    Must be AC & DC for AMPS..

    The Cheap DSE one is only AC Amps..

    Thanks..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 10, 2004

  2. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Dave Taylor Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. <> wrote in
    news::

    > Seen some small ones on Toms site that he used for PSU test, any thing
    > like that here..
    >
    > Must be AC & DC for AMPS..
    >
    > The Cheap DSE one is only AC Amps..
    >

    > Thanks..

    You can't do clamp on DC amps AFAIK. AC is needed for the magnetic
    coupling to generate a voltage that can be measured by the meter.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 11, 2004

  3. The GHOST of WOGER.

    colinco Guest

    In article <Xns94E6BE12B11DBdaveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13>,
    says...
    > You can't do clamp on DC amps AFAIK. AC is needed for the magnetic
    > coupling to generate a voltage that can be measured by the meter.
    > Ciao, Dave

    You can do DC but who knows how accurate the cheap clamps are.

    colinco, May 11, 2004
  4. On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:05:54 +1200, colinco <> wrote:

    >In article <Xns94E6BE12B11DBdaveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13>,
    > says...
    >> You can't do clamp on DC amps AFAIK.

    Utter Bollocks they use a Hall device, go do some reading as you are Way Way
    Way out of date, I have used them..

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/40a07d490e41c8fe2740c0a87f990744/Product/View/Q1476

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 11, 2004
  5. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Dave Taylor Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:05:54 +1200, colinco <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <Xns94E6BE12B11DBdaveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13>,
    >> says...
    >>> You can't do clamp on DC amps AFAIK.

    > Utter Bollocks they use a Hall device, go do some reading as you are
    > Way Way Way out of date, I have used them..
    >

    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/40a07d490e41c8fe2740c0a87f9
    > 90744/Product/View/Q1476
    >

    >>>AC is needed for the magnetic
    >>> coupling to generate a voltage that can be measured by the meter.
    >>> Ciao, Dave
    >>>

    >>You can do DC but who knows how accurate the cheap clamps are.

    Learn something new today, good, I like that.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 11, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    says...

    > Seen some small ones on Toms site that he used for PSU test, any thing like
    > that here..
    >
    > Must be AC & DC for AMPS..
    >
    > The Cheap DSE one is only AC Amps..

    Most are, as a special sensor is needed to read DC current, which costs
    more

    Patrick Dunford, May 14, 2004
  7. In article <Xns94E6BE12B11DBdaveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13>,
    says...
    > The GHOST of WOGER. <> wrote in
    >

    > > Seen some small ones on Toms site that he used for PSU test, any thing
    > > like that here..
    > >
    > > Must be AC & DC for AMPS..
    > >
    > > The Cheap DSE one is only AC Amps..
    > >

    > > Thanks..
    > >

    > You can't do clamp on DC amps AFAIK. AC is needed for the magnetic
    > coupling to generate a voltage that can be measured by the meter.

    There are clamps available using "Hall effect" sensors, much more
    expensive

    Patrick Dunford, May 14, 2004
  8. Try Electrical Wholesalers (Powerbase Group in Nz)
    One that is Realatively cheap ($235 +GST in Nz)
    is the Deree 3110 ac/dc clamp up to 200 amps + voltage and resistance ranges
    I have sold 10 - 15 in the last year and have had none returned (ie faulty)
    Marketed by same Company that sells the Megger Brand of Meters
    Cheers Dave Hellberg
    Palmerston North
    NZ

    Dave Hellberg, May 15, 2004