CHDK NEWS: High-Speed Photography Breaks New Records!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave G, Dec 2, 2007.

  1. Dave G

    Dave G Guest

    The gurus of CHDK found a way to override shutter speeds to now include up to
    1/10,000 of a second, so far. Test results show that they may get well over
    1/40,000 of a second and more when all is done.

    The best part? High-speed flash sync's perfectly with at all shutter speeds up
    to and including the fastest ones implemented. It also allows full use of your
    widest apertures. No more crippling your camera to only using high shutter
    speeds with small f-stops.

    Someone just posted images of drops in a sink taken with full room lighting on
    and the flash in sync at 1/10,000th of a second shutter speed at f/3.5. The
    first high-speed photography ever done looking exactly as if it was taken with
    available light.

    Check the new CHDK forum for further details.

    http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php

    Dave G, Dec 2, 2007

  2. Dave G

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Dave G wrote:

    > The gurus of CHDK found a way to override shutter speeds to now
    > include up to 1/10,000 of a second, so far. Test results show that
    > they may get well over 1/40,000 of a second and more when all is
    > done.
    >
    > The best part? High-speed flash sync's perfectly with at all shutter
    > speeds up to and including the fastest ones implemented. It also
    > allows full use of your widest apertures. No more crippling your
    > camera to only using high shutter speeds with small f-stops.

    Someone has also discovered america - your news is nearly as old.

    Exposing film to high speed flash was done fifty years or so ago.
    Reinventing the wheel seems to happen all the time now.
    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

    Neil Ellwood, Dec 2, 2007

  3. Dave G

    Dave G Guest

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 11:46:40 +0000, Neil Ellwood <>
    wrote:

    >Dave G wrote:
    >

    >> The gurus of CHDK found a way to override shutter speeds to now
    >> include up to 1/10,000 of a second, so far. Test results show that
    >> they may get well over 1/40,000 of a second and more when all is
    >> done.
    >>
    >> The best part? High-speed flash sync's perfectly with at all shutter
    >> speeds up to and including the fastest ones implemented. It also
    >> allows full use of your widest apertures. No more crippling your
    >> camera to only using high shutter speeds with small f-stops.
    >>

    >Someone has also discovered america - your news is nearly as old.
    >
    >Exposing film to high speed flash was done fifty years or so ago.
    >Reinventing the wheel seems to happen all the time now.

    Your level of knowledge is 50 years old and incomplete, as well as your level of
    hands-on experience in these matters.

    Yes, high-speed flash has been used for these purposes all this time. In a dim
    or dark room due to focal-plane shutters having to be used in "Bulb" mode. Or
    with the "X-Sync" shutter setting as times moved on to keep up with technology.
    In fact xenon-flash was originally invented for just this purpose, high-speed
    photography. Its use as a main light source for general photography only a handy
    after-thought.

    What you fail to realize is that these CHDK-enabled cameras are now able to use
    these shutter speeds with or without flash. Only electronic-flash could provide
    durations as short as 1/10,000 of a second before while also exposing the whole
    frame simultaneously, or by use of special high-speed mechanical shutter designs
    confined to the laboratory. Now these shutter speeds can be used in-sync WITH
    electronic flash so that no ambient light will interfere with the exposure. In
    many readily available and inexpensive P&S cameras.

    You really haven't thought this through, have you. This little change now makes
    all focal-plane shutters, and all cameras that use them, obsolete (as far as
    high-speed photography is concerned).

    Even the top of the line D-SLRs being sold this year go no higher than 1/8000
    second, and that's by moving a slit over the sensor so that no two areas are
    exposed at the same time. Greatly diminishing its usefulness for any real (read:
    accurate) high-speed photography.

    Here's some of the first test results from one of the alpha-releases of CHDK,
    using the camera's on-board flash.

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Samples:_High-Speed_Shutter_&_Flash-Sync

    Notice the available-light quality to these photos. Lights from the environment
    reflected in the water-drops. Using any other cameras and any other methods
    would have required that those lights be extinguished, or the shapes and
    highlights of those drops would have been distorted by the agonizingly slow
    focal-plane shutter mechanism in any camera of SLR origins.

    High-speed flash sync may now be used with shutter speeds from 1/500 second (the
    camera's default) inclusive of all shutter speeds in 1/3-stop increments to
    1/10,000 second.

    Dave G, Dec 2, 2007
  4. Dave G

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Dave G wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 11:46:40 +0000, Neil Ellwood
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Dave G wrote:
    >>

    >>> The gurus of CHDK found a way to override shutter speeds to now
    >>> include up to 1/10,000 of a second, so far. Test results show that
    >>> they may get well over 1/40,000 of a second and more when all is
    >>> done.
    >>>
    >>> The best part? High-speed flash sync's perfectly with at all
    >>> shutter speeds up to and including the fastest ones implemented.
    >>> It also allows full use of your widest apertures. No more
    >>> crippling your camera to only using high shutter speeds with small
    >>> f-stops.
    >>>

    >>Someone has also discovered america - your news is nearly as old.
    >>
    >>Exposing film to high speed flash was done fifty years or so ago.
    >>Reinventing the wheel seems to happen all the time now.

    > Your level of knowledge is 50 years old and incomplete, as well as
    > your level of hands-on experience in these matters.
    >
    > Yes, high-speed flash has been used for these purposes all this
    > time. In a dim or dark room due to focal-plane shutters having to be
    > used in "Bulb" mode. Or with the "X-Sync" shutter setting as times
    > moved on to keep up with technology. In fact xenon-flash was
    > originally invented for just this purpose, high-speed photography.
    > Its use as a main light source for general photography only a handy
    > after-thought.

    Your info is no less out of date. The original purpose (as with many
    inventions) was war, used for mapping the ground from aircraft
    although not that successful (1944 -5)

    > What you fail to realize is that these CHDK-enabled cameras are now
    > able to use these shutter speeds with or without flash. Only
    > electronic-flash could provide durations as short as 1/10,000 of a
    > second before while also exposing the whole frame simultaneously, or
    > by use of special high-speed mechanical shutter designs confined to
    > the laboratory. Now these shutter speeds can be used in-sync WITH
    > electronic flash so that no ambient light will interfere with the
    > exposure. In many readily available and inexpensive P&S cameras.
    >
    > You really haven't thought this through, have you. This little
    > change now makes all focal-plane shutters, and all cameras that use
    > them, obsolete (as far as high-speed photography is concerned).

    How often do YOU use flash? For me the light is harsh and if I want it
    softened other equip. such as reflector is too inconvenient.

    > High-speed flash sync may now be used with shutter speeds from 1/500
    > second (the camera's default) inclusive of all shutter speeds in
    > 1/3-stop increments to 1/10,000 second.

    Even the old Olympus Ti4 could use its dedicated flash @ 1/4000 sec
    and that was with a focal plane shutter.

    Please use all the facts and not just one or two that you select.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

    Neil Ellwood, Dec 3, 2007