CHDK firmware on a Canon Powershot a720

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sobriquet, Feb 11, 2008.

  1. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Hi.

    I'm having a bit of a problem trying to load CHDK firmware on my new
    Canon Powershot a720.
    The version I'm trying to install can be found here:
    http://malbe.nm.ru/chdk/

    I try to follow the instructions listed here:
    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

    But when I put the specified files in the root folder of the SD card
    (having formatted the 1 GB card prior to that step in the camera) and
    I start up in play mode, there is still no option in the menu to load
    the firmware.

    Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to get the firmware
    loaded properly?

    Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    sobriquet, Feb 11, 2008

  2. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On 11 feb, 21:25, sobriquet <> wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm having a bit of a problem trying to load CHDK firmware on my new
    > Canon Powershot a720.
    > The version I'm trying to install can be found here:http://malbe.nm.ru/chdk/
    >
    > I try to follow the instructions listed here:http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ
    >
    > But when I put the specified files in the root folder of the SD card
    > (having formatted the 1 GB card prior to that step in the camera) and
    > I start up in play mode, there is still no option in the menu to load
    > the firmware.
    >
    > Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to get the firmware
    > loaded properly?
    >
    > Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    Nevermind.. I think I managed to circumvent the issue by simply
    locking the SD card so the firmware is loaded automatically.
    It seems to work fine.

    sobriquet, Feb 11, 2008

  3. sobriquet

    irwell Guest

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:13:16 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
    <> wrote:

    >On 11 feb, 21:25, sobriquet <> wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I'm having a bit of a problem trying to load CHDK firmware on my new
    >> Canon Powershot a720.
    >> The version I'm trying to install can be found here:http://malbe.nm.ru/chdk/
    >>
    >> I try to follow the instructions listed here:http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ
    >>
    >> But when I put the specified files in the root folder of the SD card
    >> (having formatted the 1 GB card prior to that step in the camera) and
    >> I start up in play mode, there is still no option in the menu to load
    >> the firmware.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to get the firmware
    >> loaded properly?
    >>
    >> Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    >Nevermind.. I think I managed to circumvent the issue by simply
    >locking the SD card so the firmware is loaded automatically.
    >It seems to work fine.

    How do you erase images that are no longer required?
    Do you have to unlock, erase them, then lock again to
    safeguard the hack.

    irwell, Feb 12, 2008
  4. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On 12 feb, 01:27, irwell <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:13:16 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On 11 feb, 21:25, sobriquet <> wrote:
    > >> Hi.

    > >> I'm having a bit of a problem trying to load CHDK firmware on my new
    > >> Canon Powershot a720.
    > >> The version I'm trying to install can be found here:http://malbe.nm.ru/chdk/

    > >> I try to follow the instructions listed here:http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

    > >> But when I put the specified files in the root folder of the SD card
    > >> (having formatted the 1 GB card prior to that step in the camera) and
    > >> I start up in play mode, there is still no option in the menu to load
    > >> the firmware.

    > >> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to get the firmware
    > >> loaded properly?

    > >> Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    > >Nevermind.. I think I managed to circumvent the issue by simply
    > >locking the SD card so the firmware is loaded automatically.
    > >It seems to work fine.

    >  How do you erase images that are no longer required?
    > Do you have to unlock, erase them, then lock again to
    > safeguard the hack.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

    No, despite the lock on the card, you can erase images on the card
    from the camera. Very conveniently in fact, because you can use the
    filebrowser from the hacked firmware.
    It only refuses to delete them if you try to erase them from a memory
    card reader while the card is locked.

    sobriquet, Feb 12, 2008
  5. In message
    <>,
    sobriquet <> writes
    >On 12 feb, 01:27, irwell <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:13:16 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
    >>
    >> >Nevermind.. I think I managed to circumvent the issue by simply
    >> >locking the SD card so the firmware is loaded automatically.
    >> >It seems to work fine.

    >>  How do you erase images that are no longer required?

    >No, despite the lock on the card, you can erase images on the card
    >from the camera.

    The "lock" on an SD card is not a real write-protect wired into a
    switch, it's a tab whose position the SD card socket can read as
    "locked" or "not locked" (a bit like the write-protect tab on a floppy
    disc). It's up to software in the camera or card reader to decide
    whether to permit write/erase operations on the SD card, and the tab can
    be overridden if necessary.

    From what I understand the CHDK software treats the "lock" position as
    a further verification that this card is to be used in CHDK mode, and it
    will write data and erase the card as necessary. Once you pull the card
    out and put it into an external card reader or similar, the lock tab's
    position will be honoured so if you then want to erase or write new data
    to the card you need to reset the tab position.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

    Robert Sneddon, Feb 12, 2008
  6. sobriquet

    <> wrote:

    >On 11 feb, 21:25, sobriquet <> wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I'm having a bit of a problem trying to load CHDK firmware on my new
    >> Canon Powershot a720.
    >> The version I'm trying to install can be found here:http://malbe.nm.ru/chdk/
    >>
    >> I try to follow the instructions listed here:http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ
    >>
    >> But when I put the specified files in the root folder of the SD card
    >> (having formatted the 1 GB card prior to that step in the camera) and
    >> I start up in play mode, there is still no option in the menu to load
    >> the firmware.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to get the firmware
    >> loaded properly?
    >>
    >> Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    >Nevermind.. I think I managed to circumvent the issue by simply
    >locking the SD card so the firmware is loaded automatically.
    >It seems to work fine.

    Thanks for the links,
    have managed to install it all on my Canon SD1000, loads of info
    there, the RAW feature is nice.

    irwell, Feb 13, 2008
  7. sobriquet

    Guest

    On Feb 11, 4:13 pm, sobriquet <> wrote:
    > On 11 feb, 21:25, sobriquet <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi.

    > > I'm having a bit of a problem trying to load CHDK firmware on my new
    > > Canon Powershot a720.
    > > The version I'm trying to install can be found here:http://malbe.nm.ru/chdk/

    > > I try to follow the instructions listed here:http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

    > > But when I put the specified files in the root folder of the SD card
    > > (having formatted the 1 GB card prior to that step in the camera) and
    > > I start up in play mode, there is still no option in the menu to load
    > > the firmware.

    > > Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to get the firmware
    > > loaded properly?

    > > Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    > Nevermind.. I think I managed to circumvent the issue by simply
    > locking the SD card so the firmware is loaded automatically.
    > It seems to work fine.

    where did you get the PS.fir file? According to the Wiki page,
    there're 2 files needed to copy over SD card:

    Q. How do I get CHDK onto my camera's SD memory card?

    A. Follow these steps:

    * Remove the SD card from your camera and put it in the card
    reader of your PC.
    * Copy the files PS.fir and Diskboot.bin into the root folder of
    your SD card.
    * If you are on a Mac, read and follow this link
    * Put the SD card back into the camera.

    , Mar 9, 2008