    Comments please!

    Thanks
    David
    Lobster, May 25, 2007

  2. Lobster wrote:
    > I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera,
    > which I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >
    > I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at
    > is if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than
    > expensive branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?
    >
    > Or is it the case that if when tested thoroughly immediately after
    > purchase, it's more likely that a cheap card will not work, but that
    > if it *does* work OK, then it's no more likely to fail in service
    > than a branded card?
    >
    > Comments please!
    >
    > Thanks
    > David

    Card prices are coming down. Chances are good those are the same cards
    that were expensive a few months ago.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, May 25, 2007

  3. Lobster

    Pete D Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > Lobster wrote:
    >> I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera,
    >> which I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >>
    >> I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at
    >> is if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than
    >> expensive branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?
    >>
    >> Or is it the case that if when tested thoroughly immediately after
    >> purchase, it's more likely that a cheap card will not work, but that
    >> if it *does* work OK, then it's no more likely to fail in service
    >> than a branded card?
    >>
    >> Comments please!
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> David

    > Card prices are coming down. Chances are good those are the same cards
    > that were expensive a few months ago.

    Especially if they are "smaller" cards.
    Pete D, May 25, 2007
  4. Lobster

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    I got burned with cheap cards!

    1. They are usually Real Slow at reading, writing, and erasing. Beware!

    2. The plastic case is of poor quality and can break inside your camera! I
    had one separate near the contacts and catch on the contacts inside the
    camera. It was hard to remove and when I pulled it out it ruined the
    contacts inside the camera. Camera had to go to the factory for repair.

    BEWARE!

    I'll never buy an off-brand card again.

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, May 26, 2007
  5. Lobster

    Bob Williams Guest

    ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    > I got burned with cheap cards!
    >
    > 1. They are usually Real Slow at reading, writing, and erasing. Beware!
    >
    > 2. The plastic case is of poor quality and can break inside your camera! I
    > had one separate near the contacts and catch on the contacts inside the
    > camera. It was hard to remove and when I pulled it out it ruined the
    > contacts inside the camera. Camera had to go to the factory for repair.
    >
    > BEWARE!
    >
    > I'll never buy an off-brand card again.
    >
    > NM
    >

    > "Lobster" <> wrote in message
    >> I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera, which
    >> I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >>
    >> I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at is if
    >> you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than expensive
    >> branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?
    >>
    >> Or is it the case that if when tested thoroughly immediately after
    >> purchase, it's more likely that a cheap card will not work, but that if it
    >> *does* work OK, then it's no more likely to fail in service than a branded
    >> card?
    >>
    >> Comments please!
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> David

    This type of failure is no respecter of brand name or price.
    I had a pricey 1GB Corsair 133X SD Card and it came apart at the
    seams.It was hard to fish out of its slot just as you described.. I
    stuck it back together with a dot of Krazy Glue and is has worked fine
    ever since. Fast 1GBs now are so cheap that I'll probably just keep the
    Corsair for use on my computers as a Removable H.D.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, May 26, 2007
  6. Lobster

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Lobster wrote:
    > I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera, which
    > I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >
    > I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at is
    > if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than expensive
    > branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?
    >
    > Or is it the case that if when tested thoroughly immediately after
    > purchase, it's more likely that a cheap card will not work, but that if
    > it *does* work OK, then it's no more likely to fail in service than a
    > branded card?
    >
    > Comments please!
    >
    > Thanks
    > David

    Unless it has changed, there are only a few places that actually
    manufacture flash memory chips. All the companies marketing these cards
    buy their chips from these few places, and there is little difference
    between the cards of similar capacity and speed. The only significant
    difference between an expensive and cheap SD card is the capacity and
    speed. Unless you have a top of the line DSLR or Pro-sumer type of
    camera, you probably will get no great benefit from the faster cards, so
    don't bother spending a lot of money on a fast card, or one from a more
    expensive brand. And DON'T fall for buying a card from the camera
    manufacturer as they ALWAYS are overpriced.
    Ron Hunter, May 26, 2007
  7. Lobster

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    > I got burned with cheap cards!
    >
    > 1. They are usually Real Slow at reading, writing, and erasing. Beware!
    >
    > 2. The plastic case is of poor quality and can break inside your camera! I
    > had one separate near the contacts and catch on the contacts inside the
    > camera. It was hard to remove and when I pulled it out it ruined the
    > contacts inside the camera. Camera had to go to the factory for repair.
    >
    > BEWARE!
    >
    > I'll never buy an off-brand card again.
    >
    > NM

    what did you do to the card to cause the plastic to break? Leave it in
    the sun to bake, or force it into the camera? This is the first I have
    ever heard of such a thing happening to anyone. I can't credit it as
    being at all common, for any card.
    Ron Hunter, May 26, 2007
  8. On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:14:00 GMT, Lobster <>
    wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

    > I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera, which
    > I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >
    > I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at is
    > if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than expensive
    > branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?

    At work we've had expensive Kingston USB flash drives fail pretty quickly
    and cheap no brand ones be pretty indestructible. I think most flash chips
    are made by Samsung regardless of which company's name is on the outside
    casing. Also worth remembering that if it *does* fail, you can use the sale
    & supply of goods to consumers act to get a replacement on the grounds that
    it's faulty.

    mh.
    --
    http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
    http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

    From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
    Marcus Houlden, May 26, 2007
  9. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Marcus Houlden wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:14:00 GMT, Lobster <>
    > wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:
    >
    >> I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera, which
    >> I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >>
    >> I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at is
    >> if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than expensive
    >> branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?

    > At work we've had expensive Kingston USB flash drives fail pretty quickly
    > and cheap no brand ones be pretty indestructible. I think most flash chips
    > are made by Samsung regardless of which company's name is on the outside
    > casing. Also worth remembering that if it *does* fail, you can use the sale
    > & supply of goods to consumers act to get a replacement on the grounds that
    > it's faulty.

    Thanks for the replies.

    My query was brought about by seeing this promo - 6 GBP for a 1Gb SD
    card, which sounded a good deal:
    <http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_buys/productnl_224.html>

    However, just been on Amazon and found Kingston-branded cards on sale
    for a mere 1.83 GBP. Is that really right or am I missing something? I
    was expecting these to be about 10 GBP a go?. See:

    <http://tinyurl.com/2yw3k8> (or
    <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-1GB-Digital-SD/dp/B00070QI1I/ref=sr_1_7/026-5345353-7024418?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180189086&sr=1-7>

    Thanks
    David
    Lobster, May 26, 2007
  10. Lobster

    Trev Guest

    "Lobster" <> wrote in message
    > Marcus Houlden wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:14:00 GMT, Lobster
    >> <>
    >> wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:
    >>
    >>> I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera, which
    >>> I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >>>
    >>> I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at is
    >>> if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than expensive
    >>> branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?

    >> At work we've had expensive Kingston USB flash drives fail pretty quickly
    >> and cheap no brand ones be pretty indestructible. I think most flash
    >> chips
    >> are made by Samsung regardless of which company's name is on the outside
    >> casing. Also worth remembering that if it *does* fail, you can use the
    >> sale
    >> & supply of goods to consumers act to get a replacement on the grounds
    >> that
    >> it's faulty.

    > Thanks for the replies.
    >
    > My query was brought about by seeing this promo - 6 GBP for a 1Gb SD card,
    > which sounded a good deal:
    > <http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_buys/productnl_224.html>
    >
    > However, just been on Amazon and found Kingston-branded cards on sale for
    > a mere 1.83 GBP. Is that really right or am I missing something? I was
    > expecting these to be about 10 GBP a go?. See:
    >
    > <http://tinyurl.com/2yw3k8> (or
    > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-1GB-Digital-SD/dp/B00070QI1I/ref=sr_1_7/026-5345353-7024418?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180189086&sr=1-7>
    >
    > Thanks
    > David

    But its sold from Amazon not by Amazon so postage will be at £4,99 plus per
    item cost plus 1.83

    I would try the Aldi If it fails you can just pop back in the store for
    replacement or refund
    Trev, May 26, 2007
  11. Lobster

    Marvin Guest

    Lobster wrote:
    > I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera, which
    > I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >
    > I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at is
    > if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than expensive
    > branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?
    >
    > Or is it the case that if when tested thoroughly immediately after
    > purchase, it's more likely that a cheap card will not work, but that if
    > it *does* work OK, then it's no more likely to fail in service than a
    > branded card?
    >
    > Comments please!
    >
    > Thanks
    > David

    There is a price war in memory cards. The "cookie
    factories" where they are made have high set up costs
    compared to production costs, so the objective is to keep
    the machinery running 24-7. Different companies act
    differently about pricing, and some keep prices high to get
    a good per-unit profit at a lower rate of production.
    Marvin, May 26, 2007
  12. Lobster wrote:
    > I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera,
    > which I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >
    > I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at
    > is if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than
    > expensive branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?
    >
    > Or is it the case that if when tested thoroughly immediately after
    > purchase, it's more likely that a cheap card will not work, but that
    > if it *does* work OK, then it's no more likely to fail in service
    > than a branded card?
    >
    > Comments please!
    >
    > Thanks
    > David

    I bought a few cheap SD cards from eBay a couple of years ago.

    1GB it said, turns out it would only take 512MB of data before filling up.

    I must admit I only buy SD Cards from www.mymemory.co.uk now and stick to
    sandisk ultra's.

    You pay for what you get, these cards have been abused and have travelled
    the world with me without fault.

    I wouldn't buy owt else now, but its up to you on how much you want to spend

    --
    Cheerz - Brownz
    http://www.brownz.org/
    Brownz \(Mobile\), May 27, 2007
  13. Lobster

    HokusPokus Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2007 03:29:40 -0500, Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >Lobster wrote:
    >> I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera, which
    >> I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >>
    >> I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at is
    >> if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than expensive
    >> branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?
    >>
    >> Or is it the case that if when tested thoroughly immediately after
    >> purchase, it's more likely that a cheap card will not work, but that if
    >> it *does* work OK, then it's no more likely to fail in service than a
    >> branded card?
    >>
    >> Comments please!
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> David

    >Unless it has changed, there are only a few places that actually
    >manufacture flash memory chips. All the companies marketing these cards
    >buy their chips from these few places, and there is little difference
    >between the cards of similar capacity and speed. The only significant
    >difference between an expensive and cheap SD card is the capacity and
    >speed. Unless you have a top of the line DSLR or Pro-sumer type of
    >camera, you probably will get no great benefit from the faster cards, so
    >don't bother spending a lot of money on a fast card, or one from a more
    >expensive brand. And DON'T fall for buying a card from the camera
    >manufacturer as they ALWAYS are overpriced.

    I bought some el-cheapo Dane-Elec 133x 2GB cards for $19 (US), their write-speed
    is actually faster than the Transcend 150x SD and Sandisk Ultra III's SD cards.

    And yes, faster cards DO matter in most cameras. In my camera's high-speed burst
    mode it will continuously shoot full-size JPG images at 2.3 fps to the capacity
    of the card. If shooting RAW + JPG then one shot every 1.2 seconds. In slower
    cards that bogs down horrendously. For example on the Transcend 150X I can only
    do a RAW + JPG one frame every 2.4 seconds, and burst mode hits the buffer-wall
    at about 25-30 frames before it starts pausing between each shot. Only the
    Dane-Elec 133x cards can keep up at the highest transfer rates where nothing
    slows down.

    Screw brand names. Test out some of those off-brand ones like I did, you might
    be pleasantly surprised. Off-brand companies often under-price their cards just
    to get their foot in the door and offer an even better product on top of it. But
    nobody knows about them because everyone keeps yelling "Buy Sandisk! (at
    ****-you prices)

    Seems to me the only times I've ever gotten a bad deal was by listening to the
    mindless-sheep-following-clones in newsgroups that offer the same advice to
    everyone because that's all they've ever heard from others.

    Take Maha batteries for example, everyone yells "Buy Maha!", I did and ended up
    with 4 over-priced batteries that didn't charge more than 50 times before they
    went in a recycle bin.
    HokusPokus, May 27, 2007
  14. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Trev wrote:
    > "Lobster" <> wrote in message
    >> Marcus Houlden wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:14:00 GMT, Lobster

    >> Thanks for the replies.
    >>
    >> My query was brought about by seeing this promo - 6 GBP for a 1Gb SD card,
    >> which sounded a good deal:
    >> <http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_buys/productnl_224.html>
    >>
    >> However, just been on Amazon and found Kingston-branded cards on sale for
    >> a mere 1.83 GBP. Is that really right or am I missing something? I was
    >> expecting these to be about 10 GBP a go?. See:
    >>
    >> <http://tinyurl.com/2yw3k8> (or
    >> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-1GB-Digital-SD/dp/B00070QI1I/ref=sr_1_7/026-5345353-7024418?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180189086&sr=1-7>

    > But its sold from Amazon not by Amazon so postage will be at £4,99 plus per
    > item cost plus 1.83

    But as I mentioned, I'm looking to buy quite a few of these, so the 4.99
    postage per order would be irrelevant.

    > I would try the Aldi If it fails you can just pop back in the store for
    > replacement or refund

    Kingston are a reasonably respected brand though, surely (unlike Aldi's
    "Tevion" :) ). (And TBH it would be les hassle to mail any faulty item
    back to the Amazon seller for refund, rather than trogging down to Aldi
    in person!)

    David
    Lobster, May 27, 2007
  15. Lobster

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Lobster wrote:
    > Marcus Houlden wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:14:00 GMT, Lobster
    >> <>
    >> wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:
    >>
    >>> I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera,
    >>> which I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >>>
    >>> I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at
    >>> is if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than
    >>> expensive branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?

    >> At work we've had expensive Kingston USB flash drives fail pretty quickly
    >> and cheap no brand ones be pretty indestructible. I think most flash
    >> chips
    >> are made by Samsung regardless of which company's name is on the outside
    >> casing. Also worth remembering that if it *does* fail, you can use the
    >> sale
    >> & supply of goods to consumers act to get a replacement on the grounds
    >> that
    >> it's faulty.

    > Thanks for the replies.
    >
    > My query was brought about by seeing this promo - 6 GBP for a 1Gb SD
    > card, which sounded a good deal:
    > <http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_buys/productnl_224.html>
    >
    > However, just been on Amazon and found Kingston-branded cards on sale
    > for a mere 1.83 GBP. Is that really right or am I missing something? I
    > was expecting these to be about 10 GBP a go?. See:
    >
    > <http://tinyurl.com/2yw3k8> (or
    > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-1GB-Digital-SD/dp/B00070QI1I/ref=sr_1_7/026-5345353-7024418?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180189086&sr=1-7>
    >

    > Thanks
    > David

    The price for flash memory cards continues to fall at the rate of about
    4:1/year. Surely this has to level off soon, or they will be paying us
    to take them!
    Ron Hunter, May 27, 2007
  16. Lobster

    Ron Hunter Guest

    HokusPokus wrote:
> [...]

    > Dane-Elec 133x cards can keep up at the highest transfer rates where nothing
    > slows down.
    >
    > Screw brand names. Test out some of those off-brand ones like I did, you might
    > be pleasantly surprised. Off-brand companies often under-price their cards just
    > to get their foot in the door and offer an even better product on top of it. But
    > nobody knows about them because everyone keeps yelling "Buy Sandisk! (at
    > ****-you prices)
    >
    > Seems to me the only times I've ever gotten a bad deal was by listening to the
    > mindless-sheep-following-clones in newsgroups that offer the same advice to
    > everyone because that's all they've ever heard from others.
    >
    > Take Maha batteries for example, everyone yells "Buy Maha!", I did and ended up
    > with 4 over-priced batteries that didn't charge more than 50 times before they

    I like the Maha chargers, but their batteries didn't even work on the
    first charge.
    As for flash cards, I get better service from the cheap ones than the
    San-disk ones. The speed of the card only matters if your camera is fast
    enough to take advantage of the higher card speed, which most P&S
    cameras aren't.
    Ron Hunter, May 27, 2007
  17. Lobster

    Cheemag Guest

    wrote:

    >I was thinking of buying a number of cheap SD cards for my camera, which
    >I've seen on offer... is this a good idea or not?
    >
    >I appreciate that "you get what you pay for" but what I'm getting at is
    >if you buy cheapo memory is it inherently less reliable than expensive
    >branded stuff, ie, might it fail later?
    >
    >Or is it the case that if when tested thoroughly immediately after
    >purchase, it's more likely that a cheap card will not work, but that if
    >it *does* work OK, then it's no more likely to fail in service than a
    >branded card?

    The Aldi offer at £12 ?

    They're fine, the cheap price is due to the falling price
    of these cards and to bulk buying.

    --

    Cheemag.
    Cheemag, May 29, 2007
  18. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Lobster wrote:
    > Trev wrote:
    >> "Lobster" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for the replies.
    >>>
    >>> My query was brought about by seeing this promo - 6 GBP for a 1Gb SD
    >>> card, which sounded a good deal:
    >>> <http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_buys/productnl_224.html>
    >>>
    >>> However, just been on Amazon and found Kingston-branded cards on sale
    >>> for a mere 1.83 GBP. Is that really right or am I missing
    >>> something? I was expecting these to be about 10 GBP a go?. See:
    >>>
    >>> <http://tinyurl.com/2yw3k8> (or
    >>> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-1GB-Digital-SD/dp/B00070QI1I/ref=sr_1_7/026-5345353-7024418?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180189086&sr=1-7>
    >>>

    >> But its sold from Amazon not by Amazon so postage will be at £4,99
    >> plus per item cost plus 1.83

    > But as I mentioned, I'm looking to buy quite a few of these, so the 4.99
    > postage per order would be irrelevant.

    Ah, sorry see what you mean now (having tried to place an order!) - yes,
    for 10 items the cost is 18.30 plus 49.90 postage. So not such a
    brilliant deal after all...

    David
    Lobster, May 31, 2007
  19. Lobster

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 05:32:51 -0500, The paradoxical Ron Hunter
    wrote:

    > The price for flash memory cards continues to fall at the rate of about
    > 4:1/year. Surely this has to level off soon, or they will be paying us
    > to take them!

    Not a fan or student of Zeno, I take it? :)
    ASAAR, May 31, 2007
  20. Lobster

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 May 2007 05:32:51 -0500, The paradoxical Ron Hunter
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The price for flash memory cards continues to fall at the rate of about
    >> 4:1/year. Surely this has to level off soon, or they will be paying us
    >> to take them!

    > Not a fan or student of Zeno, I take it? :)

    Zeno? I guess not. I can't say I like seeing the prices fall so fast.
    Now I can buy a 2GB card for under $20. Makes me want to rush out and
    buy one, but do I REALLY need to be able to store 2800 pictures on the
    card for my 4mp camera? Nahhhh. Grin.
    Ron Hunter, May 31, 2007