    * atleast 1GB of traffic per month
    * PHP/MySQL support

    Can anyone recommend any cheap hosting company?

    Crains, Jul 23, 2007

  2. Crains

    XPD Guest

    "Crains" <> wrote in message
    news:f81t1v$6uj$...
    > Hi I'm looking for a NZ based web hosting company that can offer
    > * around 50-100MB of storage
    > * atleast 1GB of traffic per month
    > * PHP/MySQL support
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any cheap hosting company?

    Ive been using Iserve, but found http://kiwiwebhost.co.nz/index.htm who are
    owned by IServe anyway, but hell better pricing :)

    XPD, Jul 23, 2007

  3. Crains

    Rob S Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Crains" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi I'm looking for a NZ based web hosting company that can offer
    >> * around 50-100MB of storage
    >> * atleast 1GB of traffic per month
    >> * PHP/MySQL support
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend any cheap hosting company?
    >>

    > Ive been using Iserve, but found http://kiwiwebhost.co.nz/index.htm who are
    > owned by IServe anyway, but hell better pricing :)

    I'll agree with that. I have 3 sites hosted with them and always had
    quick and polite responses when I've requested any changes, new accounts
    etc.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.com

    A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a
    one-way street. - Doug Linder

    Rob S, Jul 23, 2007
  4. Crains

    Tony Guest

    http://safenz.net/web-hosting.htm no data charges, NZ based.

    Tony, Jul 23, 2007
  5. Crains

    Rob Guest

    "Crains" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I'm looking for a NZ based web hosting company that can offer
    > * around 50-100MB of storage
    > * atleast 1GB of traffic per month
    > * PHP/MySQL support
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any cheap hosting company?

    I've been using www.superhost.co.nz for about 3 years and find them really
    good.

    Rob, Jul 24, 2007
  6. Crains

    Crains Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    >> "Crains" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi I'm looking for a NZ based web hosting company that can offer
    >>> * around 50-100MB of storage
    >>> * atleast 1GB of traffic per month
    >>> * PHP/MySQL support
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone recommend any cheap hosting company?
    >>>

    >> Ive been using Iserve, but found http://kiwiwebhost.co.nz/index.htm who
    >> are owned by IServe anyway, but hell better pricing :)
    >>

    > I'll agree with that. I have 3 sites hosted with them and always had
    > quick and polite responses when I've requested any changes, new
    > accounts etc.

    Thanks, This is definitely the cheapest I've seen.

    Crains, Jul 24, 2007
  7. Crains

    John Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "Crains" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi I'm looking for a NZ based web hosting company that can offer
    >> * around 50-100MB of storage
    >> * atleast 1GB of traffic per month
    >> * PHP/MySQL support
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend any cheap hosting company?
    >>

    > Ive been using Iserve, but found http://kiwiwebhost.co.nz/index.htm who
    > are owned by IServe anyway, but hell better pricing :)

    I had problems with their server reliability when I used them, so
    moved my website to my ISP. My ISPs hosting is more reliable but a lot more
    expensive too. However I did like their control panel, but I guess you get
    what you pay for. If you check their announcements page you can see that
    some of their servers go down a lot.

    John, Jul 25, 2007
  8. On Jul 23, 9:42 pm, "Crains" <> wrote:
    > Hi I'm looking for a NZ based web hosting company that can offer
    > * around 50-100MB of storage
    > * atleast 1GB of traffic per month
    > * PHP/MySQL support
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any cheap hosting company?

    I have been using Create Site Hosting in Hamilton who I have found to
    be extremely reliable
    Their service is excellent and you can always get a prompt response
    from them which is extremely important - and often not the case with
    some of the other outfits I have dealt with

    http://www.createhosting.co.nz/

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Jul 26, 2007
  9. Crains

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Crains wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>> "Crains" <> wrote in message

    >>> Ive been using Iserve, but found http://kiwiwebhost.co.nz/index.htm
    >>> who are owned by IServe anyway, but hell better pricing :)
    >>>

    >> I'll agree with that. I have 3 sites hosted with them and always had
    >> quick and polite responses when I've requested any changes, new
    >> accounts etc.

    > Thanks, This is definitely the cheapest I've seen.

    I've used them for a number of sites for years. They have excellent
    support. I have some bigger, more important sites hosted elsewhere and have
    actually considered moving them to kiwiwebhost just because of a) the
    support and b) cpanel, which a lot of other hosts seem to have dropped in
    favour of other control panels -- I really like cpanel.

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 26, 2007
  10. Crains

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    John wrote:
    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Crains" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi I'm looking for a NZ based web hosting company that can offer
    >>> * around 50-100MB of storage
    >>> * atleast 1GB of traffic per month
    >>> * PHP/MySQL support
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone recommend any cheap hosting company?
    >>>

    >> Ive been using Iserve, but found http://kiwiwebhost.co.nz/index.htm who
    >> are owned by IServe anyway, but hell better pricing :)
    >>

    > I had problems with their server reliability when I used them, so
    > moved my website to my ISP. My ISPs hosting is more reliable but a
    > lot more expensive too. However I did like their control panel, but I
    > guess you get what you pay for. If you check their announcements
    > page you can see that some of their servers go down a lot.

    I had one site with them that was having occasional reliability issues (I
    have several sites there and the others are all fine) and they asked me if I
    wanted to move the server it was on, I did and no problems since.

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 26, 2007
  11. Crains

    neutrino Guest

    did u reply "one of the cheapest I'v seen" for superhost.co.nz?
    and it was $14 a month.
    Does it HAVE to be NZ based?
    cos there are sites out their very much cheaper than that!
    you want to get down to single figure $'s before you regard
    anything as low cost.

    www.2day.com might be worth a look at.
    but imo this is still too costly!
    take a look at www.carolhost.com & www.crystaltech.com
    if outside NZ is acceptable, and I don't see why not!?
    you can still get a .nz domain here - and host elsewhere.
    The Net knows no boundaries, and no country borders.
    well.. unless your in China perhaps.
    and besides - many NZ based hosts have their servers outside Nz anyway!

    neutrino, Jul 27, 2007
  12. Crains

    John Guest

    "neutrino" <> wrote in message
    > did u reply "one of the cheapest I'v seen" for superhost.co.nz?
    > and it was $14 a month.
    > Does it HAVE to be NZ based?
    > cos there are sites out their very much cheaper than that!
    > you want to get down to single figure $'s before you regard
    > anything as low cost.
    >
    > www.2day.com might be worth a look at.
    > but imo this is still too costly!
    > take a look at www.carolhost.com & www.crystaltech.com
    > if outside NZ is acceptable, and I don't see why not!?
    > you can still get a .nz domain here - and host elsewhere.
    > The Net knows no boundaries, and no country borders.
    > well.. unless your in China perhaps.
    > and besides - many NZ based hosts have their servers outside Nz anyway!

    Cost isn't as important and as reliability, support, as well as the speed
    that the website loads in. The cheaper places can be very unreliable and
    provide next to zero human support from my experience. If they are making
    only a few dollars per month, imagine how many websites they would have to
    host on the server before they are able to make a profit, and they are
    probably using really cheap servers.
    I will always go for a company that has been around for a number of years
    and has proven themselves. NZ servers are faster for websites being viewed
    by people in NZ, but if your website visitors are outside NZ, the USA is the
    best place to host your website, as they have better connections to the rest
    of the world than NZ has.

    John, Jul 27, 2007
  13. Crains

    John Guest

    "neutrino" <> wrote in message
    > did u reply "one of the cheapest I'v seen" for superhost.co.nz?
    > and it was $14 a month.
    > Does it HAVE to be NZ based?
    > cos there are sites out their very much cheaper than that!
    > you want to get down to single figure $'s before you regard
    > anything as low cost.
    >
    > www.2day.com might be worth a look at.
    > but imo this is still too costly!
    > take a look at www.carolhost.com & www.crystaltech.com
    > if outside NZ is acceptable, and I don't see why not!?
    > you can still get a .nz domain here - and host elsewhere.
    > The Net knows no boundaries, and no country borders.
    > well.. unless your in China perhaps.
    > and besides - many NZ based hosts have their servers outside Nz anyway!

    Had a look atthe Carol host, and their website shows that they are using
    cpanel 9. cpanel is now up to version 11, which is a worry. Either there
    website is very old, or they don't update their servers with the latest
    software.

    John, Jul 27, 2007
  14. Crains

    John Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > Crains wrote:
    >> Rob S wrote:

    >>> I'll agree with that. I have 3 sites hosted with them and always had
    >>> quick and polite responses when I've requested any changes, new
    >>> accounts etc.

    >> Thanks, This is definitely the cheapest I've seen.

    > I've used them for a number of sites for years. They have excellent
    > support. I have some bigger, more important sites hosted elsewhere and
    > have actually considered moving them to kiwiwebhost just because of a) the
    > support and b) cpanel, which a lot of other hosts seem to have dropped in
    > favour of other control panels -- I really like cpanel.

    The new cpanel 11 is really nice.

    John, Jul 27, 2007
  15. Crains

    neutrino Guest

    On Jul 27, 5:34 pm, "John" <> wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message

    > > Crains wrote:

    > >> Thanks, This is definitely the cheapest I've seen.

    > > I've used them for a number of sites for years. They have excellent
    > > support. I have some bigger, more important sites hosted elsewhere and
    > > have actually considered moving them to kiwiwebhost just because of a) the
    > > support and b) cpanel, which a lot of other hosts seem to have dropped in
    > > favour of other control panels -- I really like cpanel.

    > The new cpanel 11 is really nice.- Hide quoted text -

    well .... the Question was for "Cheap Web Hosting" ..
    I know of 3 who are hosted at carolhost - one for 3 years, two for a
    little over 2 years,
    no problems at all, and always helpful and quick support for
    assistance with any questions.
    response to access the sites, has always been quick - can't say it's
    any quicker or slower that locally hosted sites,
    that kind of depends on the web site itself .
    as for Cpanel ~ jeez I dont know~ it serves a purpose, and if their
    a bit late in upgrading
    does it really matter so long as the current one serves it's purpose
    - also have you actually
    checked to see what the Cost is of Cpanel ? ? I wouldnt blame 'em
    for holding back a while.
    tho - yeah - maybe (if) it's an update - not full product, it might be
    less expensive.

    neutrino, Jul 27, 2007
  16. Crains

    John Guest

    "neutrino" <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 27, 5:34 pm, "John" <> wrote:
    >> "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message

    >> > I've used them for a number of sites for years. They have excellent
    >> > support. I have some bigger, more important sites hosted elsewhere and
    >> > have actually considered moving them to kiwiwebhost just because of a)
    >> > the
    >> > support and b) cpanel, which a lot of other hosts seem to have dropped
    >> > in
    >> > favour of other control panels -- I really like cpanel.

    >> The new cpanel 11 is really nice.- Hide quoted text -

    > well .... the Question was for "Cheap Web Hosting" ..
    > I know of 3 who are hosted at carolhost - one for 3 years, two for a
    > little over 2 years,
    > no problems at all, and always helpful and quick support for
    > assistance with any questions.
    > response to access the sites, has always been quick - can't say it's
    > any quicker or slower that locally hosted sites,
    > that kind of depends on the web site itself .
    > as for Cpanel ~ jeez I dont know~ it serves a purpose, and if their
    > a bit late in upgrading
    > does it really matter so long as the current one serves it's purpose
    > - also have you actually
    > checked to see what the Cost is of Cpanel ? ? I wouldnt blame 'em
    > for holding back a while.
    > tho - yeah - maybe (if) it's an update - not full product, it might be
    > less expensive.

    Well I would be really worried if my website was hosted on a server where
    they didn't update their software. Out of date software is a security risk,
    and hackers can access the websites and either deface them, or upload
    malware onto the websites on the server. There have been a number of hosts
    recently, including ihug, who haven't been keeping their servers software
    upto date, and has meant that their customers lost their websites after they
    were defaced.
    The word cheap is subjective, and comes down to what someone is prepared to
    pay. Personally I am happy to pay $1 a day for good reliable hosting, and I
    still consider this cheap hosting for my businesses website.

    cpanel 11 also has some really nice new features. I guess you get what you
    pay for.

    John, Jul 27, 2007
  17. Crains

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2007-07-27, John <> wrote:

    > Had a look atthe Carol host, and their website shows that they are using
    > cpanel 9. cpanel is now up to version 11, which is a worry. Either there
    > website is very old, or they don't update their servers with the latest
    > software.

    this week he had a headache migrating a linux + apache + python + postgresql
    CMS to a server running centos 3.8

    Had to build newer postgresql (need >= 7.4, had 7.3.8) and python
    (need >= 2.4, had something earlier) without root it would have been a
    non-starter.

    that said, there's something to be said for running proven software on
    servers, I'm a fan of debian stable myself.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Jul 27, 2007
  18. In message <f8cq8v$v9s$-a-geek.org>, Jasen Betts wrote:

    > this week he had a headache migrating a linux + apache + python +
    > postgresql CMS to a server running centos 3.8
    >
    > Had to build newer postgresql (need >= 7.4, had 7.3.8) and python
    > (need >= 2.4, had something earlier) without root it would have been a
    > non-starter.

    I suppose the point about running stable, older server versions is that they
    keep doing older jobs reliably, not that they can take on newer jobs.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 28, 2007