    Thanks,

    Dave H.

    --
    DH, Jan 22, 2004

  2. DH

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in news:buo6fp$jk9vl$1@ID-
    98730.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > I don't want to give the link as I don't want to promote them if they are
    > bogus.

    Posting it would be OK. Odds are if they are selling for only $39, they
    are selling you either a license with no media, or media but no license.
    As in, they will sell you a license to use the software but not give you
    the software, or they are selling you the CD to install it but no legal
    right to use it.

    Sounds fishy, but post the link anyway. If it is indeed too good to be
    true but is true anyway, I may go on an upgrade spree and upgrade my house
    from 2000 to XP. Can't beat that price.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 22, 2004

  3. DH

    Pepperoni Guest

    Report the spam to
    http://www.bsa.org/usa/report/Reporting-Form.cfm
    Business software alliance piracy report

    Microsoft Products
    If the piracy you know about involves Microsoft® products, please e-mail
    or fill out the piracy reporting form at
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.asp.

    Internet fraud complaint center (FBI)
    http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

    I would take the time to report to all of these sites. A lot of the piracy
    originates overseas, and is a big problem. There are a lot of sites that
    allow downloads of pirated software, but there are also credit card rip offs
    involved in these scams.

    Be sure to copy the entire source info from the email or web posting.

    Pepperoni

    "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in message
    > I have received spam from a couple of different vendors that sell Windows

    XP
    > Pro for $39.00US. Other name brand software packages are sold at similar
    > discounts. Are these guys for real? Has anyone tried to buy anything

    from

    Pepperoni, Jan 22, 2004
  4. DH

    DH Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in news:buo6fp$jk9vl$1@ID-
    > 98730.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > > I don't want to give the link as I don't want to promote them if they

    are
    > > bogus.

    > Posting it would be OK. Odds are if they are selling for only $39, they
    > are selling you either a license with no media, or media but no license.
    > As in, they will sell you a license to use the software but not give you
    > the software, or they are selling you the CD to install it but no legal
    > right to use it.
    >
    > Sounds fishy, but post the link anyway. If it is indeed too good to be
    > true but is true anyway, I may go on an upgrade spree and upgrade my house
    > from 2000 to XP. Can't beat that price.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    In reading the faqs, it states
    "You get the CD(s) with the software in jewel case and labels. You also get
    the activation key, serial number or cd key necessary to activate the
    software so it work"

    The faqs also state:
    "The software is shipped from Eastern Europe"

    As much as I dislike MS, I suspect that they will not be getting their cut
    and this isn't right. I think I'll file it under "Spam".

    Dave H.
    DH, Jan 22, 2004
  5. DH

    Jerry G. Guest

    These are all pirate software, if you read the published news reports. The
    price that they are asking is well below even the distribution cost.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Jan 22, 2004
  6. DH wrote:
    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >
    >>"DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in news:buo6fp$jk9vl$1@ID-
    >>98730.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >>

    >>>I don't want to give the link as I don't want to promote them if they

    > are
    >
    >>>bogus.

    >>Posting it would be OK. Odds are if they are selling for only $39, they
    >>are selling you either a license with no media, or media but no license.
    >>As in, they will sell you a license to use the software but not give you
    >>the software, or they are selling you the CD to install it but no legal
    >>right to use it.
    >>
    >>Sounds fishy, but post the link anyway. If it is indeed too good to be
    >>true but is true anyway, I may go on an upgrade spree and upgrade my house
    >>from 2000 to XP. Can't beat that price.
    >>

    > In reading the faqs, it states
    > "You get the CD(s) with the software in jewel case and labels. You also get
    > the activation key, serial number or cd key necessary to activate the
    > software so it work"
    >
    > The faqs also state:
    > "The software is shipped from Eastern Europe"
    >
    > As much as I dislike MS, I suspect that they will not be getting their cut
    > and this isn't right. I think I'll file it under "Spam".
    >
    > Dave H.

    Sounds likely to be pirated to me. I notice that they don't mention
    (according to your post) a COA. As I understand it, the license is in
    the COA, not just in the serial number/key. (Of course they could
    provide a counterfeit COA just as they could be/probably are providing
    counterfeit CD's.)

    I've purchased some software (Norton SystemWorks) from a discounter & it
    appeared to be legit-a year-old version w/o manuals, but apparently
    legit. I did hear a couple of months later though that there were some
    very good counterfeits going around. My problem is, if the counterfeits
    are good enough to fool experts how can I be expected to tell the
    difference?
    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 22, 2004
  7. DH

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in

    > "You get the CD(s) with the software in jewel case and labels. You
    > also get
    > the activation key, serial number or cd key necessary to activate the
    > software so it work"

    Notice the phrasing:
    "get the ... to activate the software so it works". They shouldn't have to
    mention that. Obviously they are selling pirated versions with
    stolen/cracked serial numbers.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 22, 2004
  8. DH

    Vince Slevin Guest

    The buying isn't secure with a certificate and the email address is fake. On
    the whois theres a different email. Also, the prices are too low and free
    shippin gto the US from Europe. I bet he doesnt even send you anything.

    Vince Slevin, Jan 23, 2004
  9. DH

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Vince Slevin" <> wrote in

    > The buying isn't secure with a certificate and the email address is
    > fake. On the whois theres a different email. Also, the prices are too
    > low and free shippin gto the US from Europe. I bet he doesnt even send
    > you anything.

    I don't see why he wouldn't. Spending ~$.15 on a CDR + ~$10 to send you
    something in the mail for a total of $40 means you make ~$30 profit per
    item.

    Just because there is a free shipping offer doesn't mean nothing will be
    shipped, see NewEgg.com, where things like Monitors and Cases usually
    qualify for free shipping, or $5 shipping (on average, I've found shipping
    a 19" CRT from CA to NJ is like $38).

    But yes, in this case, the entire thing is a sham to sell pirated software,
    and the OP should indeed report it to the FBI and to .
    Out of the two, I'd be much more afraid of microsoft. They have gone after
    people with domain names like mikerowesoft.ca and mikerosoft.ca with
    threats of legal action for attempting to impersonate
    Microsoft.ca/Microsoft.com and for registering the domain names in bad
    faith. I mean, wtf, if your name is Mike Rowe and you have software, why
    is MikeRoweSoft a bad faith name? Either way, sending a piracy report to
    MS is absolutely certain to get some type of action taken.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 23, 2004
  10. DH

    Plato Guest

    DH wrote:

    > I have received spam from a couple of different vendors that sell Windows XP
    > Pro for $39.00US. Other name brand software packages are sold at similar
    > discounts. Are these guys for real? Has anyone tried to buy anything from
    > one of those type vendors.

    Yep. all for real. I always trust what spammers say 100%.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 23, 2004