    video card and dont' need PCI-E. (would like a dedicated video card as not
    to use system memory as video memory) any recs? thanks

    -Nick

    Dr Nick, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Dr Nick

    Plato Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:

    > hi, I'm looking for recommendations on getting a cheap barebones computer.
    > anyone have a good experiance with a perticular place? I'm using this for my
    > business which will do some light photoshop work, using quickbooks, excel,
    > etc. so basic business stuff, I'd perfer an AMD cpu. don't need a crazy
    > video card and dont' need PCI-E. (would like a dedicated video card as not
    > to use system memory as video memory) any recs? thanks

    Times have changed. It's really not an issue anymore getting a pc with
    shared ram if just using your pc for basic business stuff, as long as
    you have enough ram installed to start with. Integrated mobos used to be
    a real no-no, but alas, they are way more dependable now and the drivers
    install with no problem, not like the "olden" days, when it was good
    advice to avoid them alltogether. Heck, I've been building PCs since
    1994, but the last one I got for myself, for business, was a barebones
    ASUS PC with shared ram, onboard video/lan/sound.
    I dont even use the sound. All I did was add a burner and I was set. It
    was actually cheaper for me to get the cheap barebones then build one
    for myself.

    But, there remain "hidden" hassles. For example, the ASUS PC I got has a
    proprietary power supply. If/when it goes, I'm just going to toss the pc
    in the trash. But, it's been 2 years already, and for $199 for the
    barebones it's not going to make me cry.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Dr Nick

    Nick Vital Guest

    > Times have changed. It's really not an issue anymore getting a pc with
    > shared ram if just using your pc for basic business stuff, as long as
    > you have enough ram installed to start with. Integrated mobos used to be
    > a real no-no, but alas, they are way more dependable now and the drivers
    > install with no problem, not like the "olden" days, when it was good
    > advice to avoid them alltogether. Heck, I've been building PCs since
    > 1994, but the last one I got for myself, for business, was a barebones
    > ASUS PC with shared ram, onboard video/lan/sound.
    > I dont even use the sound. All I did was add a burner and I was set. It
    > was actually cheaper for me to get the cheap barebones then build one
    > for myself.
    >
    > But, there remain "hidden" hassles. For example, the ASUS PC I got has a
    > proprietary power supply. If/when it goes, I'm just going to toss the pc
    > in the trash. But, it's been 2 years already, and for $199 for the
    > barebones it's not going to make me cry.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    oh, I've built several computers. the last one I built totally from scratch
    was a 2 CPU athlon XP system. the one I have currently I got form
    cyberpowerpc.com as a barebones, and just put in my DVD rom and DVD burner,
    used my same monitor and bought my own RAM. it's workin great so far and the
    total computer cost me 590 after shipping for an Athlon 64. even though
    Mobo's are MUCH better with onboard stuff than they used to be, I'm still an
    advocate for having a seperate video card. On my fathers computer thats
    about 2 years old, I added a crappy video card and turned off the on-board,
    and noticed a pretty big performance gain. can you recommend a place to find
    some cheap barebones setups?

    -Nick

    Nick Vital, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Dr Nick

    Plato Guest

    Nick Vital wrote:

    > oh, I've built several computers. the last one I built totally from scratch
    > was a 2 CPU athlon XP system. the one I have currently I got form
    > cyberpowerpc.com as a barebones, and just put in my DVD rom and DVD burner,
    > used my same monitor and bought my own RAM. it's workin great so far and the
    > total computer cost me 590 after shipping for an Athlon 64. even though
    > Mobo's are MUCH better with onboard stuff than they used to be, I'm still an
    > advocate for having a seperate video card. On my fathers computer thats
    > about 2 years old, I added a crappy video card and turned off the on-board,
    > and noticed a pretty big performance gain. can you recommend a place to find
    > some cheap barebones setups?

    Well, I'm a advocate for having all separate cards for most pcs. I was
    just saying that for a basic "business" pc it doesnt matter at all.
    Doing plain text email or usenet or paying bills online or shopping on
    ebay it dont matter really what video card you have.

    Heck, if you're a gamer, never buy a mobo with onboard video, as you
    always want the best options to upgrade your video card a year from now
    :)

    Plato, Mar 25, 2006