    2. OSPF support
    3. Can handle "10Mbps" of "normal" traffic

    Regards André Paulsberg
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Paulsberg?=, Sep 21, 2005

  2. In article <dgr3ko$97u$>,
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Paulsberg?= <> wrote:
    :What is the cheapest CISCO router with atleast the following specs :

    :1. 2 Ethernet connections (preferably 10/100 on both sides)
    :2. OSPF support
    :3. Can handle "10Mbps" of "normal" traffic

    If the third criteria is to be understood as 10 Mbps sustained of short
    packets, then the answer used to be a model near the high end of the
    3600 line -- everything less either couldn't come close to 10 Mbps or
    else could only handle 10 Mbps sustained when larger packets were being
    used.

    In the last year or so, the cost equations have changed a fair bit if
    you are looking for an official purchase (not eBay). The 2851 or 2871
    could probably handle the traffic (not the 2811!); and Cisco introduced
    the Express 500 series too recently for me to find performance
    information yet.

    If by "OSPF support" you mean "must be able to route according to OSPF
    policies flowing from elsewhere", then possibly the cheapest that fits
    your criteria would be the Cisco PIX 506E firewall. Yes, seriously --
    the PIX throughput figures are much higher than the Cisco routers in
    the same price range. But the PIX OSPF support is not as rich as you
    might require.

    You might also want to consider the Cat 3750 "Multilayer switch"
    (I don't remember at the moment if the 3550 has OSPF support.)
    Again it would depend on what OSPF features you needed.
    never make copies, only human beings make copies. Computers are given
    commands, not permission. Only people can be given permission."
    -- Brad Templeton
    Walter Roberson, Sep 21, 2005

  3. www.BradReese.Com, Sep 21, 2005
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Paulsberg?=

    Mark Lar Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > You might also want to consider the Cat 3750 "Multilayer switch"
    > (I don't remember at the moment if the 3550 has OSPF support.)
    > Again it would depend on what OSPF features you needed.

    3550's do OSPF and BGP, only useful routing features I've found they
    don't do are NAT and IPSec.
    Mark Lar, Sep 22, 2005
  5. Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <dgr3ko$97u$>,
    > =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Paulsberg?= <> wrote:
    > :What is the cheapest CISCO router with atleast the following specs :
    >
    >> 1. 2 Ethernet connections (preferably 10/100 on both sides)
    >> 2. OSPF support
    >> 3. Can handle "10Mbps" of "normal" traffic

    > If the third criteria is to be understood as 10 Mbps sustained of short
    > packets, then the answer used to be a model near the high end of the
    > 3600 line -- everything less either couldn't come close to 10 Mbps or
    > else could only handle 10 Mbps sustained when larger packets were being
    > used.

    OK , I must have left out too much information .

    I don't need a fully bloated OSPF 10/100Mbps ,
    and a 37xx series cost 100 X what we could afford .
    I need something more like the Cisco 831 router
    ( at present we have used the SOHO91 router :)

    The most important about OSPF is not getting the correct routes to the tiny router ,
    but sending all the local networks on ALL these tiny routers to our main routers
    so we don't have to manually setup/change static routes everywhere in our backbone .

    The traffic requirement is the not so important ,
    but it would be nice if the router could handle
    800 - 1200 PPS ( packets per second ) i real life.
    The 83x has a "raw" performance of 8500 PPS ,
    but I have no idea what it can handle in real life .

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

    I will look more into cisco models 2851 and 2871 , too see if theas mcan work for me :)

    Regards André Paulsberg
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Paulsberg?=, Sep 26, 2005