    advanced ,P&S cameras would you folks reccommend?

    thanks,
    , Jan 5, 2008

  2. LGLA Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    >I am still a 35mm SLR film photographer. I'd love a D4O or a Pentax
    > consumer DSLR but they are out of my budget. If I got a near SLR (say
    > a Fuji) I think I would be disappointed. So how about a cheap (under
    > 100) used point and shoot for fun while I keep using film for serious
    > B&W?
    >
    > I'd like the ability to choose scenes and adjust exposure a bit,
    > perhaps some ability to adjust for different types of light? I had an
    > older Cool Pix which was OK but the cheap plastic gears broke. 3MP is
    > good enough. What older, used, inexpensive, but reliable, semi
    > advanced ,P&S cameras would you folks reccommend?
    >
    > thanks,

    3mp good enough..."not". You need at least 6 to make an 11x14 [4:3, 35mm = 3:2]
    print in original resolution and downsampled from there to 8x10 and 5x7... unless you
    want to use software to interpolate from 3mp up 300%, which can be done with
    Irfanview or the gimp (both free, with Lanczos algorythm) or Genuine Fractals (a
    photoshop plugin software, $$$.00). Generally the top print size from 35mm is a 3:2
    11 inch high print, same as 6mp digital unless using a super fine grained film.

    Get a Fuji F31fd or F50fd, these have lower image noise at high ISO settings, meaning
    faster shutter speeds. Great color quality too, and sharpness, as long as you keep the
    sharpness setting on high. I happily use the s6000fd, though the focussing a bit slow for
    contrast detection technology instead of phase detection. but I think that is only found
    in dslrs. The s6000fd's image quality is awesome, just not a sports machine.

    --
    Giant_Alex }<)))*>
    not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/
    LGLA, Jan 5, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Jan 5, 4:35 pm, "LGLA" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > >I am still a 35mm SLR film photographer. I'd love a D4O or a Pentax
    > > consumer DSLR but they are out of my budget. If I got a near SLR (say
    > > a Fuji) I think I would be disappointed. So how about a cheap (under
    > > * $100* ) used point and shoot for fun while I keep using film for B&W? ... <snip> ... What older, used, inexpensive, but reliable, semi
    > > advanced ,P&S cameras would you folks reccommend?

    > > thanks,

    > 3mp good enough..."not". You need at least 6 to make an 11x14 [4:3, 35mm = 3:2]
    > print in original resolution and downsampled from there to 8x10 and 5x7... unless you
    > want to use software to interpolate from 3mp up 300%, which can be done with
    > Irfanview or the gimp (both free, with Lanczos algorythm) or Genuine Fractals (a
    > photoshop plugin software, $$$.00). Generally the top print size from 35mm is a 3:2
    > 11 inch high print, same as 6mp digital unless using a super fine grained film.
    >
    > Get a Fuji F31fd or F50fd, these have lower image noise at high ISO settings, meaning
    > faster shutter speeds. Great color quality too, and sharpness, as long as you keep the
    > sharpness setting on high. I happily use the s6000fd, though the focussing a bit slow for
    > contrast detection technology instead of phase detection. but I think that is only found
    > in dslrs. The s6000fd's image quality is awesome, just not a sports machine.
    >
    > --
    > Giant_Alex }<)))*>
    > not my site:http://www.e-sword.net/

    Perhaps I wasn't clear?

    I'm looking for an older, cheap, used, semi adjustable, digital
    camera, to fool around with and play with while continuing to shoot
    film. 3mp is plenty. 4X5 is big enough for fooling around. I won't be
    blowing anything up close to 11 X 14. Just looking for something to
    fool around with , but would like some control over exposure.

    1. cheap , older, used under $100 E Bay
    2. reliable (afraid of plastic gears)
    3. some exposure control

    thanks
    , Jan 5, 2008
  4. LGLA Guest

    > Perhaps I wasn't clear?
    >
    > I'm looking for an older, cheap, used, semi adjustable, digital
    > camera, to fool around with and play with while continuing to shoot
    > film. 3mp is plenty. 4X5 is big enough for fooling around. I won't be
    > blowing anything up close to 11 X 14. Just looking for something to
    > fool around with , but would like some control over exposure.
    >
    > 1. cheap , older, used under $100 E Bay
    > 2. reliable (afraid of plastic gears)
    > 3. some exposure control
    >
    > thanks

    Canon G2 or G3? Fast lenses on those ones but I think the really strong point is LOW
    image noise at high ISO settings. And in point & shooters, Fuji is the champ. 3mp ideas
    would be s5000z, s602z pro, f700 and f710. "F" and "S" series are both always Fuji's
    top of the line P/S machines with their own "super ccds". The "S" series are super zoom
    slr-like. And Fuji lenses are sharp, too. The rest of the research is up to you.

    check:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/

    LGLA, Jan 6, 2008
  5. Guest

    The G2 G3 seems to be similar to, but hopefully more reliable than the
    troublesome Coolpix 880 that I used in the past.

    I was familiar with and was impressed with the Fujji S5200, S7000,
    S9000 series but was unaware of the S602z. That looks like the leading
    candidate. I'll have to do some more research and watch ebay to get an
    idea of what they're worth.

    Again - thanks for your input

    > Canon G2 or G3? Fast lenses on those ones but I think the really strong point is LOW
    > image noise at high ISO settings. And in point & shooters, Fuji is the champ. 3mp ideas
    > would be s5000z, s602z pro, f700 and f710. "F" and "S" series are both always Fuji's
    > top of the line P/S machines with their own "super ccds". The "S" series are super zoom
    > slr-like. And Fuji lenses are sharp, too. The rest of the research is up to you.
    >
    > check:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/
    >
    > --
    > Giant_Alex }<)))*>
    > not my site:http://www.e-sword.net/