Cheap Home Theatre Set Up?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by LF, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. LF

    LF Guest

    What I'm looking for is the most upgrade bang for my 200 or so bucks.

    I have two HT (home theatre) set ups now, well actually three, if you
    count the KLH "digital" TV (not HD) running sound through an old
    Onkyo stereo amplifier with an old Toshiba DVD player. (I don't use
    it much, and when I do I usually listen through good headphones while
    my wife sleeps.)
    The set up I watch movies on the most is in a small room: Philips flat

    screen TV, old Onkyo Dolby Surround Sound Pro-Logic, old Philips 751
    DVD player. This set up has decent HT speakers: center, sub-woffer
    (not powered), front and rear speakers.
    Almost two years ago I set up HT in the "teenage lounge," a large
    room in the basement. I took an old Toshiba TV and hooked it up to a
    really cheap ($50) dolby 5.1 HT system from Best Buy. The DVD player
    and amplifier are in the same unit. I threw out the speakers that came

    with it, and replaced them with a bunch of large old stereo speakers
    (except for the rear speakers which are good quality small old stereo
    speakers). And, much to my surprise, WOW, did that sound great! Even
    cheap dolby 5.1 is quite fantastic.
    Recently the cheap system in the "teenage lounge" burnt itself out.
    I guess those $50 systems can't be expected to play at high volume
    for ever. Now, only the left and right front channels work. I thought

    of opening the case to see what's up (maybe a fuse is blown?), but
    the thing is press fit together -- with nothing to unscrew for
    disassembly. So, it's on to better things.

    I want a Dolby 5.1 amplifier to replace the Onkyo Pro-logic player in
    the small viewing room. It seems that 6.1 and 7.1 offer no advantage
    (no room for more rear speakers). Then, move the Onkyo Pro-logic down
    to the "teenage lounge." I'll also want a new DVD player for the
    small room, and will move the Philips 751 down to the "teenage
    lounge."

    Here's my questions:
    1. Recommendations for Dolby 5.1 amplifier (including refurbished
    units)?
    2. Recommendations for DVD players (and what is progressive scan
    anyway)?
    3. What's this I hear about some device to convert my current TV to
    HD? Will it do me much good with DVDs? (I don't watch much
    broadcast TV.)
    4. Am I missing something obvious? For example, is there some
    relatively easy way to convert my existing amplifier to dolby 5.1?

    Thanks in advance,
    Larry
    LF, Jul 15, 2005

  2. LF

    Guest Guest

    "LF" <> wrote in message
    > What I'm looking for is the most upgrade bang for my 200 or so bucks.
    >

    > I have two HT (home theatre) set ups now, well actually three, if you
    > count the KLH "digital" TV (not HD) running sound through an old
    > Onkyo stereo amplifier with an old Toshiba DVD player. (I don't use
    > it much, and when I do I usually listen through good headphones while
    > my wife sleeps.)
    > The set up I watch movies on the most is in a small room: Philips flat
    >
    > screen TV, old Onkyo Dolby Surround Sound Pro-Logic, old Philips 751
    > DVD player. This set up has decent HT speakers: center, sub-woffer
    > (not powered), front and rear speakers.
    > Almost two years ago I set up HT in the "teenage lounge," a large
    > room in the basement. I took an old Toshiba TV and hooked it up to a
    > really cheap ($50) dolby 5.1 HT system from Best Buy. The DVD player
    > and amplifier are in the same unit. I threw out the speakers that came
    >
    > with it, and replaced them with a bunch of large old stereo speakers
    > (except for the rear speakers which are good quality small old stereo
    > speakers). And, much to my surprise, WOW, did that sound great! Even
    > cheap dolby 5.1 is quite fantastic.
    > Recently the cheap system in the "teenage lounge" burnt itself out.
    > I guess those $50 systems can't be expected to play at high volume
    > for ever. Now, only the left and right front channels work. I thought
    >
    > of opening the case to see what's up (maybe a fuse is blown?), but
    > the thing is press fit together -- with nothing to unscrew for
    > disassembly. So, it's on to better things.
    >

    > I want a Dolby 5.1 amplifier to replace the Onkyo Pro-logic player in
    > the small viewing room. It seems that 6.1 and 7.1 offer no advantage
    > (no room for more rear speakers). Then, move the Onkyo Pro-logic down
    > to the "teenage lounge." I'll also want a new DVD player for the
    > small room, and will move the Philips 751 down to the "teenage
    > lounge."
    >

    > Here's my questions:
    > 1. Recommendations for Dolby 5.1 amplifier (including refurbished
    > units)?

    Buy a receiver, such as the Panasonic HE75

    > 2. Recommendations for DVD players (and what is progressive scan
    > anyway)?

    Examine the selection at Costco. Forget progressive scan.

    > 3. What's this I hear about some device to convert my current TV to
    > HD? Will it do me much good with DVDs? (I don't watch much
    > broadcast TV.)

    You can't convert your existing TV set to HD

    Norm Strong
    Guest, Jul 16, 2005