Cheap Microsoft software for Students but not for OAP..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. Come on Microsoft this is not fair and discriminating..
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Feb 1, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    Keith Guest

    In article <>, BIG Bear
    @bearcat.com.au says...
    >
    >
    >
    > Come on Microsoft this is not fair and discriminating..


    Since when has that stopped M$?

    The student discount is to hook the student into a lifetime of paying the
    full price of M$ software. It's not because students are broke.
    Keith, Feb 1, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    Mercury Guest

    Ok, so what would you say if MS gave it away for nought?
    Commerce pays for student s/w? Nope.
    MS predatory pricing? Yes
    Dumping? Maybe.

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <>, BIG Bear
    > @bearcat.com.au says...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Come on Microsoft this is not fair and discriminating..

    >
    > Since when has that stopped M$?
    >
    > The student discount is to hook the student into a lifetime of paying the
    > full price of M$ software. It's not because students are broke.
    Mercury, Feb 1, 2005
    #3
  4. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    SchoolTech Guest

    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:
    >
    >
    > Come on Microsoft this is not fair and discriminating..
    >
    >


    There is nothing to stop an old age pensioner from making money.
    Whereas educational users don't usually do any such thing.
    SchoolTech, Feb 1, 2005
    #4
  5. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    froggy Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:56:58 +1300, Mercury wrote:

    > Ok, so what would you say if MS gave it away for nought?
    > Commerce pays for student s/w? Nope.
    > MS predatory pricing? Yes
    > Dumping? Maybe.
    >
    > "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> In article <>, BIG Bear
    >> @bearcat.com.au says...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Come on Microsoft this is not fair and discriminating..

    >>
    >> Since when has that stopped M$?
    >>
    >> The student discount is to hook the student into a lifetime of paying the
    >> full price of M$ software. It's not because students are broke.


    students get a lot of discounts and incentives
    partly because they have no earning power.. and partly because they
    (assuming they pass their course) will become higher earners (thats the
    theory anyways)
    IIRC ( and I may be wrong ) this educational license for Microsoft s/w was
    in response to apples school program, the idea for apple was... get
    students used to apples.. and when they leave school they will buy apples
    (or macs or ipods or w/e the flavour of the month is)
    froggy, Feb 1, 2005
    #5
  6. BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:
    > Come on Microsoft this is not fair and discriminating..


    so is cheaper insurance for chicks... and... and... and...

    it doesnt matter, no-one really cares.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 1, 2005
    #6
  7. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    E. Guest

    Keith wrote:

    > In article <>, BIG Bear
    > @bearcat.com.au says...
    >
    >>
    >>
    >>Come on Microsoft this is not fair and discriminating..

    >
    >
    > Since when has that stopped M$?
    >
    > The student discount is to hook the student into a lifetime of paying the
    > full price of M$ software. It's not because students are broke.


    Couldn't Cisco be accused of similar with it having CCNA taught in
    secondary schools thru its network acadamy programs?
    E.
    E., Feb 1, 2005
    #7
  8. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    Adder Guest

    In article <ctom4r$7lk$> in nz.comp on Tue, 01 Feb 2005
    20:43:23 GMT, Matthew Poole <> says...
    > In article <>, "E." <> wrote:
    > >Keith wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    > >> The student discount is to hook the student into a lifetime of paying the
    > >> full price of M$ software. It's not because students are broke.

    > >
    > >Couldn't Cisco be accused of similar with it having CCNA taught in
    > >secondary schools thru its network acadamy programs?

    >
    > Probably. However, much of what is taught in CCNA is foundation stuff
    > that's easily transported. You learn subnetting, terminology, and
    > various other non-Cisco-specific things. It's an entry-level networking
    > course, it just happens to use Cisco equipment so you can learn how to
    > do it.
    > When you learn MS software, how much of it can you take and use with
    > another product? The basics are the basics, but you generally already
    > know how to use a mouse and keyboard before you start.


    yes if you know how to use word excel or even acces the skils can easily
    be taken to one of the few competing ;products wich are generaly inferor
    and have tiny market share
    Adder, Feb 1, 2005
    #8
  9. In article <>, "E." <> wrote:
    >Keith wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >> The student discount is to hook the student into a lifetime of paying the
    >> full price of M$ software. It's not because students are broke.

    >
    >Couldn't Cisco be accused of similar with it having CCNA taught in
    >secondary schools thru its network acadamy programs?


    Probably. However, much of what is taught in CCNA is foundation stuff
    that's easily transported. You learn subnetting, terminology, and
    various other non-Cisco-specific things. It's an entry-level networking
    course, it just happens to use Cisco equipment so you can learn how to
    do it.
    When you learn MS software, how much of it can you take and use with
    another product? The basics are the basics, but you generally already
    know how to use a mouse and keyboard before you start.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    I came, I saw, I stuck around"

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Feb 1, 2005
    #9
  10. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    steven Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:11:21 +1300, BIG Bear wrote:

    > Come on Microsoft this is not fair and discriminating..


    rofl, you mean you are a student and you have to _PAY_ for microsoft
    software.

    if you attend any halfway decent higher education provider they will shell
    out the coin needed to buy into the MSDNAA programme. it costs buggar all
    and at last count people in the BIT degree at otago polytech munched
    through several hundred thousand dollars worth of software - thats in a
    year.

    installing msdnaa licenced software valid for as long as your a student, it
    doesnt mean you have to delete everything when you leave, just means you
    cant install anything new.


    --
    -------------------------------------
    Steven H (.net geek)
    Third Year, B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic
    steven, Feb 1, 2005
    #10
  11. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    thing Guest

    froggy wrote:

    8><---
    >
    >
    > students get a lot of discounts and incentives
    > partly because they have no earning power.. and partly because they
    > (assuming they pass their course) will become higher earners (thats the
    > theory anyways)
    > IIRC ( and I may be wrong ) this educational license for Microsoft s/w was
    > in response to apples school program, the idea for apple was... get
    > students used to apples.. and when they leave school they will buy apples
    > (or macs or ipods or w/e the flavour of the month is)
    >


    More like they will be familiar with MS/Apple software so demand it from
    employers.....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Feb 2, 2005
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Daniel

    50% discount for students taking microsoft certification

    Daniel, Aug 24, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    717
    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbQ==?=
    Aug 26, 2004
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    696
  3. Squirrel

    OAP Puter

    Squirrel, Nov 10, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    39
    Views:
    1,169
    Rob J
    Nov 14, 2005
  4. W
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    480
    Whiskers
    Feb 17, 2008
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    865
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page