    so aren't bothered about rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I
    already have a 4 port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if
    possible. Any recommendations?

    Phil, May 21, 2005

  2. Phil

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Sat, 21 May 2005, Phil writes

    >I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess from what
    >I've read that rules out Sipgate, I also need a Georaphical number 01723
    >(scarborough) if possible. All my calls will be to national landline numbers
    >so aren't bothered about rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I
    >already have a 4 port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if
    >possible. Any recommendations?

    Take a look at:
    JustDialVoIP £1.99 pm to include English Voicemail and free UK evening
    and w/end, and a geographical number of your choice of area.
    OR
    Sipgate UK which is free for the service and a crap voicemail which is
    for ever at Beta stage, no inclusive minutes, but cheap, choice of
    geographical area number
    OR
    VoIPtalk - Make your own enquiries as I don't know much about them.

    David

    David Floyd, May 21, 2005

  3. Phil

    duck Guest

    David Floyd wrote:
    > In message of Sat, 21 May 2005, Phil writes
    >

    >> I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess from
    >> what
    >> I've read that rules out Sipgate, I also need a Georaphical number 01723
    >> (scarborough) if possible. All my calls will be to national landline
    >> numbers
    >> so aren't bothered about rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I
    >> already have a 4 port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if
    >> possible. Any recommendations?
    >>

    > Take a look at:
    > JustDialVoIP £1.99 pm to include English Voicemail and free UK evening
    > and w/end, and a geographical number of your choice of area.
    > OR
    > Sipgate UK which is free for the service and a crap voicemail which is
    > for ever at Beta stage, no inclusive minutes, but cheap, choice of
    > geographical area number
    > OR
    > VoIPtalk - Make your own enquiries as I don't know much about them.
    >
    > David

    Just had a look at that, the area codes on offer by JustDialVoIP are
    quite limited.

    duck, May 21, 2005
  4. Phil

    Ivor Jones Guest

    David Floyd wrote:
    > In message of Sat, 21 May 2005, Phil writes
    >>
    >> I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess
    >> from what I've read that rules out Sipgate, I also need a
    >> Georaphical number 01723 (scarborough) if possible. All my calls
    >> will be to national landline numbers so aren't bothered about
    >> rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I already have a 4
    >> port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if possible. Any
    >> recommendations?

    Sipgate's reliability is improving, the recent outages have been down to
    PSTN gateway problems I believe rather than internal to the system.

    > Take a look at:
    > JustDialVoIP £1.99 pm to include English Voicemail and free UK
    > evening and w/end, and a geographical number of your choice of area.
    > OR
    > Sipgate UK which is free for the service and a crap voicemail which
    > is for ever at Beta stage, no inclusive minutes, but cheap, choice
    > of geographical area number

    Sipgate does have a 1000 inclusive minutes for £5.99/month option, but
    unless you're going to use that amount of time it's not worth it.

    Voicemail is being worked on at the moment and will hopefully soon be
    migrated to a dedicated server (it shares with the German system at the
    moment) which should improve things.

    Regarding phones, get a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA, this has two phone line
    ports, you can then plug whatever phone (wired or DECT) that you like in.
    Or if you want to be able to plug in to a normal BT line as well, the
    SPA-3000 will do the job.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 21, 2005
  5. Phil

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Sat, 21 May 2005, Ivor Jones writes

    >Sipgate's reliability is improving, the recent outages have been down to
    >PSTN gateway problems I believe rather than internal to the system.

    To be honest, Ivor, you've been saying that for months and it's wearing
    a bit thin now.

    >Voicemail is being worked on at the moment and will hopefully soon be
    >migrated to a dedicated server (it shares with the German system at the
    >moment) which should improve things.

    Similarly it's been over 2 months that it's been 'being worked on' -
    with no improvement. :-(

    >Regarding phones, get a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA, this has two phone line
    >ports, you can then plug whatever phone (wired or DECT) that you like in.
    >Or if you want to be able to plug in to a normal BT line as well, the
    >SPA-3000 will do the job.

    Can't fault you with those recommendations.

    David

    David Floyd, May 21, 2005
  6. Phil

    Guest

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 06:55:06 +0100, "Phil" <>
    wrote:

    >I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess from what
    >I've read that rules out Sipgate,

    A more true sentance was never written .
    > I also need a Georaphical number 01723
    >(scarborough) if possible.

    Viopfone could be your answer .

    , May 21, 2005
  7. Phil

    Guest

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 08:55:31 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:
    >Take a look at:
    >JustDialVoIP £1.99 pm to include English Voicemail and free UK evening
    >and w/end, and a geographical number of your choice of area.

    They do not have any numbers for my area code David but makes no odds
    to me I am only interested in being able to make outgoing calls I use
    my voipfhone number for incoming now that Sipgate has proved
    themselves unworthy of my custom and trust .
    >OR
    >Sipgate UK which is free for the service and a crap voicemail which is
    >for ever at Beta stage, no inclusive minutes, but cheap, choice of
    >geographical area number

    You forgot to mention that one cannot really trust the Sipgate service
    to be working these days .

    , May 21, 2005
  8. Phil

    keymaster Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 May 2005 06:55:06 +0100, "Phil" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess from what
    >>I've read that rules out Sipgate,

    > A more true sentance was never written .
    >> I also need a Georaphical number 01723
    >>(scarborough) if possible.

    > Viopfone could be your answer .

    Hi
    personally I tried sipgate and never had any success despite me having a
    Snom 190 phone.
    I use www.voipfone.co.uk and apaprt from an outrage about January been
    faultless for me
    cheers
    Roy

    keymaster, May 21, 2005
  9. Phil

    PeterW Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in

    > David Floyd wrote:
    >> In message of Sat, 21 May 2005, Phil writes
    >>>
    >>> I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess
    >>> from what I've read that rules out Sipgate, I also need a
    >>> Georaphical number 01723 (scarborough) if possible. All my calls
    >>> will be to national landline numbers so aren't bothered about
    >>> rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I already have a 4
    >>> port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if possible. Any
    >>> recommendations?

    > Sipgate's reliability is improving, the recent outages have been down
    > to PSTN gateway problems I believe rather than internal to the system.
    >
    >> Take a look at:
    >> JustDialVoIP £1.99 pm to include English Voicemail and free UK
    >> evening and w/end, and a geographical number of your choice of area.
    >> OR
    >> Sipgate UK which is free for the service and a crap voicemail which
    >> is for ever at Beta stage, no inclusive minutes, but cheap, choice
    >> of geographical area number

    > Sipgate does have a 1000 inclusive minutes for £5.99/month option, but
    > unless you're going to use that amount of time it's not worth it.
    >
    > Voicemail is being worked on at the moment and will hopefully soon be
    > migrated to a dedicated server (it shares with the German system at
    > the moment) which should improve things.
    >
    > Regarding phones, get a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA, this has two phone line
    > ports, you can then plug whatever phone (wired or DECT) that you like
    > in. Or if you want to be able to plug in to a normal BT line as well,
    > the SPA-3000 will do the job.
    >
    > Ivor

    The Sipura SPA-1001 ATA is also a nice little unit. It has two VoIP SIP
    accounts but only one phone port using the "Se" software from Sipura. You
    can set a prefix to dial out on the second line. Incoming calls on either
    line ring the phone (with call waiting). It should be cheaper than the 2000
    on eBay. Mine was about £45.

    Peter

    PeterW, May 21, 2005
  10. On Sat, 21 May 2005 06:55:06 +0100, "Phil" <>
    wrote:

    >I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess from what
    >I've read that rules out Sipgate, I also need a Georaphical number 01723
    >(scarborough) if possible. All my calls will be to national landline numbers
    >so aren't bothered about rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I
    >already have a 4 port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if
    >possible. Any recommendations?

    We offer a sipphone like service, but with more functionality,
    customer service and reliability: www.gradwell.com/voip

    We have a 3 month free trial on our single line service:

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, May 21, 2005
  11. Phil

    Ivor Jones Guest

    David Floyd wrote:
    > In message of Sat, 21 May 2005, Ivor Jones writes
    >>
    >> Sipgate's reliability is improving, the recent outages have been
    >> down to PSTN gateway problems I believe rather than internal to
    >> the system.

    > To be honest, Ivor, you've been saying that for months and it's
    > wearing a bit thin now.

    To a certain extent you're right, but the recent problems *have* been due
    to PSTN gateway issues; inter-Sipgate calls have been fine, at least they
    have here.

    >> Voicemail is being worked on at the moment and will hopefully soon
    >> be migrated to a dedicated server (it shares with the German
    >> system at the moment) which should improve things.

    > Similarly it's been over 2 months that it's been 'being worked on' -
    > with no improvement. :-(

    The problem was it got activated before it was intended, and once the
    genie was out of the bottle that was it, and it wasn't possible to just
    switch it off again. I know that the engineers didn't want to activate it
    when it was first switched on, but once it was.....

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 21, 2005
  12. Phil

    Dave Gill Guest

    PeterW <> wrote:

    > The Sipura SPA-1001 ATA is also a nice little unit. It has two VoIP SIP
    > accounts but only one phone port using the "Se" software from Sipura. You
    > can set a prefix to dial out on the second line. Incoming calls on either
    > line ring the phone (with call waiting). It should be cheaper than the 2000
    > on eBay. Mine was about £45.

    Despite it only having one phone port you can configure the two SIP
    accounts to give different rings (if your phone supports different
    cadences) so you know which number is being dialled (handy if you want
    private and business calls (or his and her calls) directed to the same
    phone.

    Dave Gill, May 21, 2005
  13. "keymaster" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > I use www.voipfone.co.uk and apaprt from an outrage about January>>

    Was it you or them that suffered from an outRage?

    The Cable Guy, May 22, 2005
  14. Peter Gradwell wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 May 2005 06:55:06 +0100, "Phil" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess from what
    > >I've read that rules out Sipgate, I also need a Georaphical number 01723
    > >(scarborough) if possible. All my calls will be to national landline numbers
    > >so aren't bothered about rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I
    > >already have a 4 port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if
    > >possible. Any recommendations?
    > >

    > We offer a sipphone like service, but with more functionality,
    > customer service and reliability: www.gradwell.com/voip
    >
    > We have a 3 month free trial on our single line service:
    >

    > cheers
    > peter
    >
    > --
    > peter gradwell. gradwell dot com Ltd. http://www.gradwell.com/
    > -- engineering & hosting services for email, web and voip --
    > -- http://www.peter.me.uk/ -- http://www.voip.org.uk/ --

    I use Voipfone too and I have never had a problem I must admit I did
    consider gradwell but your way to expensive peter

    Mat

    Mathew Curtis, May 26, 2005