CHDK NEWS: Ported to more Canon P&S Cameras, New CBR Video Compression Options

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by KevenGaston, Nov 6, 2007.

  1. KevenGaston

    KevenGaston Guest

    See this page for further details about anything mentioned below.

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    New Cameras Supported:

    Canon Powershot A560 fw v1.00a
    Canon Powershot A570 fw v1.00e
    Canon Powershot A720 IS
    Canon Powershot SD500 fw v1.01a (IXUS700)

    Progress has also been started on porting it to the following models:

    SD300
    SD700
    S5 IS -- Yes, a way was found into the previously locked-out new models, or at
    least the S5 so far. This may mean it might be possible to also port it to the
    G9 and SX100 in the near future if there is more success with the S5, all being
    new Digic III models locked out in a similar manner.

    New Constant Bit-Rate (CBR) video compression options found and implemented by
    EWAVR

    See this discussion page
    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Downloads

    Test builds available for:

    A570 v1.00e
    A610 v1.00e
    A610 v1.00f
    A620
    A630
    A640
    A700
    A710
    G7 v1.00g
    G7 v1.00i
    G7 v1.00j
    Ixus 700 (SD500)
    S2 v1.00e
    S2 v1.00f
    S2 v1.00g
    S3 IS

    (works great on mine so far!)

    You not only have compression ratios of 1 to 99 for VBR mode, Variable Bit Rate
    (constant quality) as before, but you now have an alternate option of CBR mode,
    Constant Bit Rate (variable quality). With CBR settings of 0.25x, 0.5x, 0.75x,
    1x (standard), 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2x, 2.5x, and 3x. (the higher the number
    being the higher the video quality, the higher the MB/s.)

    Note: to use the Quality (VBR) compression settings above 95 or Bit Rate (CBR)
    settings of 2.5x or higher you will need the fastest SD cards you can find. You
    may have to also lower your audio sampling rate if you want to be able to
    sustain such high video data rates without hitting buffer overrun problems.

    You may download these test versions from the "/for_test/" link in the opening
    paragraphs on that discussion page (link above).

    New uBASIC scripting commands available for faster and simpler loops and more
    complex if/then/else/endif multi-command constructs. See Fingalo's CHDK2 page
    and the two "Special Builds" sections on the Scripting Tutorial page for further
    details:

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/TutorialScratchpad

    To make full use of the more complex and in-depth "get_prop" and "set_prop"
    uBASIC commands by Fingalo be sure to see the ongoing investigation into this
    low-level-access feature in this discussion area:

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:UBA...ty_Case_values._A_working_exploration_section

    And this page of now-known Property Case ID values:

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PropertyCase

    By using the "get_prop" and "set_prop" commands you have almost complete access
    to all internal features and flags being set by the camera at any time, for use
    in any of your own automated scripts. Anything from setting custom color modes,
    sharpening settings, and even setting auto-exposure bracketing steps up to 4 or
    more f/stops per 3-shot bursts, in 96 available EV steps per 1-stop increment.
    Example use: one simple script can give you 6 fast HDR exposures of 2 stops
    apart for each exposure. You can even alter auto-flash intensity in 96 steps per
    1 stop increments (the amount of full 1 stop increments for flash not fully
    tested yet). There is more accuracy and capability in these cameras than anyone
    ever first suspected.

    If you are new to writing CHDK scripts be aware that these "set_prop" and
    "get_prop" uBASIC scripting features/commands are for more experienced
    script-writers. It would be easy getting lost in their subtleties and
    co-dependent complexities until you are familiar with the more common uBASIC
    camera control commands and uBASIC syntax on the scripting tutorial-scratchpad
    page.

    If you have a Digic II or Digic III camera that is not supported yet be sure to
    check out the revamped "For Developers" pages

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/For_Developers

    With your camera and your effort you might be the first on your block to add
    your camera model to the growing number of CHDK supported cameras for everyone
    on earth.

    KevenGaston, Nov 6, 2007

  2. KevenGaston

    Guest

    Kevin, given your frequent posts and fervent support of this software,
    when are you going to post some actual *examples* demonstrating your
    use of chdk?

    , Nov 6, 2007

  3. KevenGaston

    Neil Guest

    In message <>,
    writes
    >Kevin, given your frequent posts and fervent support of this software,
    >when are you going to post some actual *examples* demonstrating your
    >use of chdk?

    Personally I don't mind being kept up to date (I'm waiting for the
    version that will support my camera's firmware, I'd really like the RAW
    function).

    As to "examples" CHDK adds some functionality to the supported camera,
    but doesn't really change the nature of the beast. The finished photos
    are likely to be pretty nearly the same with or without CHDK.

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_in_Brief

    "Main features:

    * Save images in RAW format
    * Ability to run "Scripts" to automate the camera
    * Live histogram (RGB, blended, luminance and for each RGB channel)
    * Zebra mode (blinking highlights and shadows)
    * An "always on" Battery indicator

    Additional features:

    * a depth-of-field (DOF)-calculator
    * File browser
    * Text reader
    * Calendar
    * Some fun tools and games "

    Regards,
    --
    Neil Pugh

    Neil, Nov 6, 2007
  4. KevenGaston

    Guest

    On Nov 6, 8:46 pm, Neil <> wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > writes>Kevin, given your frequent posts and fervent support of this software,
    > >when are you going to post some actual *examples* demonstrating your
    > >use of chdk?

    > Personally I don't mind being kept up to date (I'm waiting for the
    > version that will support my camera's firmware, I'd really like the RAW
    > function).

    Fair comment, Neil. I'm just having a little dig at "Kevin", who has
    some 'interesting' posting habits on usenet. You may not have
    recognised him elsewhere, but let's just say his views are often
    stridently given...

    If I was the author of CHDK, I would want someone else doing my
    advertising...

    (O;

    , Nov 6, 2007
  5. KevenGaston

    Neil Guest

    In message <>,
    writes

    >Fair comment, Neil. I'm just having a little dig at "Kevin", who has
    >some 'interesting' posting habits on usenet. You may not have
    >recognised him elsewhere, but let's just say his views are often
    >stridently given...

    I didn't know that, I'll try harder to keep up to speed.....

    Regards,
    --
    Neil Pugh

    Neil, Nov 6, 2007
  6. KevenGaston

    edward_danks Guest

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:59:09 -0800, wrote:

    >Kevin, given your frequent posts and fervent support of this software,
    >when are you going to post some actual *examples* demonstrating your
    >use of chdk?

    He'll probably do that just as soon as you post anything more than highly
    immature attempts for attention.

    Neither of you should hold your breath waiting.

    edward_danks, Nov 6, 2007
  7. KevenGaston

    Guest

    Off topic.

    On Nov 7, 6:56 am, edward_danks <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:59:09 -0800, wrote:
    > >Kevin, given your frequent posts and fervent support of this software,
    > >when are you going to post some actual *examples* demonstrating your
    > >use of chdk?

    > He'll probably do that just as soon as you post anything more than highly
    > immature attempts for attention.
    >
    > Neither of you should hold your breath waiting.

    edward, meet Kevin. Kevin, edward.

    Oh.. you've met??? (O;

    (Neil - that was an example... you'll notice 'edward' also posted
    from easynews, and suddenly appeared out of the blue, having never
    posted before.. as do all of 'kevin's sockpuppets.)

    , Nov 7, 2007
  8. Re: CHDK NEWS: Ported to more Canon P&S Cameras, New CBR Video CompressionOptions

    KevenGaston wrote:
    > See this page for further details about anything mentioned below.
    >
    > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
    >

    > New Cameras Supported:
    >
    > Canon Powershot A560 fw v1.00a
    > Canon Powershot A570 fw v1.00e
    > Canon Powershot A720 IS
    > Canon Powershot SD500 fw v1.01a (IXUS700)

    I don't think the A720IS is supported yet. They seem to have been able
    to download the firmware from the camera, but there is no CHDK build for
    it yet, unless I missed it somehow.

    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=, Nov 7, 2007
  9. KevenGaston

    KevenGaston Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:06:10 -0800, SMS ???• ? <>
    wrote:

    >KevenGaston wrote:
    >> See this page for further details about anything mentioned below.
    >>
    >> http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
    >>

    >> New Cameras Supported:
    >>
    >> Canon Powershot A560 fw v1.00a
    >> Canon Powershot A570 fw v1.00e
    >> Canon Powershot A720 IS
    >> Canon Powershot SD500 fw v1.01a (IXUS700)

    >I don't think the A720IS is supported yet. They seem to have been able
    >to download the firmware from the camera, but there is no CHDK build for
    >it yet, unless I missed it somehow.

    True, a misread on my part. I mistook a report that the A720 firmware was
    finally available for download (for analysis), not the working ported binaries.
    Just as you state.

    It appears now that the A650, A720, S5 IS, G9, and other Digic III cameras have
    been compiled and are working on a whole other OS (DRYOS vs. VxWorks). While it
    is possible, CHDK is going to have to be re-analyzed from square-one to make it
    work with them.

    Due to the overwhelming benefits of any camera that can run CHDK I suspect it
    will happen, it's just a matter of when. Winter is a good time for the less
    adventurous photographers to find something else to do with and for their
    cameras. New CHDKs might be part of their snow-day activities.

    When I think of the leaps and bounds that CHDK has taken in only the last 6
    months, ever since that first little binary that allowed people to only save RAW
    files, and on only one model of camera at that, 17 different cameras supported
    presently. Now it's capabilities are all the way up to a selection of 7
    different full-color live histograms, Zebra's real-time under/over-exposure
    areas flashing in your EVF/LCD (in 6 different flavors and 255x255 different
    color options, with user selectable under/over limit settings), programmable
    motion-detection fast enough to capture lightning strikes, an unlimited number
    of cropping and composition grids, an inexpensive and 100% adaptable USB remote
    trigger, on-screen DOF calculations, full-frame high-speed stereo photography
    done with two cameras linked by USB (all automated)..... I could also mention
    the fun things like having a 10,000 e-book library on one SD card to read on
    your camera's EVF/LCD while on vacation, but that's not photography related.
    Aside: with the right font converted to RBF format it's actually pleasurable to
    read an e-book using your camera and CHDK, I used it for that while tanning this
    summer. (I've also already found a way to use my camera as an MP3 player but
    it's a too-clunky work-around when MP3 players are so small and cheap now.) ....

    I've no doubt that CHDK's availability and capabilities are only going to grow
    exponentially. As it already has. It's becoming difficult to even keep up with
    the weekly changes and new findings, huge sections of the Wikia pages haven't
    even been updated with all the new features in the last month. (We're too busy
    playing with our cameras' new, and until now unavailable, capabilities.) People
    once thought that new video compressions were impossible. Now we have 98 VBR
    options and another 10 CBR video quality options to choose from. Some of such
    high quality that even the best SD cards available can't keep up with the
    bandwidth needed. Need I mention the new set_prop scripting command that allows
    me to take +/- 4 or more f/stop brackets, in high-speed multiples of 3-shot EV
    brackets, with each f/stop in increments as fine as 96 steps if wanted? Or
    unlimited automated DOF bracketing? I've yet to delve into the 96-steps per
    f/stop flash-output options to fine-tune the flash for macro-photography. Using
    a simple script it could read the camera settings automatically to set the flash
    for the macro-photo distances. Or for high-speed photography studies that were
    once only the realm of the laboratory. (Flash output intensity is controlled by
    flash speed, the dimmer the flash the faster the relative shutter speed.) The
    unlimited precision intervalometer options is child's-play compared to the new
    things that CHDK cameras can be now be made to do.

    CHDK is already well past the "HOLY F'n WOW!" stage of development. :) I don't
    think the camera designers even realized what their cameras could be made to do,
    nor how many have been waiting so long for something just like this.

    KevenGaston, Nov 7, 2007
  10. Re: CHDK NEWS: Ported to more Canon P&S Cameras, New CBR Video CompressionOptions

    KevenGaston wrote:

    > CHDK is already well past the "HOLY F'n WOW!" stage of development. :) I don't
    > think the camera designers even realized what their cameras could be made to do,
    > nor how many have been waiting so long for something just like this.

    The designers certainly knew, but to include all that capability implies
    supporting all that capability, including software upgrades when bugs
    are found, and of course delaying the product launch until all the
    software is completely written and tested. You can't really blame the
    manufacturer for being reluctant to include all the capabilities on the
    lower end cameras, when so few users would ever use the extra features.

    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=, Nov 8, 2007
  11. KevenGaston

    KevenGaston Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:50:04 -0800, SMS ???• ? <>
    wrote:

    >KevenGaston wrote:
    >
    >> CHDK is already well past the "HOLY F'n WOW!" stage of development. :) I don't
    >> think the camera designers even realized what their cameras could be made to do,
    >> nor how many have been waiting so long for something just like this.

    >The designers certainly knew, but to include all that capability implies
    >supporting all that capability, including software upgrades when bugs
    >are found, and of course delaying the product launch until all the
    >software is completely written and tested. You can't really blame the
    >manufacturer for being reluctant to include all the capabilities on the
    >lower end cameras, when so few users would ever use the extra features.

    "Lower end cameras"?? They don't even include 1/20th of these capabilities on
    their $8,000 to $20,000 cameras. Show me just one DSLR that has built-in
    motion-detection in it. Considering the noise this has made on the net (have you
    done a Google hit count on the word CHDK lately? 151,100 hits), I'd be hard
    pressed to ever use the phrase "so few users" when talking about those
    interested in the features of CHDK.

    Supporting all that capability? A handful of volunteers (maybe 5 active ones)
    put up the Wikia for CHDK with all the information anyone needs to use it.
    You're going to tell me that a multi-million dollar company can't even do that
    much? And this was all done in less than 6 months by people who didn't even know
    what they were doing at first. You could print up the CHDK firmware usage pages
    and scripting-guide section in one small pamphlet, smaller than most of Canon's
    "Basic User Guides". Upgrades and bugs? It takes the authors just ONE reply from
    ONE person about any bug found in any build to have it fixed in all the next
    ones to come, and within less than one day from the report to the fix.

    ANY camera company could be offering what CHDK can do for all their cameras,
    today if they wanted to, with one simple FREE firmware update. But they don't
    because they make more money by selling cameras that are crippled, always
    keeping the customer wanting more, or having to buy 5 different cameras all with
    different features that could have easily been done by one. Then selling one
    minor improvement next year as a brand new model to wow the "me first!" idiots
    that don't realize they are being taken for fools, DSLR buyers especially.

    Get real.

    KevenGaston, Nov 8, 2007
  12. Re: CHDK NEWS: Ported to more Canon P&S Cameras, New CBR Video CompressionOptions

    KevenGaston wrote:

    > Supporting all that capability? A handful of volunteers (maybe 5 active ones)
    > put up the Wikia for CHDK with all the information anyone needs to use it.
    > You're going to tell me that a multi-million dollar company can't even do that
    > much?

    Multi-billion actually. They could do it, but they'd have to charge more
    for the cameras because of the increased development and support costs.
    And they can't charge more for the cameras because the price they charge
    isn't based on the cost of manufacturing and development, but on the
    market, which is looking primarily at megapixels, LCD size, and price.

    Just be happy that enough buyers still understand the value of an
    optical viewfinder, or Canon would have dropped it from every model,
    rather than just most models.

    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=, Nov 8, 2007
  13. KevenGaston

    KevenGaston Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:31:10 -0800, SMS ???• ? <>
    wrote:

    >KevenGaston wrote:
    >
    >> Supporting all that capability? A handful of volunteers (maybe 5 active ones)
    >> put up the Wikia for CHDK with all the information anyone needs to use it.
    >> You're going to tell me that a multi-million dollar company can't even do that
    >> much?

    >Multi-billion actually. They could do it, but they'd have to charge more
    >for the cameras because of the increased development and support costs.

    Yeah, I guess that's why just a small handful of volunteers can do the same
    thing for FREE in less than 6 months with no financial incentive nor financial
    gain at all. (I don't think I've ever read such a stupid reply before.)

    >And they can't charge more for the cameras because the price they charge
    >isn't based on the cost of manufacturing and development, but on the
    >market, which is looking primarily at megapixels, LCD size, and price.
    >
    >Just be happy that enough buyers still understand the value of an
    >optical viewfinder, or Canon would have dropped it from every model,
    >rather than just most models.

    Now why would I be happy that people are still limiting themselves to last
    century's optical viewfinder system with all its inaccurate framing and exposure
    setting problems, as well as poor performance in low-light situations or
    whenever you want to use any DOF preview feature with them? Understand the value
    of them? They don't have a clue on what they are hindering themselves with.

    I've not used an OVF for 10 years now, I don't miss them in the least. I
    wouldn't bat an eye if Canon dropped that feature from every last one of their
    cameras. In fact it would only encourage them to improve the already more
    useful, adaptable, and configurable LCDs and EVFs. In fact I wish they would
    quit wasting their time on that last century OVF nonsense that will never get
    any better. At least with an EVF I can use one of my cameras to focus and frame
    in total darkness by using IR light alone. Totally impossible using any OVF
    system.

    It's obvious now that you're just trolling or you'd know better than to say
    things as stupid as you have so far. Time for you to go find a new thread to
    manipulate someone else into replying to you.

    KevenGaston, Nov 8, 2007