    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz
    John in Surrey, May 13, 2006

  2. John in Surrey

    J Brockley Guest

    I can sell you a Nokia M1122 for next to nothing:)

    J Brockley, May 13, 2006

  3. On Sat, 13 May 2006 08:44:28 +0100, John in Surrey
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >My Dlink adsl router has died...
    >I was speaking to someone who sells then, he says they are all cheap
    >and they go thru them all the time, both wireless and cable.
    >does anyone know of a more quality brand, one designed to last for
    >years, not one.
    >Lke hardware ues to be...

    If you are buying new ADSL equipment these days, you really need to be
    getting something that is ADSL 2+ capable. If possible, check if it
    supports the Annex M extension to the ADSL 2+ standard, which allows
    faster upload speeds. Until we know what ADSL 2+ DSLAMs we are going
    to be getting in NZ, you really want to keep all options open.
    Stephen Worthington, May 13, 2006
  4. John in Surrey

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    John in Surrey wrote:

    > Hi
    > My Dlink adsl router has died...
    > I was speaking to someone who sells then, he says they are all cheap
    > and they go thru them all the time, both wireless and cable.
    > does anyone know of a more quality brand, one designed to last for
    > years, not one.
    > Lke hardware ues to be...

    I have a DSE ADSL router....Two years old, running 24/7 and works just fine.
    s.te.v.e., May 13, 2006
  5. John in Surrey

    Evans Guest

    are we still getting ADSL 2+ now that Telecom is forced to unbundle?

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...

    Evans, May 13, 2006
  6. John in Surrey

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Evans wrote:
    > are we still getting ADSL 2+ now that Telecom is forced to unbundle?

    I would have thought so, more than ever. Gives Telecom a way to
    differentiate themselves from the others.
    -=rjh=-, May 13, 2006
  7. John in Surrey

    XPD Guest

    "J Brockley" <> wrote in message
    >I can sell you a Nokia M1122 for next to nothing:)

    Just got $80 for my M1122.........
    XPD, May 13, 2006
  8. John in Surrey

    XPD Guest

    > Hi
    > My Dlink adsl router has died...
    > I was speaking to someone who sells then, he says they are all cheap
    > and they go thru them all the time, both wireless and cable.
    > does anyone know of a more quality brand, one designed to last for
    > years, not one.
    > Lke hardware ues to be...

    I recently purchased a 3Com Wireless ADSL2+ job..... been happy with it so
    far and was only $112.
    We (work) quite often sell Dynalink and Linksys gear and havent had any
    complaints as yet.
    XPD, May 13, 2006
  9. John in Surrey

    shannon Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Evans wrote:
    >> are we still getting ADSL 2+ now that Telecom is forced to unbundle?

    > I would have thought so, more than ever. Gives Telecom a way to
    > differentiate themselves from the others.

    Would any new players put in anything else ?
    shannon, May 13, 2006
  10. John in Surrey

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John in Surrey wrote:
    > Hi
    > My Dlink adsl router has died...
    > I was speaking to someone who sells then, he says they are all cheap
    > and they go thru them all the time, both wireless and cable.
    > does anyone know of a more quality brand, one designed to last for
    > years, not one.
    > Lke hardware ues to be...

    Alcatel/Thompson Speedtouch series. A nice compromise between commercial
    (huge bucks) and consumer (cheap shit).
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 14, 2006
  11. John in Surrey

    Enkidu Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "J Brockley" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I can sell you a Nokia M1122 for next to nothing:)

    > Just got $80 for my M1122.........

    Really? They are as slow as a dead dog with no legs... I noticed a real
    speed boost when I got my DSL504.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, May 14, 2006
  12. John in Surrey

    Richard Guest

    John in Surrey wrote:
    > Hi
    > My Dlink adsl router has died...
    > I was speaking to someone who sells then, he says they are all cheap
    > and they go thru them all the time, both wireless and cable.
    > does anyone know of a more quality brand, one designed to last for
    > years, not one.
    > Lke hardware ues to be...

    I have no problem with the hardware of the 2 that we use here, but the software
    on them is dire.

    The billion stops passing traffic every 2-3 days, more frequent if we use
    bittorrent on it.

    The free dynalink from whorecon just dies all the time. Traffic still passes,
    but it gets slower and slower and then stops till powercycled.

    Both of them realistically need powercycling daily or more to keep it reliable,
    hardly an always on connection.

    The m1122 was great other then its useless nat implimentation for udp which saw
    the nat table constantly fill up if the DHT was on in azureus.
    Richard, May 14, 2006
  13. John in Surrey

    J Brockley Guest

    "XPD" <spam@xpd> wrote in message

    > "J Brockley" <> wrote in message
    >>I can sell you a Nokia M1122 for next to nothing:)

    > Just got $80 for my M1122.........

    Thats at least double what I ecpected:)
    J Brockley, May 14, 2006
  14. On Sun, 14 May 2006 14:18:04 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Alcatel/Thompson Speedtouch series. A nice compromise between commercial
    >(huge bucks) and consumer (cheap shit).

    I agree with the cheap shit comment, hence Im looking at gear at this
    site in the UK...
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/
    The draytec looks nice and US robotics have a nice mid range unit...

    I'm moving to a new provider that costs £21 a month for phone,
    includes free calls in the UK and to nz an aussie.
    They throw in the broadband free, 8 megs a second, 40 gig cap!
    Yes! free broadband! http://www.talktalk.co.uk

    Images of home (NZ)
    John in Surrey, May 14, 2006
  15. John in Surrey

    XPD Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > XPD wrote:
    >> "J Brockley" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I can sell you a Nokia M1122 for next to nothing:)

    >> Just got $80 for my M1122.........
    >>

    > Really? They are as slow as a dead dog with no legs... I noticed a real
    > speed boost when I got my DSL504.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Internet = 3.5mb
    Router = 10mb

    Why would it be slow ? Or do you mean the actual operation of the router ?
    Mine was fine.... never had any issues with it at all in the few years I
    used it.
    XPD, May 14, 2006
  16. John in Surrey

    XPD Guest

    "J Brockley" <> wrote in message
    > "XPD" <spam@xpd> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "J Brockley" <> wrote in message
    >>>I can sell you a Nokia M1122 for next to nothing:)

    >> Just got $80 for my M1122.........
    >>

    > Thats at least double what I ecpected:)

    Hehe ditto ;)
    Had a look on TM for past auctions and most were going for $30-40 so i
    thought Id be cheeky and put it as $120 reserve... someone bid upto 70 so I
    offered at $80 and they took it :)
    XPD, May 14, 2006
  17. John in Surrey

    Enkidu Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>
    >>> "J Brockley" <> wrote in message

    >>> Just got $80 for my M1122.........
    >>>

    >> Really? They are as slow as a dead dog with no legs... I noticed a
    >> real speed boost when I got my DSL504.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Internet = 3.5mb Router = 10mb
    >
    > Why would it be slow ? Or do you mean the actual operation of the
    > router ? Mine was fine.... never had any issues with it at all in the
    > few years I used it.

    Internet. Though copying files around wasn't speedy, though it was only
    10Mb of course.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, May 14, 2006
  18. John in Surrey

    Richard Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > Hehe ditto ;)
    > Had a look on TM for past auctions and most were going for $30-40 so i
    > thought Id be cheeky and put it as $120 reserve... someone bid upto 70 so I
    > offered at $80 and they took it :)

    Time to move mine on once my payment hits my TM account then I think
    Richard, May 14, 2006
  19. On Sun, 14 May 2006 10:49:09 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >-=rjh=- wrote:
    >> Evans wrote:
    >>> are we still getting ADSL 2+ now that Telecom is forced to unbundle?

    >> I would have thought so, more than ever. Gives Telecom a way to
    >> differentiate themselves from the others.

    >Would any new players put in anything else ?

    Absolutely, any new DSLAMs that an ISP buys will almost certainly be
    ADSL 2+ now. As far as I know, there is not much price difference.
    And Ihug pretty much promised already that they will be matching what
    is going on in Aus, so it is fairly certain they will be installing
    only ADSL 2+.
    Stephen Worthington, May 14, 2006
  20. John in Surrey

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 May 2006 10:49:09 +1200, shannon <> wrote:
    >
    >> -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>> I would have thought so, more than ever. Gives Telecom a way to
    >>> differentiate themselves from the others.

    >> Would any new players put in anything else ?

    > Absolutely, any new DSLAMs that an ISP buys will almost certainly be
    > ADSL 2+ now. As far as I know, there is not much price difference.
    > And Ihug pretty much promised already that they will be matching what
    > is going on in Aus, so it is fairly certain they will be installing
    > only ADSL 2+.

    But surely, Telecom will be installing new gear at >10x the rate of the
    other ISPs - remember Ihug said they'd be ready to spend $20M almost
    immediately, while Telecom spend that much (though not on DSL, I bet)
    every ten days?

    Given the larger number of Telecom cabinets, more Telecom customers will
    be closer to ADSL2+ than other ISP's customers, so they'll get ADSL2+
    service. Unless the other ISPs can move really quickly, Telecom will
    become synonymous with ADSL2+ and high speed internet, and the other
    ISPs will have to work hard to catch up.

    I think Telecom will continue with its planned upgrade and install a
    heap of new gear to stay ahead of the competition, some ISPs will invest
    in new gear, and some will be pinning their hopes on better UBS as a
    short term fix (which requires less investment on their part).

    And as a customer, in the short term I'd be happy with UBS done properly
    - not the farcical product Telecom has been selling - and at the right
    price.
    -=rjh=-, May 14, 2006