Cheap EOS 1D-S on ebay ... is it for real?!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by polvoronn, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. polvoronn

    polvoronn Guest

    polvoronn, Oct 15, 2003

  2. polvoronn

    grenner Guest

    Look at the other auctions, it may be a ripped off Ebay ID

    Greg

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957866931&category=43454&

    grenner, Oct 15, 2003

  3. "polvoronn" <> writes:

    >- no reserve
    >- 2 days left (as for this post)
    >- just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
    >- includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies

    >BUT

    >- high feedback rating
    >- located in netherlands

    First, you have no idea what it will actually sell for. Many ebay
    bidders place one single bid for the maximum amount they are willing to
    pay in the last 10 seconds of the auction.

    Second, it is risky. Cameras are one of the high-fraud things on ebay,
    along with laptops and other high-dollar electronic things. The high
    feedback doesn't mean much, unless it's good feedback from a long
    history of selling cameras. A favourite ploy of scammers is to steal
    someone's ebay account (by sending out fake "verify your account details"
    email) and use it to sell stuff that they don't have.

    Not all ebay camera sales are fraudulent, of course, but you're taking a
    larger risk than with most items. If it seems too good to be true, it
    probably is.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Oct 15, 2003
  4. polvoronn

    Bob Niland Guest

    > polvoronn <> wrote:

    > &item=2957866931

    Item listed on eBay Canada.
    "Registered 23-Feb-01 in United States"
    "Location: EMAIL ME
    Netherlands"
    Mostly a Buyer this year before this auction.
    How many more warning signs do you need?

    My bet is:
    - hijacked account
    - no such goods

    Use Ask-Seller-A-Question and see if your
    cousin Franco, who lives in Amsterdam, can
    come pick up the equipment and pay cash.

    Or, place a bid, then pull Contact Info,
    and see where the phone number (if any)
    is. If the CI is invalid, report it.
    eBay will take down the auction and NARU
    the account very quickly.

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Oct 15, 2003
  5. polvoronn

    Nikki Guest

    Today alone, I've turned in to eBay customer service over 30
    fraudulent auctions, the large portion of them being for D100 and
    Kodak 14n cameras, along with big-screen plasma TVs and laptop
    computers. It's always the same thing - a ripped of user ID and
    feedback, often along with a "private" auction or selected bidder
    requirement, along with no indication of acceptance of payment other
    than cash, check or MO.

    What I'd like you to do is this: Carefully examine each of these
    auctions, and compare the auction to the seller's buying/selling
    history. You will discover that all of these slimeballs are using the
    ID and history of innocent victims, often buyers (generally US) having
    a history of purchasing inexpensive items. I've found a method for
    quickly culling through the electronic listings and weeding out these
    vermin for eBay to deal with, and they always cancel them out within a
    few hours of my warnings. Unfortunately they are back again the next
    day with the same ads, just different stolen IDs. Locations in the
    Netherlands, England, and Italy are always suspect, but there are
    plenty more headquartered in Florida, New York and elsewhere.

    The information used to establish their phony ID and history is
    usually obtained by spamming e-mail that appears to be originating
    from eBay, requesting logon serials and ID.

    These are felonies, since all of the items involved are well over
    $1000, and it follows that eBay should take a far more aggresive role
    in making sure they are prosecuted, not simply cancelled. EBay has
    far better search functions than we do for culling out suspicious ads,
    it's a shame they can't put them to better use.

    In the meantime, do your own part to clean this slime out of
    eBay--when you see auctions that are obviously fraudulent, report them
    immediately. A good place to start is here:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/index.html

    -Nikki

    Nikki, Oct 15, 2003
  6. polvoronn

    PiZzazZ Guest

    Good grief! eBay should pay you for your time. I wonder what those people
    in eBay fraud unit are doing...Reading your emails, I guess.

    I am tempted to play with those fraudster just for fun. Win the bid and play
    dumb. Keep them excited until their patience wears out.

    &

    PiZzazZ, Oct 15, 2003
  7. polvoronn

    JB Guest

    "grenner" <> wrote in message news:<3f8cae16$0$41292$>...
    > Look at the other auctions, it may be a ripped off Ebay ID
    >
    > Greg
    > "polvoronn" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957866931&category=43454&
    > > rd=1
    > >
    > > - no reserve
    > > - 2 days left (as for this post)
    > > - just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
    > > - includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies
    > >
    > > BUT
    > >
    > > - high feedback rating
    > > - located in netherlands

    > > WHAT'S GOING ON?!

    It is a fraudulent auction. It looks real because the ebay ID number
    has been hijacked by the worm who is trying to steal the money. The
    true ebayer doesn't even know his ID has been hijacked. These
    auctions are typically out of Europe, but some hijackers exist in
    America as well.

    Read the following:

    http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/identitytheft/oah-8.htm

    JB, Oct 15, 2003
  8. polvoronn

    Mark B. Guest

    "polvoronn" <> wrote in message

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957866931&category=43454&
    > rd=1
    >
    > - no reserve
    > - 2 days left (as for this post)
    > - just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
    > - includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies
    >
    > BUT
    >
    > - high feedback rating
    > - located in netherlands
    >
    > WHAT'S GOING ON?!

    It's a scam. Probably a hijacked account from a legit user with good
    feedback. If you were to bid & win, the seller would ask for a Western
    Union transfer. You & your money will be parted and you will have nothing
    to show for it. Stay away from deals that look way too good to be true.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 15, 2003
  9. polvoronn

    Ken Alverson Guest

    "polvoronn" <> wrote in message
    > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957866931&category=43454&
    > rd=1
    >
    > - no reserve
    > - 2 days left (as for this post)
    > - just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
    > - includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies

    It's a 3 day auction that just started a few hours before your post, so it's
    not unusual that the price is so low at this point. With 2 days and 5 hours
    left now, it's up to $1200, and undoubtably it will continue to go up as the
    end of the auction approaches. No reserve is not an indication of anything
    wrong, either. Many people simply don't have a set minimum they will accept,
    or know that an item without a reserve will get more bids. Nothing indicates
    to me this is a scam. The fact that the seller is in the Netherlands makes
    wary, but not suspicious.

    That said, caution should be exercised if you do try to win the camera. Don't
    go wiring money, and insist on an escrow service, especially on an item this
    expensive. If the seller refuses, it probably is a scam.

    My question is, who buys an $8K camera and pairs it with a $400 and a $180
    lens? Not that my lenses are any better, but I didn't get a 1Ds...

    Ken

    Ken Alverson, Oct 15, 2003
  10. polvoronn

    Mark Grebner Guest

    > Good grief! eBay should pay you for your time. I wonder what those people
    > in eBay fraud unit are doing...Reading your emails, I guess.

    My thoughts exactly. Not only because Nikki is obviously dong good
    things, but because eBay really ought to start caring about fraud.

    It has always been eBay's unwritten policy to allow fraud as long as
    the perpetrator follows all the rules. If this seems like an
    outrageous thing to say, consider that nobody at eBay seems to be
    doing the same research as Nikki is - even though they have far
    greater and easier access to auction data than a private party has.

    There are any number of steps eBay could take to make fraudulent
    auctions more difficult to place, but their answer is always the same:
    they cut-and-paste a copy of their policies in a robo-reply.

    EBay is a truly wonderful addition to American commerce, but I sure
    wish they'd get past over their short-range grubbing for listing fees,
    and start realizing that undiscovered frauds are a minus to them - not
    a plus.

    Mark Grebner, Oct 15, 2003
  11. polvoronn

    polvoronn Guest

    *UPDATE*Re: Cheap EOS 1D-S on ebay ... is it for real?!

    Looks like the auction has been pulled. There was also another auction for
    a cheap 1Ds and that ended also. Interestingly enough, both sellers are in
    the netherlands o_O

    I always knew that "If it's too good to be true then it probably is"
    (ESPECIALLY with ebay auctions) - these ones just caught me off guard cuz it
    looked so legit. Oh well, back to my A60.

    polvoronn, Oct 15, 2003
  12. polvoronn

    PiZzazA Guest

    If I were an ebay lawyer, this is what I am thinking.

    If I ignore all the reports about fraudulent auctions, I would be liable
    because I knowingly let people get ripped off.
    If I strart actively pursuing fraudulent auctions, I would be liable for
    anything that I missed because I have presumed responsibility to prevent
    them.
    So the best way is to be passive, and make ebay a "carrier" model: Carry the
    contents but not responsible for them.

    PiZzazA, Oct 15, 2003
  13. polvoronn

    ThomasH Guest

    JB wrote:

    > "grenner" <> wrote in message news:<3f8cae16$0$41292$>...
    > > Look at the other auctions, it may be a ripped off Ebay ID
    > >
    > > Greg
    > > "polvoronn" <> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957866931&category=43454&
    > > > rd=1
    > > >
    > > > - no reserve
    > > > - 2 days left (as for this post)
    > > > - just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
    > > > - includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies
    > > >
    > > > BUT
    > > >
    > > > - high feedback rating
    > > > - located in netherlands

    > > > WHAT'S GOING ON?!

    > It is a fraudulent auction. It looks real because the ebay ID number
    > has been hijacked by the worm who is trying to steal the money. The
    > true ebayer doesn't even know his ID has been hijacked. These
    > auctions are typically out of Europe, but some hijackers exist in
    > America as well.

    I got such a case with my recent auction! The bidder has send me
    an address in Holland before the auction was over and the bid
    was very high, over average. He hoped of greed of the seller or
    stupidity (send before paid??). I am not sure, but in the process
    of the customary contacting the bidder I got a call back from
    someone from Mid West, who claimed that his account and paypal
    account were breached. He was not bidding on my Canon lens at all!

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Oct 15, 2003
  14. polvoronn

    Bob Niland Guest

    > ThomasH <> wrote:

    > I got such a case with my recent auction!
    > The bidder has send me an address in Holland ...
    > ... I got a call back from someone from Mid
    > West, who claimed that his account and paypal
    > account were breached. He was not bidding on
    > my Canon lens at all!

    String the fake buyer along until the account
    can get unstolen, lest the fraudulent user
    hit you with a needless Negative feedback.
    If the eBay account is already NARU, you're
    probably safe.

    You will need to file an NPB, and then for
    FVF credit, and make it "by mutual consent",
    so as not to further penalize the hapless
    account owner.

    Bob Niland, Oct 15, 2003
  15. polvoronn

    Ed E. Guest

    Hijaaked eBay account. They are getting better at making them look nice,
    though.

    Anytime you see the words: "Contact me for my Buy It Now price", it's most
    definitely a scam.

    Ed E., Oct 15, 2003
  16. polvoronn

    Ed E. Guest

  17. polvoronn

    JB Guest

    "Ken Alverson" <> wrote in message news:<bmjlr2$2ki$>...
    > "polvoronn" <> wrote in message
    > > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957866931&category=43454&
    > > rd=1
    > >
    > > - no reserve
    > > - 2 days left (as for this post)
    > > - just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
    > > - includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies

    > It's a 3 day auction that just started a few hours before your post, so it's
    > not unusual that the price is so low at this point. With 2 days and 5 hours
    > left now, it's up to $1200, and undoubtably it will continue to go up as the
    > end of the auction approaches. No reserve is not an indication of anything
    > wrong, either. Many people simply don't have a set minimum they will accept,
    > or know that an item without a reserve will get more bids. Nothing indicates
    > to me this is a scam. The fact that the seller is in the Netherlands makes
    > wary, but not suspicious.
    >
    > That said, caution should be exercised if you do try to win the camera. Don't
    > go wiring money, and insist on an escrow service, especially on an item this
    > expensive. If the seller refuses, it probably is a scam.
    >
    > My question is, who buys an $8K camera and pairs it with a $400 and a $180
    > lens? Not that my lenses are any better, but I didn't get a 1Ds...
    >
    > Ken

    A Canon DSLR from the Netherlands may not seem suspicious to you, but
    I have seen at least 5 other auctions in the last six days with the
    location being the same. I have also received emails from said
    scammers.

    Further,one of the sellers "other items for sale", a great sound
    system, was $1500US BIN rather than closer to the MSRP of $5000 US
    BIN. Moreover, the "seller" had only purchased sports cards
    historically.......I could not find one instance of the seller having
    sold anything before.
    Here are a couple of threads to read. Come to your own conclusions.

    http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jsp?forum=98&thread=35644&modifed=20031010113448

    http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jsp?forum=98&thread=2308900&modifed=20031009155503

    JB, Oct 15, 2003
  18. polvoronn

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/15/03 1:45 PM, in article , "Bob
    Niland" <> wrote:

    >> ThomasH <> wrote:

    >> I got such a case with my recent auction!
    >> The bidder has send me an address in Holland ...
    >> ... I got a call back from someone from Mid
    >> West, who claimed that his account and paypal
    >> account were breached. He was not bidding on
    >> my Canon lens at all!

    > String the fake buyer along until the account
    > can get unstolen, lest the fraudulent user
    > hit you with a needless Negative feedback.
    > If the eBay account is already NARU, you're
    > probably safe.
    >
    > You will need to file an NPB, and then for
    > FVF credit, and make it "by mutual consent",
    > so as not to further penalize the hapless
    > account owner.

    What's with all the letter abbreviations? If you want to be helpful spell it
    out! KWIM?

    George Kerby, Oct 15, 2003
  19. polvoronn

    Ken Alverson Guest

    "JB" <> wrote in message

    > A Canon DSLR from the Netherlands may not seem suspicious to you, but
    > I have seen at least 5 other auctions in the last six days with the
    > location being the same. I have also received emails from said
    > scammers.
    >
    > Further,one of the sellers "other items for sale", a great sound
    > system, was $1500US BIN rather than closer to the MSRP of $5000 US
    > BIN. Moreover, the "seller" had only purchased sports cards
    > historically.......I could not find one instance of the seller having
    > sold anything before.

    In isolation, the listing looks legit, though I agree...

    No matter what, if you start to feel uneasy about the seller, you should
    contact eBay. However, a low current bid (especially right after it is made
    available) and no reserve are not indications of a scam. A ridiculously low
    Buy It Now price, or people contacting you outside of eBay and/or trying to
    get you to send non-traceable forms of payment should be viewed very
    suspiciously.

    Ken

    Ken Alverson, Oct 15, 2003
  20. polvoronn

    Bob Niland Guest

    > George Kerby <> wrote:

    >> If the eBay account is already NARU,...
    >> You will need to file an NPB, and then for
    >> FVF credit, ...

    > What's with all the letter abbreviations?

    Anyone selling on eBay, who doesn't know
    those abbreviations, is dangerously
    undereducated. Head over to
    to gain remedial insight.

    > If you want to be helpful spell it
    > out! KWIM?

    NARU - Not A Registered User

    The limbo state that suspended accounts
    enter, temporarily or permanently, for
    defective contact info, failure to pay
    eBay fees, hijacked UserID detected,
    3rd-FVF strike, obstinate VERO violations,
    excessive complaints, fee avoidance, etc.

    NPB - Non-Paying Bidder

    The process of recovering your FVF begins
    with having eBay send the the bidder an
    NPB notice.

    FVF - Final Value Fee

    This is the commission you pay eBay when
    your auction closes. You pay it whether
    the sale completes or not, and if the
    sale doesn't complete, you can recover
    it by filing for FVF credit.

    If a bidder earns 3 FVF strikes, they
    are NARU'd. Executing the NPB-FVF process
    is more important than Feedback in
    dealing with NPB users.

    VERO - VErified Rights Owner

    http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/vero-removed-listing.html