cheap motherboard upgrade advice?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by graviton, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. graviton

    graviton Guest

    The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it has a p3
    550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very cheap upgrade based
    on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron but for the moment I will
    just take one thing at a time. As it has been almost 5 years since I did any
    hardware upgrades apart from a dvdwriter I am very out of date with computer
    hardware knowledge so would appreciate some advice from people with both
    experience and common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I bought
    my last motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
    reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things have
    changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade but do not want
    to loose the reliability that I have with my current motherboard I would
    like opinions on firstly via chipsets and secondly asrock motherboards, I am
    looking at the K7VM3 which I can buy for $60. I presume that a sempron 2200+
    cpu plus a motherboard with onboard Integrated UniChrome 3D Graphics will
    be many times faster than my p3 550MHz with agp tnt2 video card when
    rendering video, i.e compressing avi into dvd mpeg files and still
    considerably faster when playing 3d based games although game performance is
    obviously not important to me although I would not want to make a downgrade
    in that department.
    One other thing, are all sempron cpu's 64 bit and does the motherboard have
    any affect on 64 bit operation, i.e will the wrong motherboard disable 64
    bit operation.

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005

  2. graviton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    graviton wrote:
    > The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it has
    > a p3 550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very cheap
    > upgrade based on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron but for
    > the moment I will just take one thing at a time. As it has been
    > almost 5 years since I did any hardware upgrades apart from a
    > dvdwriter I am very out of date with computer hardware knowledge so
    > would appreciate some advice from people with both experience and
    > common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I bought my last
    > motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
    > reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things have
    > changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade but do
    > not want to loose the reliability that I have with my current
    > motherboard I would like opinions on firstly via chipsets and
    > secondly asrock motherboards,

    VIA chipsets suck performance-wise and Asrock are Asus boards aimed at the
    budget market with budget features and components. If you are intending this
    PC to last you another 5 years that is the wrong choice. As is the 1.5GHz,
    cheapest you can possibly get, CPU. That system will run XP about as fast as
    your P3 550 runs 98.

    > I am looking at the K7VM3 which I can
    > buy for $60.

    You get what you pay for. If I was buying Socket A now I'd be buying nForce2
    Ultra 400 chipset from one of the more well-known brands. I have Soltek in
    two PCs and they're great. These boards might cost you twice as much as that
    Asrock <barf> but they're still cheap as chips compared with what they cost
    a couple years ago.

    Soltek made a nice nForce2 mobo with integrated GeForce 4 MX 440 graphics.
    Not state-of-the-art, even then, but far, far better than UniChrome 3D. That
    is about as budget as you can get. Made by S3 in conjunction with VIA.

    If you gave me that Asrock board I'd pull the heatsink off the northbridge
    and put it in my 'bits' drawer and throw the rest in the rubbish. Or sell it
    on Trademe. <g>

    > I presume that a sempron 2200+ cpu plus a motherboard
    > with onboard Integrated UniChrome 3D Graphics will be many times
    > faster than my p3 550MHz with agp tnt2 video card when rendering
    > video, i.e compressing avi into dvd mpeg files

    Yes. Maybe not "many times", maybe twice as fast, maybe a little more.

    > and still considerably
    > faster when playing 3d based games

    I doubt it.

    > although game performance is
    > obviously not important to me although I would not want to make a
    > downgrade in that department.

    Well, I think you might be.

    However at least it has an AGP 4x slot (Isn't that, like, two or three years
    ago?) so you can add a card in. However, even a budget card is going to cost
    more than the mobo.

    > One other thing, are all sempron cpu's 64 bit

    No, only the fastest one was 64 bit last I heard. The rest are just re-named
    Socket A Athlon XPs. AMD didn't want the Athlon name associated with slower
    chips (but were still selling lots of them) so came up with 'Sempron'. Then
    it made one of them 64bit to give the name cred. The Sempron 2200+ CPU is
    basically an Athlon XP1700+ (Soooo 2001) running on a faster FSB.

    > and does the
    > motherboard have any affect on 64 bit operation, i.e will the wrong
    > motherboard disable 64 bit operation.

    Well, AMD 64 bit CPUs will only fit in mobos designed for them. So your
    question is moot.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 11, 2005

  3. graviton

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:57:46 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    wrote:

    >The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it has a p3
    >550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very cheap upgrade based
    >on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron but for the moment I will
    >just take one thing at a time. As it has been almost 5 years since I did any
    >hardware upgrades apart from a dvdwriter I am very out of date with computer
    >hardware knowledge so would appreciate some advice from people with both
    >experience and common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I bought
    >my last motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
    >reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things have
    >changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade but do not want
    >to loose the reliability that I have with my current motherboard I would
    >like opinions on firstly via chipsets and secondly asrock motherboards, I am
    >looking at the K7VM3 which I can buy for $60. I presume that a sempron 2200+
    >cpu plus a motherboard with onboard Integrated UniChrome 3D Graphics will
    >be many times faster than my p3 550MHz with agp tnt2 video card when
    >rendering video, i.e compressing avi into dvd mpeg files and still
    >considerably faster when playing 3d based games although game performance is
    >obviously not important to me although I would not want to make a downgrade
    >in that department.
    >One other thing, are all sempron cpu's 64 bit and does the motherboard have
    >any affect on 64 bit operation, i.e will the wrong motherboard disable 64
    >bit operation.

    I am sure that the UniChrome graphics has built-in DVD decoding. I
    don't think they will affect video rendering speed.

    That K7MV3 mobo is Socket A which takes a range of 32bit AMD CPUs:
    http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/show.asp?Model=K7VM3

    The Sempron 2200+ only runs at 1500MHz, which is quite slow these
    days. For video rendering it pays to get the fastest possible. Try
    for a 2800+ which runs at 2000MHz.

    It has an AGP slot but it is only 4x AGP, if you wanted to upgrade the
    graphics later. You would also have to get new RAM such as 512Mb
    Adata PC3200 DDR400, $75 from TasTech. Also a new hard drive which
    will be much faster on the new onboard HDD controller. A 300W PSU
    (get a good one, not a generic) would be plenty.

    AsRock mobos are stable. I have a K7VT2 running an XP2400+ which I am
    pleased with.

    GraB, Dec 11, 2005
  4. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:57:46 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it has a

    p3
    > >550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very cheap upgrade

    based
    > >on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron but for the moment I will
    > >just take one thing at a time. As it has been almost 5 years since I did

    any
    > >hardware upgrades apart from a dvdwriter I am very out of date with

    computer
    > >hardware knowledge so would appreciate some advice from people with both
    > >experience and common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I

    bought
    > >my last motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
    > >reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things have
    > >changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade but do not

    want
    > >to loose the reliability that I have with my current motherboard I would
    > >like opinions on firstly via chipsets and secondly asrock motherboards, I

    am
    > >looking at the K7VM3 which I can buy for $60. I presume that a sempron

    2200+
    > >cpu plus a motherboard with onboard Integrated UniChrome 3D Graphics

    will
    > >be many times faster than my p3 550MHz with agp tnt2 video card when
    > >rendering video, i.e compressing avi into dvd mpeg files and still
    > >considerably faster when playing 3d based games although game performance

    is
    > >obviously not important to me although I would not want to make a

    downgrade
    > >in that department.
    > >One other thing, are all sempron cpu's 64 bit and does the motherboard

    have
    > >any affect on 64 bit operation, i.e will the wrong motherboard disable 64
    > >bit operation.
    > >

    > I am sure that the UniChrome graphics has built-in DVD decoding. I
    > don't think they will affect video rendering speed.
    >
    > That K7MV3 mobo is Socket A which takes a range of 32bit AMD CPUs:
    > http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/show.asp?Model=K7VM3
    >
    > The Sempron 2200+ only runs at 1500MHz, which is quite slow these
    > days. For video rendering it pays to get the fastest possible. Try
    > for a 2800+ which runs at 2000MHz.
    >
    > It has an AGP slot but it is only 4x AGP, if you wanted to upgrade the
    > graphics later. You would also have to get new RAM such as 512Mb
    > Adata PC3200 DDR400, $75 from TasTech. Also a new hard drive which
    > will be much faster on the new onboard HDD controller. A 300W PSU
    > (get a good one, not a generic) would be plenty.
    >
    > AsRock mobos are stable. I have a K7VT2 running an XP2400+ which I am
    > pleased with.

    Thanks for that, I might try for a little faster cpu if it is just a few
    more dollars but like I said budget is the main concern this time around so
    as long as a sempron 2200+ is a lot faster than my p3 550 then I will be
    happy. A little while back I seen some video rendering benchmarks, i think
    it was on toms hardware site that showed all cpu's going back to cpu's even
    older than mine and I think the semprons were many times faster at this task
    but I am not sure and for the life of me I cannot find that page again, same
    old story when you are not looking you find stuff easy but when you really
    need to find stuff you don't have much luck. So if anybody knows of a
    webpage that shows video rendering speeds for my current cpu as well as the
    new one i am considering that would be extremely useful to me.

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005
  5. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > graviton wrote:
    > > The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it has
    > > a p3 550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very cheap
    > > upgrade based on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron but for
    > > the moment I will just take one thing at a time. As it has been
    > > almost 5 years since I did any hardware upgrades apart from a
    > > dvdwriter I am very out of date with computer hardware knowledge so
    > > would appreciate some advice from people with both experience and
    > > common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I bought my last
    > > motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
    > > reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things have
    > > changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade but do
    > > not want to loose the reliability that I have with my current
    > > motherboard I would like opinions on firstly via chipsets and
    > > secondly asrock motherboards,

    .. As is the 1.5GHz,
    > cheapest you can possibly get, CPU. That system will run XP about as fast

    as
    > your P3 550 runs 98.

    Surely not? Do I understand correctly, are you saying just the os won't run
    any faster but applications will?

    > > I am looking at the K7VM3 which I can
    > > buy for $60.

    > > I presume that a sempron 2200+ cpu plus a motherboard
    > > with onboard Integrated UniChrome 3D Graphics will be many times
    > > faster than my p3 550MHz with agp tnt2 video card when rendering
    > > video, i.e compressing avi into dvd mpeg files

    > Yes. Maybe not "many times", maybe twice as fast, maybe a little more.

    > > and still considerably
    > > faster when playing 3d based games

    > I doubt it.
    >
    > > although game performance is
    > > obviously not important to me although I would not want to make a
    > > downgrade in that department.

    > Well, I think you might be.
    >
    > However at least it has an AGP 4x slot (Isn't that, like, two or three

    years
    > ago?) so you can add a card in. However, even a budget card is going to

    cost
    > more than the mobo.

    Well I can always use my current tnt2 card if the onboard graphics slows the
    performace of 3d games down to less than my P3.

    > > One other thing, are all sempron cpu's 64 bit

    > No, only the fastest one was 64 bit last I heard. The rest are just

    re-named
    > Socket A Athlon XPs. AMD didn't want the Athlon name associated with

    slower
    > chips (but were still selling lots of them) so came up with 'Sempron'.

    Then
    > it made one of them 64bit to give the name cred. The Sempron 2200+ CPU is
    > basically an Athlon XP1700+ (Soooo 2001) running on a faster FSB.

    Thanks.

    > > and does the
    > > motherboard have any affect on 64 bit operation, i.e will the wrong
    > > motherboard disable 64 bit operation.

    > Well, AMD 64 bit CPUs will only fit in mobos designed for them. So your
    > question is moot.
    > --

    So your saying they won't fit in motherboards designed for the socket A
    athlon xp cpu's and non 64 bit semprons?

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005
  6. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "graviton" <graviton@gravity> wrote in message news:...

> [...]

    so
    > as long as a sempron 2200+ is a lot faster than my p3 550 then I will be
    > happy. A little while back I seen some video rendering benchmarks, i think
    > it was on toms hardware site that showed all cpu's going back to cpu's

    even
    > older than mine and I think the semprons were many times faster at this

    task
    > but I am not sure and for the life of me I cannot find that page again,

    same
    > old story when you are not looking you find stuff easy but when you really
    > need to find stuff you don't have much luck. So if anybody knows of a
    > webpage that shows video rendering speeds for my current cpu as well as

    the
    > new one i am considering that would be extremely useful to me.

    A 2600+ is probably the fastest sempron I will buy, I presume this is as
    fast as the athlonxp+ 2600, or is it better?

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005
  7. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > graviton wrote:
    > > The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it has
    > > a p3 550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very cheap
    > > upgrade based on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron but for
    > > the moment I will just take one thing at a time. As it has been
    > > almost 5 years since I did any hardware upgrades apart from a
    > > dvdwriter I am very out of date with computer hardware knowledge so
    > > would appreciate some advice from people with both experience and
    > > common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I bought my last
    > > motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
    > > reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things have
    > > changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade but do
    > > not want to loose the reliability that I have with my current
    > > motherboard I would like opinions on firstly via chipsets and
    > > secondly asrock motherboards,

    > If you gave me that Asrock board I'd pull the heatsink off the northbridge
    > and put it in my 'bits' drawer and throw the rest in the rubbish. Or sell

    it
    > on Trademe. <g>

    Yeah but if you only had the choice between my current cpu and motherboard
    and the asrock and sempron cpu what would you do then?

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005
  8. graviton

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:21:38 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    wrote:

    <Snip>

    >A 2600+ is probably the fastest sempron I will buy, I presume this is as
    >fast as the athlonxp+ 2600, or is it better?

    No .

    Sempron:

    SDA2600DUT3D 2600+ 1833 11x 333MHz Socket-A
    256KB

    Athlon Model 10 Barton:

    AXDL2600DLV4D 2600+ 1917MHz 11.5x 333MHz Socket-A
    512KB

    Athlon Model 8 Thoroughbred:

    AXDA2600DKV3C 2600+ 2133MHz 16x 333MHz Socket-A
    256KB

    Bret, Dec 11, 2005
  9. graviton

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:28:02 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:21:38 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    >wrote:
    >
    ><Snip>
    >
    >>A 2600+ is probably the fastest sempron I will buy, I presume this is as
    >>fast as the athlonxp+ 2600, or is it better?

    >No .
    >
    >Sempron:
    >
    >SDA2600DUT3D 2600+ 1833 11x 333MHz Socket-A
    >256KB
    >
    >Athlon Model 10 Barton:
    >
    >AXDL2600DLV4D 2600+ 1917MHz 11.5x 333MHz Socket-A
    >512KB
    >
    >Athlon Model 8 Thoroughbred:
    >
    >AXDA2600DKV3C 2600+ 2133MHz 16x 333MHz Socket-A
    >256KB

    BTW you might want this link.

    http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html

    Bret, Dec 11, 2005
  10. graviton

    Mercury Guest

    misfit took words out of my mouth in his first post....

    The facts are that the BX chipset motherboards were not budget - Asus BX
    chipset boards are still famed for their reliability and performance.
    Putting this into perspective, you indicated you purchased the board around
    5 years ago, so that was at or after the end of its manufacturing life (IE
    price likely had dropped) when it had been superceeded by more often
    inferior quality & performance systems. Ecccch P4 first models :(

    To imitate that quality of purchase would require looking for a comparable
    quality board that is at end of manfacture or near to about now.

    There is one coming up: the current 939 pin AMD boards are going to be
    superceeded in Jan / Feb with new M2 socket boards, so for what may be a
    strategic purchase in say Feb / March I would aim for a non SLI (lower cost)
    939 pin board from Asus, MSI, or DFI - Asus gets very good reviews for
    reliability, the other two for performance. I would head for an Asus A8N-E
    which are currently < $200 or so incl GST - they should start appearing 2nd
    hand or price dropped new for $100. There will be a lot of people with AMD
    3500+ chips waiting for the FX and X2 chips to drop when M2 comes out for a
    low cost perf upgrade, so the 'slower' 3500+'s will appear for resale and
    will also have a lowered new price.

    The only issue with the Norce4 chipset boards mentioned is that they require
    a PCIe graphics card, so to reuse a good AGP card one could look at the A8V
    family (Via chipset) which go well (K8T800 is good as they support X2, the
    K8T890? does not so avoid if ever you want to upgrade the system). Again,
    DFI and MSI make corresponding good boards.

    The NVidia Nforce4 chipset has Active Armour which has never worked - just
    know that and know to turn it off. "Everyone" knows that and is perplexed as
    to why it does not work...

    Don't forget to budget in the resale of your trusty BX system - you may get
    more for it than you think!

    An A8N-E (or equiv) with a 3500+ venice core will thrash the pants off what
    you have and what you are considering. Ditto A8V.

    So, consider this and hold off - you will only ever get more for less :)

    HTH

    Mercury, Dec 11, 2005
  11. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in message

    > So, consider this and hold off - you will only ever get more for less :)

    Holding off is a never ending thing though, there is always something better
    and cheaper later, although there certainly are times that are more optimun
    than others which I presume is what you mean.

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005
  12. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in message
    > misfit took words out of my mouth in his first post....
    >
    > The facts are that the BX chipset motherboards were not budget - Asus BX
    > chipset boards are still famed for their reliability and performance.
    > Putting this into perspective, you indicated you purchased the board

    around
    > 5 years ago, so that was at or after the end of its manufacturing life (IE
    > price likely had dropped) when it had been superceeded by more often
    > inferior quality & performance systems. Ecccch P4 first models :(

    Thanks, but the problem is that both you and misfit are talking your own
    philosophises rather than giving me answers in the context of my philosophy,
    I totally understand and agree with your philosophy and that has been my
    approach in the past but like I said this time around bottom dollar is
    number one priority, i realise I don't get the best value but that is the
    choice I have made.

    > An A8N-E (or equiv) with a 3500+ venice core will thrash the pants off

    what
    > you have and what you are considering. Ditto A8V.

    But will the setup I suggest be a lot better than my current one, that was
    my question, once again i know I can do better with more dollars but that
    was not my question.

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005
  13. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in message
    > misfit took words out of my mouth in his first post....
    >
    > The facts are that the BX chipset motherboards were not budget - Asus BX
    > chipset boards are still famed for their reliability and performance.
    > Putting this into perspective, you indicated you purchased the board

    around
    > 5 years ago, so that was at or after the end of its manufacturing life (IE
    > price likely had dropped) when it had been superceeded by more often
    > inferior quality & performance systems. Ecccch P4 first models :(
    >
    > To imitate that quality of purchase would require looking for a comparable
    > quality board that is at end of manfacture or near to about now.

    So are you saying a board like i suggested will not compare in terms of
    stability and reliability to my current board or are you once again
    referring to performance?

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005
  14. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in message

    > Don't forget to budget in the resale of your trusty BX system - you may

    get
    > more for it than you think!

    From what i have seen on trademe the replaced parts would not be worth
    selling except for the memory.

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005
  15. graviton

    Mercury Guest

    > "Mercury" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> So, consider this and hold off - you will only ever get more for less :)

    > Holding off is a never ending thing though, there is always something
    > better
    > and cheaper later, although there certainly are times that are more
    > optimun
    > than others which I presume is what you mean.

    Exactly. A "Strategic purchase". It may not turn out that way, but I suspect
    it will as AMD chips are most popular with gamers, enthusiasts, geeks like
    me :) and a nice new system with hot performance invariably leads to people
    flogging off their "old".

    You obviously have a lot of patience anyway to hold onto the BX. I still
    have a BX based server (Asus P2B-DS) from 1998 with dual P2 400's running 24
    x 7 with relibability, so why should I change?

    Mercury, Dec 11, 2005
  16. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in message

    > "graviton" <graviton@gravity> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mercury" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> So, consider this and hold off - you will only ever get more for less

    :)

    > > Holding off is a never ending thing though, there is always something
    > > better
    > > and cheaper later, although there certainly are times that are more
    > > optimun
    > > than others which I presume is what you mean.

    > Exactly. A "Strategic purchase". It may not turn out that way, but I

    suspect
    > it will as AMD chips are most popular with gamers, enthusiasts, geeks like
    > me :) and a nice new system with hot performance invariably leads to

    people
    > flogging off their "old".
    >
    > You obviously have a lot of patience anyway to hold onto the BX. I still
    > have a BX based server (Asus P2B-DS) from 1998 with dual P2 400's running

    24
    > x 7 with relibability, so why should I change?

    It's more that i have not needed anything faster until now, now that I am
    making dvd's from home movies shot on a digital hi8 camera(not the new ones
    that compress the video to dvd format on the fly) I would prefer some more
    speed.

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005
  17. graviton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    graviton wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> graviton wrote:
    >>> The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it
    >>> has a p3 550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very
    >>> cheap upgrade based on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron
    >>> but for the moment I will just take one thing at a time. As it has
    >>> been almost 5 years since I did any hardware upgrades apart from a
    >>> dvdwriter I am very out of date with computer hardware knowledge so
    >>> would appreciate some advice from people with both experience and
    >>> common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I bought my last
    >>> motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
    >>> reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things
    >>> have changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade
    >>> but do not want to loose the reliability that I have with my current
    >>> motherboard I would like opinions on firstly via chipsets and
    >>> secondly asrock motherboards,

    >> If you gave me that Asrock board I'd pull the heatsink off the
    >> northbridge and put it in my 'bits' drawer and throw the rest in the
    >> rubbish. Or sell it on Trademe. <g>

    > Yeah but if you only had the choice between my current cpu and
    > motherboard and the asrock and sempron cpu what would you do then?

    Actually, if that were the only choice..... It would depend on how long I
    wanted it to last. Your current system has lasted 5 years, and will probably
    last another 5. (With electronics, if they don't fail early, and you don't
    let them get hot/dirty, then they run 'for ever'). Hard to know with the
    Asrock. Also, would depend on whether the P3 is a Katmai or a Coppermine.
    :)

    I really like the BX440 chipset and don't like VIA. Put it this way... I
    have three Tualatin Celerons, all over 1Ghz. I have two BX boards and have
    bought adapters to run two of the Tuis in them. The third Tui is sitting on
    the shelf, in a VIA board, gathering dust. I am, however, running a
    Coppermine 900 (128k L2) in a BX board that I can't run the other Tui in, in
    preference to a 1.2 GHz Tui (256k L2) running on a VIA chipset.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 11, 2005
  18. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > graviton wrote:
    > > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    > >> If you gave me that Asrock board I'd pull the heatsink off the
    > >> northbridge and put it in my 'bits' drawer and throw the rest in the
    > >> rubbish. Or sell it on Trademe. <g>

    > > Yeah but if you only had the choice between my current cpu and
    > > motherboard and the asrock and sempron cpu what would you do then?

    > Actually, if that were the only choice..... It would depend on how long I
    > wanted it to last. Your current system has lasted 5 years, and will

    probably
    > last another 5. (With electronics, if they don't fail early, and you don't
    > let them get hot/dirty, then they run 'for ever'). Hard to know with the
    > Asrock. Also, would depend on whether the P3 is a Katmai or a Coppermine.
    > :)

    Will it's been a while since i have thought about it, but it is not a
    coppermine and it is a slot 1 550MHz.

    > I really like the BX440 chipset and don't like VIA. Put it this way... I
    > have three Tualatin Celerons, all over 1Ghz. I have two BX boards and have
    > bought adapters to run two of the Tuis in them. The third Tui is sitting

    on
    > the shelf, in a VIA board, gathering dust. I am, however, running a
    > Coppermine 900 (128k L2) in a BX board that I can't run the other Tui in,

    in
    > preference to a 1.2 GHz Tui (256k L2) running on a VIA chipset.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Are your bx boards slot1?

    graviton, Dec 11, 2005
  19. graviton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    graviton wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> graviton wrote:
    >>> The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it
    >>> has a p3 550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very
    >>> cheap upgrade based on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron
    >>> but for the moment I will just take one thing at a time. As it has
    >>> been almost 5 years since I did any hardware upgrades apart from a
    >>> dvdwriter I am very out of date with computer hardware knowledge so
    >>> would appreciate some advice from people with both experience and
    >>> common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I bought my last
    >>> motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
    >>> reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things
    >>> have changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade
    >>> but do not want to loose the reliability that I have with my current
    >>> motherboard I would like opinions on firstly via chipsets and
    >>> secondly asrock motherboards,

    > . As is the 1.5GHz,
    >> cheapest you can possibly get, CPU. That system will run XP about as
    >> fast as your P3 550 runs 98.
    >>

    > Surely not? Do I understand correctly, are you saying just the os
    > won't run any faster but applications will?

    No, applications will be slow as well. That is, if you intend to change from
    98 to XP. If you're going to run the same OS on both machines then the
    Sempron will be noticably faster.

    >> No, only the fastest one was 64 bit last I heard. The rest are just
    >> re-named Socket A Athlon XPs. AMD didn't want the Athlon name
    >> associated with slower chips (but were still selling lots of them)
    >> so came up with 'Sempron'. Then it made one of them 64bit to give
    >> the name cred. The Sempron 2200+ CPU is basically an Athlon XP1700+
    >> (Soooo 2001) running on a faster FSB.
    >>

    > Thanks.

    No problem. Most of the Sempron Range is basically just the old Athlon 32
    bit Socket A CPUs renamed (about 25% higher rating to compare with Celerons)
    and running on a faster FSB

    >> Well, AMD 64 bit CPUs will only fit in mobos designed for them. So
    >> your question is moot.
    >> --

    > So your saying they won't fit in motherboards designed for the socket
    > A athlon xp cpu's and non 64 bit semprons?

    That is exactly what I'm saying. It's a completely different socket, chipset
    and architecture. Just the one Sempron is actually 64 bit (unless my info is
    out of date, I haven't checked), a cut down version of a slow Athlon 64,
    and, like I said, I believe AMD only did that to give the range some "street
    cred". Otherwise they're just re-named and re-rated Athlon XPs. (using the
    Thornton core).

    IMO you'd be better off trying to find someone who has/is upgrading their
    Barton/nForce2 system and buying that off them than buying what amounts to
    pretty much the slowest new system on the planet. A Barton/nF2 system would
    be lots faster than your proposed Sempron/VIA purchase and there are a lot
    of people who must upgrade at least once a year who will have a Barton/nF2
    assembly they are getting rid of in favour of an Athlon 64. Might even
    include RAM. Try a post in nz.wanted (and/or here), you might be pleasantly
    surprised.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 11, 2005
  20. graviton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:21:38 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
    > wrote:
    >
    > <Snip>
    >
    >> A 2600+ is probably the fastest sempron I will buy, I presume this
    >> is as fast as the athlonxp+ 2600, or is it better?

    > No .
    >
    > Sempron:
    >
    > SDA2600DUT3D 2600+ 1833 11x 333MHz Socket-A
    > 256KB
    >
    > Athlon Model 10 Barton:
    >
    > AXDL2600DLV4D 2600+ 1917MHz 11.5x 333MHz Socket-A
    > 512KB
    >
    > Athlon Model 8 Thoroughbred:
    >
    > AXDA2600DKV3C 2600+ 2133MHz 16x 333MHz Socket-A
    > 256KB

    Sempron 2600+ runs at (almost exactly) the same speed as an Athlon XP2200+.
    Just a faster FSB.

    As for the S 2600+ and the A 2600+, same FSB, both A's running faster with
    the Barton version of the A having twice the L2 as the S. That L2 makes a
    big difference.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 11, 2005