    should I expect to pay a couple of hundred for something that doesn't
    degrade the picture at all from the original? Note: I'm looking at
    capturing from broadcast-recorded VHS tapes.

    Graham, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Graham

    theseus Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Does a cheap capture card (say, $65) sacrifice much on quality? Or
    > should I expect to pay a couple of hundred for something that doesn't
    > degrade the picture at all from the original? Note: I'm looking at
    > capturing from broadcast-recorded VHS tapes.

    Not really
    The more expensive capture cards have hardware mpeg2 encoders. Good for
    recording programs in the background while you use your PC for other stuff.
    If you have a fast PC you can encode on the fly with a software encoder.

    theseus, Sep 18, 2004

  3. Graham

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:03:49 +1200, Graham <> wrote:

    >Does a cheap capture card (say, $65) sacrifice much on quality? Or
    >should I expect to pay a couple of hundred for something that doesn't
    >degrade the picture at all from the original? Note: I'm looking at
    >capturing from broadcast-recorded VHS tapes.

    My old cheapo Dynalink captures fine from TV, but pipe a videotape through it
    and it will drop frames as fast as you can count. So I figure if I want to
    transfer old tapes to DVD properly, I'm going to spend some bucks and get a
    Canopus ADVC-100.

    Invisible, Sep 18, 2004
  4. Graham

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:03:49 +1200, Graham <> wrote:

    >Does a cheap capture card (say, $65) sacrifice much on quality? Or
    >should I expect to pay a couple of hundred for something that doesn't
    >degrade the picture at all from the original? Note: I'm looking at
    >capturing from broadcast-recorded VHS tapes.

    No its the software you get with that counts and if you wish your PC to be
    locked up all the time you do it.

    More Money, better card, better software and a built in Mpeg Encoder this
    last thing frees up you PC so that you can do other things.

    Karen Parker, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Graham

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:19:37 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:03:49 +1200, Graham <> wrote:
    >
    >>Does a cheap capture card (say, $65) sacrifice much on quality? Or
    >>should I expect to pay a couple of hundred for something that doesn't
    >>degrade the picture at all from the original? Note: I'm looking at
    >>capturing from broadcast-recorded VHS tapes.

    >My old cheapo Dynalink captures fine from TV, but pipe a videotape through it
    >and it will drop frames as fast as you can count. So I figure if I want to
    >transfer old tapes to DVD properly, I'm going to spend some bucks and get a
    >Canopus ADVC-100.

    Seems to much of a Over Kill when a $180 card will do..

    More for the Pro and priced that way..

    Karen Parker, Sep 18, 2004
  6. Graham

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:53:54 +1200, Karen Parker <
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:19:37 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:03:49 +1200, Graham <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does a cheap capture card (say, $65) sacrifice much on quality? Or
    >>>should I expect to pay a couple of hundred for something that doesn't
    >>>degrade the picture at all from the original? Note: I'm looking at
    >>>capturing from broadcast-recorded VHS tapes.

    >>My old cheapo Dynalink captures fine from TV, but pipe a videotape through it
    >>and it will drop frames as fast as you can count. So I figure if I want to
    >>transfer old tapes to DVD properly, I'm going to spend some bucks and get a
    >>Canopus ADVC-100.

    >Seems to much of a Over Kill when a $180 card will do..

    Says you with a $7,000 PC ;-)

    >More for the Pro and priced that way..

    I've had decent video gear in the past. Sony XV-C700 Colour Corrector (got it
    late 80s), Tenlab TR-10SP multisystem converter (got it late 90s), so the
    Canopus will do me fine :)

    Invisible, Sep 18, 2004
  7. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:19:37 +1200, Invisible <> says...
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:03:49 +1200, Graham <> wrote:
    >
    > >Does a cheap capture card (say, $65) sacrifice much on quality? Or
    > >should I expect to pay a couple of hundred for something that doesn't
    > >degrade the picture at all from the original? Note: I'm looking at
    > >capturing from broadcast-recorded VHS tapes.

    > My old cheapo Dynalink captures fine from TV, but pipe a videotape through it
    > and it will drop frames as fast as you can count. So I figure if I want to
    > transfer old tapes to DVD properly, I'm going to spend some bucks and get a
    > Canopus ADVC-100.

    If you have a digital video camera it may be able to do A/D conversion,
    depending on the model.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 18, 2004
  8. Graham

    Daver Guest

    If you end up looking at spending for a descent capture card you may as well
    just get a DVD recorder. Realtime encoding, timebase correction in the case
    of Panasonic and useful for other stuff as well.

    Daver, Sep 18, 2004
  9. Daver wrote:
    > If you end up looking at spending for a descent capture card you may as well
    > just get a DVD recorder. Realtime encoding, timebase correction in the case
    > of Panasonic and useful for other stuff as well.

    And low quality picture to go along with it.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Sep 19, 2004
  10. Graham

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Graham said the following on 18/09/2004 17:03:
    > Does a cheap capture card (say, $65) sacrifice much on quality? Or
    > should I expect to pay a couple of hundred for something that doesn't
    > degrade the picture at all from the original? Note: I'm looking at
    > capturing from broadcast-recorded VHS tapes.

    I use a cheapo capture card, I am not after broadcast quality, but I
    will be changing it as it produces AVI's using an old (and not to
    common) codec for the encoding and that leaves a lot of people unable to
    play it, and I have to go through a re render if I wish to put it on DVD.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 19, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    Invisible <> wrote:

    >My old cheapo Dynalink captures fine from TV, but pipe a videotape through it
    >and it will drop frames as fast as you can count.

    That could be an issue with the quality of the recording at specific
    points on the tape. If you retry the capture, does it drop the frames at
    the same place? That would confirm it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 19, 2004
  12. Graham

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:50:32 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Invisible <> wrote:
    >
    >>My old cheapo Dynalink captures fine from TV, but pipe a videotape through it
    >>and it will drop frames as fast as you can count.

    >That could be an issue with the quality of the recording at specific
    >points on the tape. If you retry the capture, does it drop the frames at
    >the same place? That would confirm it.

    It does it with every video tape, pre-record (not macrovisioned) and off-air
    recordings. If I run it through my multi-system converter & output to NTSC it
    only drops 1 or 2 frames per minute. I don't think the card likes my VCR.

    Invisible, Sep 19, 2004
  13. Graham

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:40:02 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:50:32 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> Invisible <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My old cheapo Dynalink captures fine from TV, but pipe a videotape through it
    >>>and it will drop frames as fast as you can count.

    >>That could be an issue with the quality of the recording at specific
    >>points on the tape. If you retry the capture, does it drop the frames at
    >>the same place? That would confirm it.

    >It does it with every video tape, pre-record (not macrovisioned) and off-air
    >recordings. If I run it through my multi-system converter & output to NTSC it
    >only drops 1 or 2 frames per minute. I don't think the card likes my VCR.

    NTSC Frames are far less demmanding and only 525 lines..

    Get a card with a Mpeg Encoder..

    Karen Parker, Sep 19, 2004
  14. Graham

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:45:22 +1200, Karen Parker <
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:40:02 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:50:32 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:

    >>>That could be an issue with the quality of the recording at specific
    >>>points on the tape. If you retry the capture, does it drop the frames at
    >>>the same place? That would confirm it.

    >>It does it with every video tape, pre-record (not macrovisioned) and off-air
    >>recordings. If I run it through my multi-system converter & output to NTSC it
    >>only drops 1 or 2 frames per minute. I don't think the card likes my VCR.

    >NTSC Frames are far less demmanding and only 525 lines..
    >
    >Get a card with a Mpeg Encoder..

    T'is exactly the same if I try to capture an NTSC tape - frame loss as fast as
    you can count. Convert the signal to PAL and it captures OK.

    Invisible, Sep 19, 2004
  15. Graham

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:21:56 +1200, Collector-NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Graham said the following on 18/09/2004 17:03:
    >> Does a cheap capture card (say, $65) sacrifice much on quality? Or
    >> should I expect to pay a couple of hundred for something that doesn't
    >> degrade the picture at all from the original? Note: I'm looking at
    >> capturing from broadcast-recorded VHS tapes.

    >I use a cheapo capture card, I am not after broadcast quality, but I
    >will be changing it as it produces AVI's using an old (and not to
    >common) codec for the encoding and that leaves a lot of people unable to
    >play it, and I have to go through a re render if I wish to put it on DVD.

    If it has installed a driver into windows to access it (it should have), you
    should be able to use any other capture program. Download something like the
    trial version of Fly 2000 TV, or give the capture mode in the freeware program
    Virtual Dub, and see if that works. That way you won't be restricted to using
    the one codec - most programs let you choose your audio and video codec's to use
    from the ones installed on your computer, or if you have heaps of space you can
    do it raw. With raw one music video done at Super VCD res will chew through
    about 5 gigs of space.

    Craig Shore, Sep 19, 2004