Charming Windows Eight

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Oct 28, 2012.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Some months past I tried the beta and RC versions of Ms Windows latest
    offering. This past weekend I have spent some time with her on the desktop.

    The Newinterface which was called Metro, and now is not because some people
    got annoyed with it, is nothing more than a new interface over version 7
    which does not keep out of the way.

    In your face, or totally ignoring the mouse while giving the operator a cold
    shoulder.

    There was many a time when I was in a programme and I had to use the ultimate
    power of pulling the plug, shutting off the fuel supply to shut it down.
    Diesel engines may work this way but computers normally have an exit switch.
    Ms Windows keeps it well hidden at times.

    Okay, we have all these tiles on the opening screen, everything apart from
    what the next door neighbour is doing with the kitchen sink. Some of them
    have names of programmes, as in short cuts. However, if we ignore all the
    crap, on the opening screen we can click on the destop tile and voila now we
    are in action, now we are not. The exit/back out/go higher button has gone.
    Unless the window has its own x button, one is boned as Bender would say.

    Hidden over to the right are the charms, which allow you to shut the machine
    off among other things. For me they seemed to appear when they were ready to
    do do not when one required them.

    The start screen was avalaible at all times by getting the mouse to go left
    bottom corner. So that did work around the back problem on many occassions,
    just to give to the task of going around again to get the desktop.

    It is very claer, that even my Ms Windows stanards of the past that she
    wants a more intermitate relationship with you (and your wallet). All this
    while the view is the OS should be transparent.

    I kissed Ms Windows on the cheek having not tried out the internection side
    of things.

    Improvements, must be under some tile. I shall keep looking when less
    interesting, pressing things are on my To-do list. I shall also read again
    the MS windows eight reviews of recent magazines.

    In short Ms Windows has left the destop, and booby trapped it with frusration
    cluster bombs. It might work better on the swipe platform.

    As it stand MS has just made something simple somewhat more complicated.
    Enjoy!
    Gordon, Oct 28, 2012

  2. Gordon

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    >"The Wise Old Owl" wrote in message
    >
    >On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 00:41:16 +1300, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >
    >> But only sick people need tablets.....

    >Is it "post like Roger" day?
    >
    >> Why not re-release XP as Windows 9 and we'll all be happier !

    >Every year old dogs draw a different line in the sand. In 1995 the
    >Start Menu was a new trick to be suppressed. In 2012 the Start Menu
    >is an old trick to be preserved.

    After seeing how Windows 8 presents my apps and utils (win+q) I really can't
    see myself going back to the old menu system. That grew into a fugly and
    unwieldy mess. This system is elegant, very accessible and aesthetically
    pleasing. I also like how I now have rapid access to the Search/Device
    Manager/Control Panel/Programs & Features/Command Prompt by right clicking
    on the bottom left corner of the screen.

    Tony.
    Fierce Guppy, Oct 30, 2012

  3. In article <>,
    says...

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > > On 28/10/2012 7:39 p.m., Gordon wrote:
    > >> Some months past I tried the beta and RC versions of Ms Windows latest
    > >> offering. This past weekend I have spent some time with her on the
    > >> desktop.
    > >>
    > >> The Newinterface which was called Metro, and now is not because some
    > >> people
    > >> got annoyed with it, is nothing more than a new interface over version 7
    > >> which does not keep out of the way.
    > >>
    > >> In your face, or totally ignoring the mouse while giving the operator a
    > >> cold
    > >> shoulder.

    > > Start8 is what you need.
    > >
    > > http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/features.asp

    > Windows 8 "Classic Windows Start Menu" anyone ? Just like for 7 and Vista.
    >
    > As it is - great for tablets. But only sick people need tablets.....
    >
    > Why not re-release XP as Windows 9 and we'll all be happier !
    >
    > geoff

    Easier to just stick with Windows 7 or switch to something else (Mac,
    Linux). Windows 8 is for kind of pointless tablets.
    David Goodwin, Oct 30, 2012