    lighting conditions are a little less than ideal.
    If there's no digital cam in this price range that would do the trick,
    then perhaps a web cam?

    Darius, Mar 3, 2005

  2. Darius

    Guest

    Darius wrote:
    > I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
    > auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
    > looking for recommendations.
    > Basically, I don't really care much about image quality (these aren't
    > high-dollar items I'm selling), so long as I can at least tell what
    > the object being photograhped is without it being TOO blury.

    Since you're an eBay fan, just look for a secondhand 1 megapixel
    camera. I was lucky in hitting a slack sales time a while back and got
    a DC215 for less than a cheap webcam.

    > The only
    > other thing to note is that my apartment is too brightly lit, so
    > lighting conditions are a little less than ideal.
    > If there's no digital cam in this price range that would do the

    trick,
    > then perhaps a web cam?

    Webcams (at least the one I have) don't seem to be designed for adverse
    lighting conditions and are often less than 1MP.

    Chris

    , Mar 4, 2005

  3. Darius

    Harvey Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Darius wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
    >> auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
    >> looking for recommendations.
    >> Basically, I don't really care much about image quality (these aren't
    >> high-dollar items I'm selling), so long as I can at least tell what
    >> the object being photograhped is without it being TOO blury.

    > Since you're an eBay fan, just look for a secondhand 1 megapixel
    > camera. I was lucky in hitting a slack sales time a while back and got
    > a DC215 for less than a cheap webcam.

    And try to get one that has a macro focus facility.

    Harvey, Mar 4, 2005
  4. Darius

    Stacey Guest

    Darius wrote:

    > I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
    > auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
    > looking for recommendations.

    I used a nikon 2100 for many years for this, you can find these used on ebay
    with nhm batteries, chargers and card readers for under $100.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Mar 4, 2005
  5. Darius

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:58:13 GMT, Darius <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
    >auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
    >looking for recommendations.
    >Basically, I don't really care much about image quality (these aren't
    >high-dollar items I'm selling), so long as I can at least tell what
    >the object being photograhped is without it being TOO blury. The only
    >other thing to note is that my apartment is too brightly lit, so
    >lighting conditions are a little less than ideal.
    >If there's no digital cam in this price range that would do the trick,
    >then perhaps a web cam?

    I also sell things on ebay and have used a few different cameras.

    So, it depens a lot on what kind of items you are seling. If they are
    flat like magazines, or artwork an "on-camera" flash is a terrible way
    to go because of the reflection you get. If they are very small (like
    coins) you will need a close-up (macro) capability. If they are
    reasonably sized, like a VCR any small 2 megapixle camera will do very
    well.

    Wanna tell us what objects you are photographing and there are a lot
    of people here who can give you good advice regarding the camera and
    how to take the pictures. AND the better the picture the more bids
    you will get on eBay (I know!)

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)
    + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
    + http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    TheNewsGuy, Mar 4, 2005
  6. Darius

    Sheldon Guest

    You only need 640x480 images for the Net and eBay. I had a Sony Mavica 1.2
    megapixel camera that worked just fine for eBay. Also, the macro and white
    balance were superb. Look for a used one on eBay, or the price has come
    down on these cameras quite a bit but they still make them. I've seen them
    for under $100 at auction.

    Sheldon, Mar 4, 2005
  7. Darius

    Hi There Guest

    "Darius" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
    > auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
    > looking for recommendations.
    > Basically, I don't really care much about image quality (these aren't
    > high-dollar items I'm selling), so long as I can at least tell what
    > the object being photograhped is without it being TOO blury. The only
    > other thing to note is that my apartment is too brightly lit, so
    > lighting conditions are a little less than ideal.
    > If there's no digital cam in this price range that would do the trick,
    > then perhaps a web cam?

    Cheapest working brand name camera with > 1.0 megapixel, macro capabilities,
    and manual white balance you can find. Lighting is the key to eBay pictures.
    A home made light tent with white garbage bags, two or three desk lamps, and
    a table top tripod can make small items look much better than the
    competition's photos done on their living room rug.

    Kerry

    Hi There, Mar 4, 2005