    might be the better way for them to go.
    I would appreciate any imput on this.
    I was thinking celeron 300 or thereabouts.

    jfwilson, Aug 26, 2003

  2. jfwilson

    Howard Guest

    jfwilson wrote:
    > Apparently some schools are giving homework to
    > children which requires access to a computer and
    > internet. I was asked by the person who told me this
    > what was the cheapest computer they could buy that
    > would suit.
    > I told them about $200 to $300 through Trademe.
    > But then I thought that the newer motherboards
    > have integrated sound, graphics, and modem and
    > might be the better way for them to go.
    > I would appreciate any imput on this.
    > I was thinking celeron 300 or thereabouts.

    I think you'll find that $200-$250 on Trademe does indeed buy you a pc, say
    PIII 400 with with sound graphics & modem.
    Add a monitor $20? (cheap 15" ones) and you're away.

    -H

    Howard, Aug 26, 2003

  3. jfwilson

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <SbE2b.13932$>,
    says...
    > Apparently some schools are giving homework to
    > children which requires access to a computer and
    > internet. I was asked by the person who told me this
    > what was the cheapest computer they could buy that
    > would suit.
    > I told them about $200 to $300 through Trademe.
    > But then I thought that the newer motherboards
    > have integrated sound, graphics, and modem and
    > might be the better way for them to go.
    > I would appreciate any imput on this.
    > I was thinking celeron 300 or thereabouts.

    There is no practical difference between integrated graphics and graphics
    on a card etc. Highly integrated boards are more common in compact
    microATX systems.

    Mainlander, Aug 26, 2003
  4. jfwilson

    Who is this Guest

    In article <pan.2003.08.26.10.15.38.386185@127.0.0.1>,
    Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > If it's only bursts of internet access needed, then maybe cybercafs are a
    > practical option.
    >
    > I remember when cybercafes used to cost $10/hour, but nowadays I see cafs
    > with rates as low as $2.50/hr

    Yes but school should not be giving out homework that requires resources
    like computers and internet. If they do they should make their
    facilities available after hours for an hour each day for those without
    a computer etc at home.

    Who is this, Aug 26, 2003
  5. jfwilson

    Ian Boag Guest

    Try

    www.dunamys.co.nz

    Dunno how he makes a buck at it, but he's been doing it for a while
    now.

    Ian Boag, Aug 26, 2003
  6. jfwilson

    Andrew Guest

    You could try:
    http://www.nzcomputersales.co.nz/

    Andrew, Aug 26, 2003
  7. jfwilson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message

    > Try
    >
    > www.dunamys.co.nz
    >
    > Dunno how he makes a buck at it, but he's been doing it for a while
    > now.

    I was just gonna post that link Ian. Thanks, saved me a job. I agree, I
    can't see how he makes any money but for low-end systems he's unbeatable.
    Nice guy too.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 27, 2003
  8. jfwilson

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > > Dunno how he makes a buck at it, but he's been doing it for a while
    > > now.

    > I was just gonna post that link Ian. Thanks, saved me a job. I agree, I
    > can't see how he makes any money but for low-end systems he's unbeatable.
    > Nice guy too.

    Looks like ex-lease PC's, probably only pays ~$150 for them, so ~$300 for a
    PII300 isnt too bad, a couple of hours work.

    T.N.O., Aug 27, 2003
  9. jfwilson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Tutaepaki" <> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in
    >

    > > "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Try
    > >>
    > >> www.dunamys.co.nz
    > >>
    > >> Dunno how he makes a buck at it, but he's been doing it for a while
    > >> now.

    > > I was just gonna post that link Ian. Thanks, saved me a job. I agree,
    > > I can't see how he makes any money but for low-end systems he's
    > > unbeatable. Nice guy too.
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > Hmmm.....check out http://www.remarkit.co.nz

    And, on that page they're advertising an Athlon 2.5Ghz CPU for the same
    price that a XP2500+ Barton (1.8Ghz) sells for. They must have awesome
    contacts at AMD, I didn't think AMD made a 2.5Ghz CPU.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2003
  10. jfwilson

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Ian Boag" wrote
    > Bollocks. Another uniformed turkey sounding off.

    huh? sounding off? right.

    > I have been in the ex-lease PC game.

    Good for you.

    > They never have sound

    All the ones coming from my work do, onboard, it's not good, but it works.

    > , not
    > always CD-ROMs and only sometimes NiCs.

    All the ones from my work do.

    > Never modems.They come cleaned
    > off and (except for current stuff with stickers) no OS licence.

    True.

    > Graeme Torckler does a real good job at prices I don't understand.

    me either.

    T.N.O., Sep 1, 2003