    Does anyone have a link that describes how to setup a cheap light box to
    minimize shadows on objects?

    Thanks.

    systmster, Mar 13, 2006

  2. systmster

    tomm42 Guest

    systmster wrote:
    > *** Also posted in comp.graphics.photoshop and alt.graphics.photoshop
    > Sorry for the cross post, I hit send and forgot this newsgroup
    >
    > I am looking to get some lights for doing some close up (macro pics),
    > nothing extreme just close ups of small objects. Are there some cheap
    > lights that I can purchase that are pure white or closer to white then
    > standard light bulbs...
    >
    > What about the light bulbs called "Pure White" has anyone tried those?
    >
    > Does anyone have a link that describes how to setup a cheap light box to
    > minimize shadows on objects?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Nice thing about digital cameras is that white balance is flexible. You
    can get by with shop lights that you buy at a hardware store, either
    the fluorescent or the move convenient tungsten ones on a stand.
    Neither has a calibrated color temp so you may have to fiddle a little
    to get colors just right. Studio strobe are the best light sources to
    work with, followed by hot lights, Lowell, Mole-Richaredson, Pepper, or
    Smith-Victor. All of this costs $ but make life much easier.
    For a diffuser, buy a roll of Rosco ripstop FIREPROOF Nylon. Costs
    about $50 but is well worth the costs especially if you are working
    with tungsten lighting which gets very hot. Any good camera store can
    get it for you, don't know if Rosco sells direct.
    This whole setup shouldn't cost more than $100 total. If you need
    framework for your tent use white wire coat hangers.

    Tom

    tomm42, Mar 13, 2006

  3. systmster

    systmster Guest

    tomm42 wrote:

    > This whole setup shouldn't cost more than $100 total. If you need
    > framework for your tent use white wire coat hangers.
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks for the reply!

    systmster, Mar 13, 2006
  4. systmster wrote:

    > *** Also posted in comp.graphics.photoshop and alt.graphics.photoshop
    > Sorry for the cross post, I hit send and forgot this newsgroup

    This isn't a cross post; it's a multi-post. The thread has already begun
    in c.g.a.photoshop. Very good reply by Hunt.One also doesn't need to
    send a thankyou note in usenet, no matter what your Mum told you.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Mar 13, 2006
  5. You can do it cheaper. Before I got strobes and a shooting box I used a
    couple battery powered slave flashes....useful lots of places....and a
    frosted shower curtain from the local dollar store. It worked well.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Mar 13, 2006
  6. systmster

    Jem Raid Guest

    Make a small tent of net curtain material and shine a couple of tungsten
    reflector spotlights onto it, the net diffuses the light very well indeed
    and you can adjust it very easily, into layers or folds.

    Jem

    -------------------------------------
    Birmingham Independent Photographers
    http://bip.wikispaces.com/

    Jem Raid, Mar 13, 2006
  7. In article <HHjRf.1201$Vb.491@trndny01>, Gene Palmiter
    <> wrote:

    > I used a
    > couple battery powered slave flashes....useful lots of places

    I still use a battery-powered slave flash. Much better than a single
    on-camera flash in almost all situations. The problem is having a slave
    to hold it where you need it. :->

    Phil Stripling, Mar 13, 2006
  8. systmster

    Guest

    systmster wrote:

    > I am looking to get some lights for doing some close up (macro pics),
    > nothing extreme just close ups of small objects. Are there some cheap
    > lights that I can purchase that are pure white or closer to white then
    > standard light bulbs...

    I use cheap Aluminum clamp on shop lights (about 4-6 bucks US) with
    5000k compact flourescents (about 5-7 bucks US) pick up as many as you
    need. You may have to search hard for the color temp on the bulb
    packages or on the bases themselves, not all will show temp but those
    that do generally have a 5000k version. "Daylight" bulbs can be
    anywhere from 3700k to 6300k or so, so read the packages carefully.

    , Mar 14, 2006
  9. systmster

    tomm42 Guest

    To do macro photography well, the more light the better. Keeps you
    camera shutter speed up and gets you sharper pics. I used to shoot with
    a 4x5 and 2-3 1000 watt tungsten lamps. The more light the more control
    you have.

    Tom

    tomm42, Mar 14, 2006