DECT base with 5 handsets registered to it?
    > Just leave that as it is, and put an ATA between the DECT base line-
    > cord and the router. The ATA *is* the phone to Ethernet converter
    > (as it were)

    Right. Thanks for clarifying that. I clearly got confused somewhere
    between those two posts I accidentally responded to as though they came
    from the same person. =D

    When you use an ATA, how do you switch between the regular line and
    VOIP? Is it straightforward?
    --
    Walker Moore
    (-_-),,|,

    Walker Moore, Jan 9, 2008
  13. Walker Moore

    TheFug Guest

    Walker Moore schreef:
    > mr deo wrote:
    >> "Walker Moore" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
    >>>
    >>> Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
    >>> I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
    >>> calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
    >>> anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
    >>> hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
    >>> relying on a PC.
    >>> --
    >>> Walker Moore
    >>> (-_-),,|,

    >> Firstly..
    >> Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
    >> Second, Buy an ATA.

    > They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT
    > phones when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone through
    > numerous base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not possible to
    > connect a Siemen's handset through their existing BT Diverse base
    > station because it needs to plug into an ethernet port on the router?
    >
    > If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
    > Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
    > have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
    > detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
    > expensive replacing them all.
    >
    > Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great
    > on my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
    > suppose.

    @ OP:
    The advantage of a ATA, is, that you manage the dialrules from there,
    and you can make it so nobody will notice it, and you don't have to give
    "instructions"..

    --

    The Fug.

    TheFug, Jan 9, 2008
  14. Walker Moore

    Jono Guest

    Walker Moore explained :

    > When you use an ATA, how do you switch between the regular line and VOIP? Is
    > it straightforward?

    Yes.

    I have mine (SPA3102) set up to automatically select the regular line
    for freephone calls and other 08 numbers.

    It is also possible to possible to set it up such that a given prefix,
    say *, selects the appropriate line.

    The cheaper ATAs have a switch on the top to dial using the regular
    line.

    Jono, Jan 9, 2008
  15. Walker Moore

    TheFug Guest

    Walker Moore schreef:
    >>> They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT
    >>> phones when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone
    >>> through numerous base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not
    >>> possible to connect a Siemen's handset through their existing BT
    >>> Diverse base station because it needs to plug into an ethernet port
    >>> on the router?
    >>>
    >>> If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
    >>> Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base?
    >>> They have five handsets (all very much required due to large house,
    >>> and a detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could
    >>> be expensive replacing them all.
    >>>
    >>> Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just
    >>> great on my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running
    >>> SymbianOS I suppose.
    >>> --
    >>> Walker Moore
    >>> (-_-),,|,

    >> So they already have a DECT base with 5 handsets registered to it?
    >> Just leave that as it is, and put an ATA between the DECT base line-
    >> cord and the router. The ATA *is* the phone to Ethernet converter
    >> (as it were)

    > Right. Thanks for clarifying that. I clearly got confused somewhere
    > between those two posts I accidentally responded to as though they came
    > from the same person. =D
    >
    > When you use an ATA, how do you switch between the regular line and
    > VOIP? Is it straightforward?

    You can set this in the dialplan, you let tru this dialplan, detect,
    which number is dialed, and according to this it will use which provider
    you have set for this, or which line... you can use also a service like
    www.mysipswitch.com then you only need to buy a simple (SPA3102) to
    manage all your VoIP providers, and you can also connect your landline
    to it.

    --

    The Fug.

    TheFug, Jan 9, 2008
  16. In article <>,
    Walker Moore <> wrote:
    >I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
    >
    >Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
    >I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
    >calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
    >anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
    >hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
    >relying on a PC.

    Like others have suggested, I'd stay away from Wi-Fi phones and go down
    the DECT route ... However ... If you want a relatively cheap Wi-Fi
    phone, then have a look at:

    http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=36

    I have one of these I bought a while back to play with.. It works ...
    Most of the time ... It didn't pass the "Wife Test" though. It
    occasionally loses registration for no good reason and needs rebooting.
    Sometimes it takes a few times to register and work. Audio quality is
    reasonable, but not stellar. (for a phone)

    And you've then got the crappyness of Wi-Fi to put up with, which really
    wasn't designed for the full-duplexy nature of VoIP calls. (Wi-Fi is
    half duplex)

    Good luck...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jan 9, 2008
  17. Walker Moore

    Walker Moore Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Walker Moore <> wrote:
    >> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
    >>
    >> Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
    >> I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
    >> calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
    >> anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
    >> hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
    >> relying on a PC.

    > Like others have suggested, I'd stay away from Wi-Fi phones and go down
    > the DECT route ... However ... If you want a relatively cheap Wi-Fi
    > phone, then have a look at:
    >
    > http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=36
    >
    > I have one of these I bought a while back to play with.. It works ...
    > Most of the time ... It didn't pass the "Wife Test" though. It
    > occasionally loses registration for no good reason and needs rebooting.
    > Sometimes it takes a few times to register and work. Audio quality is
    > reasonable, but not stellar. (for a phone)
    >
    > And you've then got the crappyness of Wi-Fi to put up with, which really
    > wasn't designed for the full-duplexy nature of VoIP calls. (Wi-Fi is
    > half duplex)

    They got the same router as me. Netgear DG834N. They're Draft-N
    wireless, which is about six times faster than traditional Wireless G,
    and 1.5 - 3 times faster than a wired ethernet connection. They also
    utilise MIMO (simultaneous tx and rx) so effectively comparable to
    full-duplex. It's the first wireless ADSL2+ router I've personally had
    that's suitable for gaming because latency is as low as a wired
    connection (10ms-12ms through my ISP bethere.co.uk).

    Maybe that's why I have such good results with my Nokia N95 with regards
    VOIP telephony. Maybe it would be a different story if I had a Wireless
    G router.

    Thanks again for the response. Having read all the expert responses
    here, it looks like an ATA is going to be the better solution. Time to
    find a good one.... ;)
    --
    Walker Moore
    (-_-),,|,

    Walker Moore, Jan 9, 2008
  18. Walker Moore

    Jono Guest

    Walker Moore presented the following explanation :

    > Thanks again for the response. Having read all the expert responses here, it
    > looks like an ATA is going to be the better solution. Time to find a good
    > one.... ;)

    Depending on how sophisticated you want, look at AVM's Fritz!box or
    Linksys' SPA3102. Both of which can integrate the PSTN line. Many like
    the Grandstream.

    The other suggestion you may have overlooked is the Siemens C460IP

    Jono, Jan 9, 2008
  19. Walker Moore

    Herman Guest

    > Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Walker Moore <> wrote:
    >>> I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.
    >>>
    >>> Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
    >>> I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
    >>> calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
    >>> anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
    >>> hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
    >>> relying on a PC.

    >> Like others have suggested, I'd stay away from Wi-Fi phones and go down
    >> the DECT route ... However ... If you want a relatively cheap Wi-Fi
    >> phone, then have a look at:
    >>
    >> http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=36
    >>
    >> I have one of these I bought a while back to play with.. It works ...
    >> Most of the time ... It didn't pass the "Wife Test" though. It
    >> occasionally loses registration for no good reason and needs rebooting.
    >> Sometimes it takes a few times to register and work. Audio quality is
    >> reasonable, but not stellar. (for a phone)
    >>
    >> And you've then got the crappyness of Wi-Fi to put up with, which really
    >> wasn't designed for the full-duplexy nature of VoIP calls. (Wi-Fi is
    >> half duplex)

    > They got the same router as me. Netgear DG834N. They're Draft-N
    > wireless, which is about six times faster than traditional Wireless G, and
    > 1.5 - 3 times faster than a wired ethernet connection. They also utilise
    > MIMO (simultaneous tx and rx) so effectively comparable to full-duplex.
    > It's the first wireless ADSL2+ router I've personally had that's suitable
    > for gaming because latency is as low as a wired connection (10ms-12ms
    > through my ISP bethere.co.uk).
    >
    > Maybe that's why I have such good results with my Nokia N95 with regards
    > VOIP telephony. Maybe it would be a different story if I had a Wireless G
    > router.
    >
    > Thanks again for the response. Having read all the expert responses here,
    > it looks like an ATA is going to be the better solution. Time to find a
    > good one.... ;)
    > --
    > Walker Moore
    > (-_-),,|,

    I can also recommend the FritzBox. I find it to be low maintenance once you
    have got the set up right. I think it is a lot easier to set up than an SPA
    3102 as well.
    I particularly like the fact that it tries tr re-register if registration
    fails for whatever reason. With my Linksys ATA, I often had to re-boot when
    it lost registration.

    Just my opinion though.

    Herman, Jan 9, 2008
  20. Walker Moore

    alexd Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:40:32 +0000, Walker Moore wrote:

    > Gordon Henderson wrote:

    >> And you've then got the crappyness of Wi-Fi to put up with, which
    >> really wasn't designed for the full-duplexy nature of VoIP calls.
    >> (Wi-Fi is half duplex)

    > They got the same router as me. Netgear DG834N. They're Draft-N
    > wireless, which is about six times faster than traditional Wireless G,
    > and 1.5 - 3 times faster than a wired ethernet connection. They also
    > utilise MIMO (simultaneous tx and rx) so effectively comparable to
    > full-duplex. It's the first wireless ADSL2+ router I've personally had
    > that's suitable for gaming because latency is as low as a wired
    > connection (10ms-12ms through my ISP bethere.co.uk).
    >
    > Maybe that's why I have such good results with my Nokia N95 with regards
    > VOIP telephony. Maybe it would be a different story if I had a Wireless
    > G router.

    Is the N95 pre-N? Or does the pre-N router make the Nokia perform better
    than G?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:09:46 up 4 days, 10:34, 2 users, load average: 1.46, 1.52, 1.52

    alexd, Jan 9, 2008