    --
    Chris Green

    , Jan 26, 2009

  2. Graham. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:497df70b$0$513$...
    >I would like to set up VOIP for my daughter on her computer. As she
    > has an 'off the shelf' ADSL connection with the hardware supplied by
    > the ISP I guess the simplest way to go is a phone+box that will plug
    > directly into the CAT5/Ethernet. I.e. a TA plus a phone, preferably
    > as a package.
    >
    > What's available at reasonable price?
    >
    > (I already have VOIP set up on my home LAN and thus have a reasonable
    > feel for the computery/VOIP supplier side of things. Oh, just to make
    > it clear my daughter lives 100 miles or so away from us)

    The thing you call a TA is actually called an ATA.
    Look for the offerings of Linksys, Sipura and AVM.
    What about service providers? what do you use at home?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jan 26, 2009

  3. Guest

    Graham. <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > >I would like to set up VOIP for my daughter on her computer. As she
    > > has an 'off the shelf' ADSL connection with the hardware supplied by
    > > the ISP I guess the simplest way to go is a phone+box that will plug
    > > directly into the CAT5/Ethernet. I.e. a TA plus a phone, preferably
    > > as a package.
    > >
    > > What's available at reasonable price?
    > >
    > > (I already have VOIP set up on my home LAN and thus have a reasonable
    > > feel for the computery/VOIP supplier side of things. Oh, just to make
    > > it clear my daughter lives 100 miles or so away from us)
    > >

    > The thing you call a TA is actually called an ATA.

    Ah, yes, I thought I might have that wrong! :)

    > Look for the offerings of Linksys, Sipura and AVM.

    How about any "all-in-one" devices with a phone as well?

    > What about service providers? what do you use at home?

    Cheap and cheerful, at the moment SIP Discount is the one I use mostly
    with Sipgate as a backup. We've been hitting the "free calls to the
    USA" quite hard recently and that's what my daughter probably wants to
    use as well.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Jan 26, 2009
  4. Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > I would like to set up VOIP for my daughter on her computer. As she
    > has an 'off the shelf' ADSL connection with the hardware supplied by
    > the ISP I guess the simplest way to go is a phone+box that will plug
    > directly into the CAT5/Ethernet. I.e. a TA plus a phone, preferably
    > as a package.
    >
    > What's available at reasonable price?
    >
    > (I already have VOIP set up on my home LAN and thus have a reasonable
    > feel for the computery/VOIP supplier side of things. Oh, just to make
    > it clear my daughter lives 100 miles or so away from us)

    <conflict of interest warning>

    Have you looked at the Gigaset cordless phones?

    Biggest plus is that the handset looks and feels like a normal phone.

    Tim

    Tim, Jan 26, 2009
  5. Graham. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Graham. <> wrote:
    >>

    >> <> wrote in message
    >> >I would like to set up VOIP for my daughter on her computer. As she
    >> > has an 'off the shelf' ADSL connection with the hardware supplied by
    >> > the ISP I guess the simplest way to go is a phone+box that will plug
    >> > directly into the CAT5/Ethernet. I.e. a TA plus a phone, preferably
    >> > as a package.
    >> >
    >> > What's available at reasonable price?
    >> >
    >> > (I already have VOIP set up on my home LAN and thus have a reasonable
    >> > feel for the computery/VOIP supplier side of things. Oh, just to make
    >> > it clear my daughter lives 100 miles or so away from us)
    >> >

    >> The thing you call a TA is actually called an ATA.

    > Ah, yes, I thought I might have that wrong! :)
    >
    >> Look for the offerings of Linksys, Sipura and AVM.

    > How about any "all-in-one" devices with a phone as well?
    >
    >> What about service providers? what do you use at home?
    >>

    > Cheap and cheerful, at the moment SIP Discount is the one I use mostly
    > with Sipgate as a backup. We've been hitting the "free calls to the
    > USA" quite hard recently and that's what my daughter probably wants to
    > use as well.

    You might want to stay with Betamax but use smslisto.com instead
    of sipdiscount.com,.as UK mobiles are a third of the price.
    Only 90 freedays, but that isn't an issue for me because the credit
    runs out by me dialling mobiles, before 90 days.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jan 26, 2009
  6. Guest

    Tim <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I would like to set up VOIP for my daughter on her computer. As she
    > > has an 'off the shelf' ADSL connection with the hardware supplied by
    > > the ISP I guess the simplest way to go is a phone+box that will plug
    > > directly into the CAT5/Ethernet. I.e. a TA plus a phone, preferably
    > > as a package.
    > >
    > > What's available at reasonable price?
    > >
    > > (I already have VOIP set up on my home LAN and thus have a reasonable
    > > feel for the computery/VOIP supplier side of things. Oh, just to make
    > > it clear my daughter lives 100 miles or so away from us)

    > <conflict of interest warning>
    >
    > Have you looked at the Gigaset cordless phones?
    >
    > Biggest plus is that the handset looks and feels like a normal phone.

    .... as in Siemens C475IP etc.? It's what I already have at home but
    relatively expensive.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Jan 26, 2009
  7. Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > ... as in Siemens C475IP etc.? It's what I already have at home but
    > relatively expensive.

    Yes.

    Or A580IP if you want a cheaper one.

    Same thing with cheaper handset (no colour on screen) and no answering
    machine.

    Tim

    Tim, Jan 27, 2009