Cheap system rebuild

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by noone@nospamyahoo.cnn, Jan 19, 2008.

  1. Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:01:02 -0500, ROB S <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:54:46 -0500, ROB S wrote:
    >
    >> I'm building a cheap upgrade for my niece as her motherboard has gone to
    >> join the dead pool.
    >>
    >> Trying to keep it as cheap as possible, i.e. re-use as much as I can,
    >> I'm looking at boards that will take Intel dual core, ddr and agp. I've
    >> come up with a few, with the best of a bad bunch looking like the Asrock
    >> 4CoreDX90-VSTA. It takes core 2 duo cpus, but does that mean it will run
    >> the older dual core cpus, like the E2160 or E2180? Intel keep changing
    >> their model ids, and I haven't been keeping track of them.
    >>

    >I hate replying to my own posts, but a slight mistake needs rectifying.
    >The Asrock motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot, but the onboard graphics
    >will be plenty good enough for the uses the pc will be put to.

    So you can forget 3D games then..
    , Jan 19, 2008

  2. ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "ROB S" typed:
    > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:54:46 -0500, ROB S wrote:
    >
    >> I'm building a cheap upgrade for my niece as her motherboard has
    >> gone to join the dead pool.
    >>
    >> Trying to keep it as cheap as possible, i.e. re-use as much as I can,
    >> I'm looking at boards that will take Intel dual core, ddr and agp.
    >> I've come up with a few, with the best of a bad bunch looking like
    >> the Asrock 4CoreDX90-VSTA. It takes core 2 duo cpus, but does that
    >> mean it will run the older dual core cpus, like the E2160 or E2180?
    >> Intel keep changing their model ids, and I haven't been keeping
    >> track of them.
    >>

    > I hate replying to my own posts, but a slight mistake needs
    > rectifying. The Asrock motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot, but the
    > onboard graphics will be plenty good enough for the uses the pc will
    > be put to.

    Yes, it takes the E2xxx series of CPUs:

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4CoreDX90-VSTA&s=

    Literally 20 seconds with Google found that.
    --

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 19, 2008

  3. Enkidu Guest

    ROB S wrote:

    > I'm building a cheap upgrade for my niece as her motherboard has gone to
    > join the dead pool.
    >
    > Trying to keep it as cheap as possible, i.e. re-use as much as I can, I'm
    > looking at boards that will take Intel dual core, ddr and agp. I've come
    > up with a few, with the best of a bad bunch looking like the Asrock
    > 4CoreDX90-VSTA. It takes core 2 duo cpus, but does that mean it will run
    > the older dual core cpus, like the E2160 or E2180? Intel keep changing
    > their model ids, and I haven't been keeping track of them.

    Rather than trying to find a board that will fit the old bits, it might
    be worth looking at a 'bare-bones' kit - plenty of places do them.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    ROB S, Jan 19, 2008
  5. ROB S Guest

    ROB S, Jan 19, 2008
  6. ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "ROB S" typed:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:54:46 -0500, ROB S wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm building a cheap upgrade for my niece as her motherboard has
    >>> gone to join the dead pool.
    >>>
    >>> Trying to keep it as cheap as possible, i.e. re-use as much as I
    >>> can, I'm looking at boards that will take Intel dual core, ddr and
    >>> agp. I've come up with a few, with the best of a bad bunch looking
    >>> like the Asrock 4CoreDX90-VSTA. It takes core 2 duo cpus, but does
    >>> that mean it will run the older dual core cpus, like the E2160 or
    >>> E2180? Intel keep changing their model ids, and I haven't been
    >>> keeping track of them.
    >>>

    >> I hate replying to my own posts, but a slight mistake needs
    >> rectifying. The Asrock motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot, but the
    >> onboard graphics will be plenty good enough for the uses the pc will
    >> be put to.

    > Yes, it takes the E2xxx series of CPUs:
    >
    > http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4CoreDX90-VSTA&s=

    Nah, it's OK Rob, don't mention it man. No problem. Anytime......

    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2008
  7. ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rob S" typed:
    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:20:57 +1300
    > "~misfit~" <> took time out from filleting
    > whitebait to write:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "ROB S" typed:

    >>> Yes, it takes the E2xxx series of CPUs:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4CoreDX90-VSTA&s=

    >> Nah, it's OK Rob, don't mention it man. No problem. Anytime......
    >>

    > Sorry I didn't reply. Been out of town for a few days. Thanks for the
    > help. Sometimes it's not easy to come up with the right search
    > string. I'd tried somthing similar, but didn't get that result.

    Fair 'nuf. I'm used to searching for such info, having researched/built a
    few systems for myself and gaming friends.

    > And to no-one's reply, not everyone plays 3d games. Maybe if he was
    > 60 years younger.
    >
    > I've been looking at reviews on the e2140, and I'm tempted to get one
    > myself, if I hadn't just upgraded not long ago. The e2140 looks to be
    > an overclockers dream, one version of it anyway. 3Ghz from a 1.6Ghz
    > baseline. Could have saved $150 and ended up with a faster system,
    > though the savings would probably have had to go into extra cooling.

    I have a freind who got an E2xxx and he regrets it. He wishes he'd bought an
    E4xxx. I'm pleased I spoke to him before I spent my money. The main
    difference being the E4xxx has twice the L2 and either core can address the
    whole of it if needed. The E2xxx has 1MB which consists of 2 x 512, not
    internally linked in any way. Also the E4xxx's support more microcode (?)
    like SSSE3. If your chosen process only uses one core, with the E2xxx it'll
    only have access to 512MB L2. With an E4xxx it'll have the whole 2MB. That
    can make a huge difference. All the 'Core' series of CPUs have this shared
    L2 feature and it's bloody great. (That's why the E2xxx CPUs aren't called
    'Core', they're called 'Pentium' instead)

    Depending on where you buy, it'll /only/ cost maybe 40% more for a much
    better CPU. Maybe even less.

    http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_24&products_id=3803

    Also, with a good motherboard and cooling (I have an Asus P5K-E WiFi and a
    Tt MiniTyphoon) you can get impressive overclocks. There's no guarantee that
    you'll do as well as my particular slice of silicon though. My E4500
    (2.2GHz), using the above, is running at 3.3GHz (413 x 8) and even on the
    hottest days last week only hit 55°C under 200% load. Perhaps it would go
    higher but I'm in no need of more power. Also, at 412MHz FSB I can run my
    DDR2-800 RAM 1:1. Stable of course, I don't see the point in overclocking if
    you end up with a flaky system so I stress-test for minimum 24 hours under
    full load.

    Anyway, as it's for your niece it probably doesn't matter about the OC
    potentail. However, the L2 issue still applies.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2008
  8. Rob S Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:20:57 +1300
    "~misfit~" <> took time out from filleting whitebait to write:

    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
    > > Somewhere on teh intarweb "ROB S" typed:

    > >> I hate replying to my own posts, but a slight mistake needs
    > >> rectifying. The Asrock motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot, but the
    > >> onboard graphics will be plenty good enough for the uses the pc will
    > >> be put to.

    > > Yes, it takes the E2xxx series of CPUs:
    > >
    > > http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4CoreDX90-VSTA&s=

    > Nah, it's OK Rob, don't mention it man. No problem. Anytime......
    >

    > --
    > Shaun.

    Sorry I didn't reply. Been out of town for a few days. Thanks for the help. Sometimes it's not easy to come up with the right search string. I'd tried somthing similar, but didn't get that result.

    And to no-one's reply, not everyone plays 3d games. Maybe if he was 60 years younger.

    I've been looking at reviews on the e2140, and I'm tempted to get one myself, if I hadn't just upgraded not long ago. The e2140 looks to be an overclockers dream, one version of it anyway. 3Ghz from a 1.6Ghz baseline. Could have saved $150 and ended up with a faster system, though the savings would probably have had to go into extra cooling.
    --
    Rob S

    Beta testers who lie! Next time on Geraldo!

    Rob S, Jan 24, 2008