    Anybody have such a file?

    TIA

    Bryan
    Bryan, Jun 21, 2005

  2. Bryan

    xsr Guest

    Bryan Wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I am using a utility, to create passwords - and one of the options is
    > to use
    > charset files (with *chr extension)
    > Where can I download such a file?
    > Can I create such a file in my txt editor?
    > Anybody have such a file?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Bryan

    If it is about john the ripper or any of the included tools, they
    distribute it with .chr files see http://www.openwall.com/john/ .

    ----
    xsr
    08eb d563 c78f 85a9 2f4b 571b 9177 22e6 65ad ac05
    usenet [@] http://www.research-labs.net/
    xsr, Jun 21, 2005

  3. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    Sorry to be so formal, but you never left your name.

    No, the program I am using is 'Optimal Password Generator'.
    You can use standard keyboard characters, but can also use the character set
    in Windows (i.e. ¼½¾¿®©§¶¢) in your password, which would greatly increase
    the chances of anyone 'cracking' the password.
    I need a character set file, so that I can import it into the program, or I
    have to enter the characters manually.

    I checked out the link you left, couldn't find any info on *.chr files.

    Thanks for you help.
    Bryan, Jun 22, 2005
  4. Bryan

    xsr Guest

    Bryan Wrote:
    > No, the program I am using is 'Optimal Password Generator'.
    > You can use standard keyboard characters, but can also use the
    > character set
    > in Windows (i.e. ¼½¾¿®©§¶¢) in your password, which would greatly
    > increase
    > the chances of anyone 'cracking' the password.
    > I need a character set file, so that I can import it into the program,
    > or I
    > have to enter the characters manually.
    >
    > I checked out the link you left, couldn't find any info on *.chr
    > files.
    >
    > Thanks for you help.

    Too bad the site of the program you mentioned, has a bandwidth limit
    exceeded message sitting on it.. heh.

    The site i mentioned doesn't really have info about .chr files, as far
    as i know. But included with this tool there are a few different
    character set files, another link this time:
    http://www.openwall.com/john/c/john-16w.zip . They include "all.chr",
    "alpha.chr", "digits.chr" and "lanman.chr". Which was one of your
    questions, if i recall correctly.
    Opening such a file inside a text editor, i can clearly see that it
    can't be reproduced with a text editor either.

    Reading the "OPTIONS" file inside that archive it sais something about
    how to make character set files, however it requires john to have
    cracked several passwords. Since it needs a john.pot file for the job.
    john.pot is where john will store the passwords it has found.

    ---------
    -makechars:FILE make a charset, overwriting FILE
    Generates a charset file, based on character frequencies from
    ~/john.pot,
    for use with the incremental mode. The entire ~/john.pot will be used
    for
    the charset file unless you specify some password files. You can also
    use
    an external filter() routine with this option.
    ---------

    I am not aware of better techniques to generate .chr files at this
    moment. So this is all i could help with.

    ----
    xsr, Jun 22, 2005