Cheap batteries for Lumix DMC-FZ7

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Glenn Alcott, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. Glenn Alcott

    Glenn Alcott Guest

    Glenn Alcott, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Glenn Alcott

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Glenn Alcott" <> writes:
    > I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery. At
    > a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
    > is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's any
    > good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.

    I've been using cheap batteries in various devices (camcorders, cell
    phones) and haven't had any major problems, though I think they're
    more likely to overstate their capacity than the OEM brands. More
    recently I've been making an effort to stay away from lithium ion
    altogether, and always prefer to buy AA-powered devices.
    Paul Rubin, Oct 19, 2006

  3. Glenn Alcott

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Glenn Alcott" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery.
    >At
    > a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
    > is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's
    > any
    > good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.
    > Here's the page:
    > http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_CGR_S006A_1B_DMW_BMA7_for_DMC_FZ30_p/bbs006-01.htm
    >
    > Glenn

    At that price, buy two.
    Rudy Benner, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Glenn Alcott

    Vic Dura Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:15:44 GMT, "Glenn Alcott" <>
    wrote Re Cheap batteries for Lumix DMC-FZ7:

    >I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery. At
    >a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
    >is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's any
    >good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.
    >Here's the page:
    >http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_CGR_S006A_1B_DMW_BMA7_for_DMC_FZ30_p/bbs006-01.htm

    It's hard to tell. The only way is to try it. My guess is that it is
    pretty good. I don't think there are a lot of battery manufacturers
    out there so most of the off-brand batteries are probably made by
    major manufacturers.

    Those are good prices, but the shipping is high. If you select 2 of
    the above the total with shipping is $30. At the battery barn
    http://www.batterybarn.com/ the price is $13/each with free shipping;
    and Battery Barn looks more established and reliable at
    http://www.resellerratings.com/

    --
    To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.
    Vic Dura, Oct 19, 2006
  5. Glenn Alcott

    kas Guest

    Glenn Alcott wrote:
    > I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery. At
    > a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
    > is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's any
    > good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.
    > Here's the page:
    > http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_CGR_S006A_1B_DMW_BMA7_for_DMC_FZ30_p/bbs006-01.htm
    >
    > Glenn

    Take a look at www.fargo-ent.com. I used to buy all my film camera
    batteries there. They, including shipping, were about half the price I
    would pay for batteries alone.
    kas, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Glenn Alcott

    sally Guest

    Are camera batteries subject to the same explosion problem as laptop batteries?
    sally, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Glenn Alcott

    Paul Rubin Guest

    (sally) writes:
    > Are camera batteries subject to the same explosion problem as laptop
    > batteries?

    Yes. There was a big recall of Nikon EN-EL3 and EN-EL3a batteries
    (used in the D50/D70/D70S) for example.
    Paul Rubin, Oct 19, 2006
  8. Glenn Alcott

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > (sally) writes:
    >> Are camera batteries subject to the same explosion problem as laptop
    >> batteries?

    > Yes. There was a big recall of Nikon EN-EL3 and EN-EL3a batteries
    > (used in the D50/D70/D70S) for example.

    Yep, the sensor is not the only thing Sony makes for Nikon. Pretty soon it
    may be called Sominoltakon cameras. ; )
    John
    JohnR66, Oct 19, 2006
  9. Glenn Alcott

    JohnR66 Guest

    >I have a Lumix DMC-FZ7 and have been shopping around for a spare battery.
    >At
    > a site called bestbatt.com I found a third-party battery for $11.25, which
    > is far cheaper than anything else I've seen. I'm just wondering if it's
    > any
    > good, and if anyone has experience with ultra-cheap batteries like this.
    > Here's the page:
    > http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_CGR_S006A_1B_DMW_BMA7_for_DMC_FZ30_p/bbs006-01.htm
    >
    > Glenn

    I bought an lithium NP-80 Li-ion battery off of ebay for $7 and $6 to ship.
    It worked fine, but I could tell it did not have the same power as the OEM.
    I sold the camera shortly after getting that battery so I don't know how
    long it lasted after several charges.

    A year before that, I bought a $37 battery from B&H. It too was not as good
    as the OEM and was useless in a year.

    On vacation and out shooting, I got the battery warning, changed batteries
    shot more and that battery ran out. It was the point I swore off Li-ion
    batteries.

    Too expensive for OEM performance
    Degrades in performance after a year or so.
    Married to a charger.
    proprietary

    I got an A610 and can get 400 shoots on alkalines.
    John
    JohnR66, Oct 19, 2006