Cheap L-brackets?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    For various reasons I want to mount a camera "sideways", i.e. I want
    do do the equivalent of taking a vertical picture with the camera on a
    tripod, while keeping the tripod head horizontal.

    The obvious way to do that is with an L-bracket that screws into the
    camera's tripod socket, wraps around to the side of the camera, and
    has its own tripod hole on that side. Bjorn Rorslett uses homemade
    ones:

    http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

    However, he doesn't sell those.

    Really Right Stuff sells some very fancy ones, custom shaped for
    various different specific camera models, with cutouts to get to the
    camera connectors (not sure how that works when the tripod head is in
    the way), which slide directly into RRS ballheads. They also look to
    have intricate sculpting to keep weight down, important for field use.
    They're really nice. But they cost on the order of $150 each, and I
    need several. I don't care about the cutouts and I don't care what
    they weigh. I do need them to be very rigid. Something like Bjorn
    Rorslett's would be great.

    Anyone know of any products like that, which are less expensive than
    the RRS brackets?

    Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006

  2. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Paul Rubin

    ASAAR Guest

    On 22 Sep 2006 19:26:33 -0700, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    > Really Right Stuff sells some very fancy ones, custom shaped for
    > various different specific camera models, with cutouts to get to the
    > camera connectors (not sure how that works when the tripod head is in
    > the way), which slide directly into RRS ballheads. They also look to
    > have intricate sculpting to keep weight down, important for field use.
    > They're really nice. But they cost on the order of $150 each, and I
    > need several. I don't care about the cutouts and I don't care what
    > they weigh. I do need them to be very rigid. Something like Bjorn
    > Rorslett's would be great.
    >
    > Anyone know of any products like that, which are less expensive than
    > the RRS brackets?

    How about really cheap flash brackets? The camera would mount on
    the bracket in the usual way. Leave most of the arm that would
    normally raise the flash above the camera, and saw off the flash
    shoe along with extra angles, if there are any. Drill a suitable
    hole in what's left of the former arm to accommodate the tripod's
    screw, and secure it with a matching nut. It would be better if you
    can find a knurled knob for the job, but you could make one with a
    nut, some epoxy and other scraps if the bracket has to be repeatedly
    attached and removed from the tripod.

    ASAAR, Sep 23, 2006
  4. Paul Rubin

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    > Anyone know of any products like that, which are less expensive than
    > the RRS brackets?

    for the least expensive, go to a hardware store and get a 3 or 4" steel
    shelf bracket, which should cost a couple of bucks. attach it to the
    camera with a 1/4-20 screw and then mount that on the tripod. you'll
    probably need a rubber washer so the camera doesn't twist.

    for something a little more elegant, there is the bogen elbow bracket,
    which b&h has for $58.50:

    <http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=2487>

    nospam, Sep 23, 2006
  5. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    ASAAR <> writes:
    > How about really cheap flash brackets? The camera would mount on
    > the bracket in the usual way. Leave most of the arm that would
    > normally raise the flash above the camera, and saw off the flash
    > shoe along with extra angles, if there are any. Drill a suitable
    > hole in what's left of the former arm to accommodate the tripod's
    > screw, and secure it with a matching nut.

    Interesting idea, but doesn't sound anywhere near rigid enough. Flash
    brackets only have to keep the flash pointed in the general direction
    of the camera, but can otherwise flop around in the breeze. The L
    bracket setup is intended to keep the camera rock solid through long
    exposures.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006
  6. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    nospam <> writes:
    > for the least expensive, go to a hardware store and get a 3 or 4" steel
    > shelf bracket, which should cost a couple of bucks. attach it to the
    > camera with a 1/4-20 screw and then mount that on the tripod. you'll
    > probably need a rubber washer so the camera doesn't twist.

    Hmm, I'll check into this. The shelf brackets I'm used to aren't
    shaped the right way, so maybe there's something.

    > for something a little more elegant, there is the bogen elbow bracket,
    > which b&h has for $58.50:
    >
    > <http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=2487>

    This looks promising too, thanks! Although, that hexagonal mounting
    plate looks intended just for certain Bogen quick release tripod
    heads. Any idea what the screw thingie on the left just underneath
    the camera is?

    Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006
  7. Paul Rubin

    ASAAR Guest

    On 22 Sep 2006 20:57:18 -0700, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    >> How about really cheap flash brackets? The camera would mount on
    >> the bracket in the usual way. Leave most of the arm that would
    >> normally raise the flash above the camera, and saw off the flash
    >> shoe along with extra angles, if there are any. Drill a suitable
    >> hole in what's left of the former arm to accommodate the tripod's
    >> screw, and secure it with a matching nut.

    > Interesting idea, but doesn't sound anywhere near rigid enough. Flash
    > brackets only have to keep the flash pointed in the general direction
    > of the camera, but can otherwise flop around in the breeze. The L
    > bracket setup is intended to keep the camera rock solid through long
    > exposures.

    Yeah, I know how some really cheap metal brackets can allow the
    camera to rotate. Cork pads too, if they're old, hard and have a
    glazed surface. Smearing the bracket near where the camera would
    mount with some silicone compound (camera mounted long after it
    cures, of course) should keep the camera from moving for days, if
    need be. Or gasket material, or gasket-in-a-tube. It would help if
    you could enlist the services of the kid that was taking machine
    shop courses while you were spending time in the darkroom with
    Dinah. Oh, wait, that was in the kitchen. :)

    ASAAR, Sep 23, 2006
  8. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    ASAAR <> writes:
    > Yeah, I know how some really cheap metal brackets can allow the
    > camera to rotate. Cork pads too, if they're old, hard and have a
    > glazed surface. Smearing the bracket near where the camera would
    > mount with some silicone compound (camera mounted long after it
    > cures, of course) should keep the camera from moving for days, if
    > need be.

    I'm not as much worried about the camera sliding around on the
    slippery surface, as the bracket itself simply not being rigid enough
    to stop the whole assembly from vibrating. Think of a cheap flimsy
    tripod, vs. a solid one that weighs a lot more.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006
  9. Paul Rubin

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    > nospam <> writes:
    > > for the least expensive, go to a hardware store and get a 3 or 4" steel
    > > shelf bracket, which should cost a couple of bucks. attach it to the
    > > camera with a 1/4-20 screw and then mount that on the tripod. you'll
    > > probably need a rubber washer so the camera doesn't twist.

    > Hmm, I'll check into this. The shelf brackets I'm used to aren't
    > shaped the right way, so maybe there's something.

    the one i got was just a piece of steel bent at 90 degrees with a few
    holes on each leg. nothing fancy, and actually rather thick steel.

    > > for something a little more elegant, there is the bogen elbow bracket,
    > > which b&h has for $58.50:
    > >
    > > <http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=2487>

    > This looks promising too, thanks! Although, that hexagonal mounting
    > plate looks intended just for certain Bogen quick release tripod
    > heads.

    i'm not sure about their picture - the plate on the vertical part is a
    rectangular 3157 style and the one on the bottom is the hexagonal one.
    it makes no sense whatsoever to have two different and incompatible
    types on the same bracket. i've never seen one in real life so maybe
    there's a rectangular plate hiding under there...

    if you don't already have a bogen q/r system, you'd need one of those
    too (about $30 for the rectangular adapter&plate). then you could very
    quickly flip the camera from vertical to horizontal on the tripod.

    they also make a larger bracket with hex q/r plates on both:
    <http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=348>

    > Any idea what the screw thingie on the left just underneath
    > the camera is?

    no idea. the larger version appears to lack the screw.

    nospam, Sep 23, 2006
  10. Paul Rubin wrote:

    > For various reasons I want to mount a camera "sideways", i.e. I want
    > do do the equivalent of taking a vertical picture with the camera on a
    > tripod, while keeping the tripod head horizontal.
    >
    > The obvious way to do that is with an L-bracket that screws into the
    > camera's tripod socket, wraps around to the side of the camera, and
    > has its own tripod hole on that side. Bjorn Rorslett uses homemade
    > ones:
    >
    > http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
    >
    > However, he doesn't sell those.
    >
    > Really Right Stuff sells some very fancy ones, custom shaped for
    > various different specific camera models, with cutouts to get to the
    > camera connectors (not sure how that works when the tripod head is in
    > the way), which slide directly into RRS ballheads. They also look to
    > have intricate sculpting to keep weight down, important for field use.
    > They're really nice. But they cost on the order of $150 each, and I
    > need several. I don't care about the cutouts and I don't care what
    > they weigh. I do need them to be very rigid. Something like Bjorn
    > Rorslett's would be great.
    >
    > Anyone know of any products like that, which are less expensive than
    > the RRS brackets?

    Try a Wimberly sidekick.
    http://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm

    (not cheap, $250, but you can use it for telephoto work too.)

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Sep 23, 2006
  11. Paul Rubin

    ASAAR Guest

    On 22 Sep 2006 22:06:21 -0700, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    > I'm not as much worried about the camera sliding around on the
    > slippery surface, as the bracket itself simply not being rigid enough
    > to stop the whole assembly from vibrating. Think of a cheap flimsy
    > tripod, vs. a solid one that weighs a lot more.

    Hmm. I've got several flash brackets, and if the arm of any were
    locked in a vise, you could mount a camera on the bracket, tap it,
    and it wouldn't move a bit. True, they're not the cheapest
    brackets, but I don't recall seeing any cheap ones that were
    significantly flimsier. I'm not trying to convince you to go the
    do-it-yourself route though. Time spent building several of these
    gizmos would take time that could be better spent taking pictures.

    ASAAR, Sep 23, 2006
  12. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> writes:
    > Try a Wimberly sidekick.
    > http://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm
    >
    > (not cheap, $250, but you can use it for telephoto work too.)

    Arggh! That's even more expensive than the RRS bracket! And its main
    point seems to be that it's an adjustable gimbal. I just want to
    mount the camera at 90 degrees, no adjustment needed. I don't even
    need to be able to switch between 90 degrees and regular horizontal--
    I can remove the bracket for that.

    Thanks though.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006
  13. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    ASAAR <> writes:
    > Hmm. I've got several flash brackets, and if the arm of any were
    > locked in a vise, you could mount a camera on the bracket, tap it,
    > and it wouldn't move a bit.

    Well, maybe the one I have is unusually cheesy.

    > True, they're not the cheapest brackets, but I don't recall seeing
    > any cheap ones that were significantly flimsier. I'm not trying to
    > convince you to go the do-it-yourself route though. Time spent
    > building several of these gizmos would take time that could be
    > better spent taking pictures.

    Nospam's furniture bracket idea sounds worth looking into. I'll check
    at the hardware store.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006
  14. "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote:

    > Really Right Stuff sells some very fancy ones, custom shaped for
    > various different specific camera models, with cutouts to get to the
    > camera connectors (not sure how that works when the tripod head is in
    > the way), which slide directly into RRS ballheads. They also look to
    > have intricate sculpting to keep weight down, important for field use.
    > They're really nice. But they cost on the order of $150 each, and I
    > need several. I don't care about the cutouts and I don't care what
    > they weigh. I do need them to be very rigid. Something like Bjorn
    > Rorslett's would be great.

    The RRS generic bracket (a mere US$105, still a painful ouch, but at least
    it's cheaper than the dedicated once) works on a variety of cameras (I've
    used mine on a Mamiya 7 and a 5D), but you'll need a ARCA-Swiss style clamp
    on your tripod head....

    Since you need multiple brackets, I realize it's not an option. But FWIW...

    It only works on cameras that have 25mm or less clearance between the
    mounting screw hole and the rearmost part of the camera base, i.e. it's
    designed for a generic 35mm camera base, and won't work on a square based
    camera like a Rolleiflex TLR or Hassleblad.

    David J. Littleboy
    Not much help in
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 23, 2006
  15. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "David J. Littleboy" <> writes:
    > The RRS generic bracket (a mere US$105, still a painful ouch, but at least
    > it's cheaper than the dedicated once) works on a variety of cameras (I've
    > used mine on a Mamiya 7 and a 5D), but you'll need a ARCA-Swiss style clamp
    > on your tripod head....
    >
    > Since you need multiple brackets, I realize it's not an option. But FWIW...

    Well, that's worth knowing about. Initially I'd need two of them, so
    the cost is not totally insane, but I might want a second setup later
    (4 brackets total). I won't need dozens of them or anything like that.

    The tripod head situation is another matter and I'll have to think
    about it.

    > It only works on cameras that have 25mm or less clearance between the
    > mounting screw hole and the rearmost part of the camera base, i.e. it's
    > designed for a generic 35mm camera base, and won't work on a square based
    > camera like a Rolleiflex TLR or Hassleblad.

    This shouldn't be a problem given my current limitations. Thanks.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006
  16. Paul Rubin

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    > For various reasons I want to mount a camera "sideways", i.e. I want
    > do do the equivalent of taking a vertical picture with the camera on a
    > tripod, while keeping the tripod head horizontal.
    >
    > The obvious way to do that is with an L-bracket that screws into the
    > camera's tripod socket, wraps around to the side of the camera, and
    > has its own tripod hole on that side. Bjorn Rorslett uses homemade
    > ones:
    >
    > http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
    >
    > However, he doesn't sell those.
    >
    > Really Right Stuff sells some very fancy ones, custom shaped for
    > various different specific camera models, with cutouts to get to the
    > camera connectors (not sure how that works when the tripod head is in
    > the way), which slide directly into RRS ballheads. They also look to
    > have intricate sculpting to keep weight down, important for field use.
    > They're really nice. But they cost on the order of $150 each, and I
    > need several. I don't care about the cutouts and I don't care what
    > they weigh. I do need them to be very rigid. Something like Bjorn
    > Rorslett's would be great.
    >
    > Anyone know of any products like that, which are less expensive than
    > the RRS brackets?

    Novoflex makes two different ones. Very rigid and maintain 90? in both
    planes (not an easy thing to do yourself or cheaply).

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Sep 23, 2006
  17. Paul Rubin

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Bob Salomon <> wrote:

    You can see one at:

    http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm

    Bob Salomon, Sep 23, 2006
  18. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Bob Salomon <> writes:
    > http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm
    > >
    > > Novoflex makes two different ones. Very rigid and maintain 90? in both
    > > planes (not an easy thing to do yourself or cheaply).

    I see one there called MC-VERTIKAL which costs 79 euros and again
    seems to have some kind of proprietary quick release plate meaning it
    wants to be attached to some specific tripod head. Really, this is
    much too fancy. I basically just want a hunk of angle iron with some
    holes drilled appropriately. Something like what Bjorn Rorslett made.
    Yes, I can do that myself, and will probably end up doing so. I was
    just hoping to not have to bother.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 23, 2006
  19. Paul Rubin

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    > Bob Salomon <> writes:
    > > http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm
    > > >
    > > > Novoflex makes two different ones. Very rigid and maintain 90? in both
    > > > planes (not an easy thing to do yourself or cheaply).

    > I see one there called MC-VERTIKAL which costs 79 euros and again
    > seems to have some kind of proprietary quick release plate meaning it
    > wants to be attached to some specific tripod head. Really, this is
    > much too fancy. I basically just want a hunk of angle iron with some
    > holes drilled appropriately. Something like what Bjorn Rorslett made.
    > Yes, I can do that myself, and will probably end up doing so. I was
    > just hoping to not have to bother.

    You just unscrew the quick release screws.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Sep 23, 2006
  20. Paul Rubin

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    > costs 79 euros

    That would be the price in Europe. In the USA the price would be what
    your camera store charges.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Sep 23, 2006