Charlie - USB over network new version!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Jul 31, 2008.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Jul 31, 2008

  2. Tony Sperling, Jul 31, 2008

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hi Tony,
    The credit goes to Charlie, who "enlightened" us about this piece of
    software some "posts ago".
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 31, 2008
  4. It IS magic. You really should be reading my blog, Tony! ;)

    Seriously, this is a really cool program, and it WORKS. Suddenly, you have
    USB support inside Hyper-V (Or Virtual PC or Virtual Server)

    They had an issue with the driver signing, so hopefully this update fixes
    that. But this _works_, and works well. The best part is, you don't actually
    need a driver at all for the host side. Only the actual client needs to have
    drivers for whatever USB device is plugged in at the server.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 31, 2008
  5. Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 31, 2008
  6. Hmmm, I think I will. My 'bad' excuse is the prodigal machinery. It has been
    gone for so long that I feel alienated, having it back. I think I will zap
    the whole thing and start all over and skip the dual-boot and set up XP x64
    with Hyper-V and explore it's wonders. May take me a while, though.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 31, 2008
  7. Ah, got it back. Good. Will it do Hyper-V? (requirements are: 64-bit (duh),
    execute disable bit on, and hardware virtualization.) It's that last one
    that might be an issue. Otherwise, you're going to need VMWare or some
    other virtualization solution that doesn't require the VT/Pacifica
    capability.

    Hyper-V is my life these days. This desktop and my laptop are the only
    non-virtual machines left. Everything else is moving to virtual. And I'd
    move this desktop, but it's only got an Opteron 175 in it - no hardware
    virtualization.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 31, 2008
  8. Carlos

    philo Guest

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Tony,
    > The credit goes to Charlie, who "enlightened" us about this piece of
    > software some "posts ago".
    > :)
    > Carlos

    Though USB over a network sounds interesting...
    the outfit needs to come up with a better example on their video.

    VIZ: Using a scanner at a remote location hardly seems practical!

    philo, Jul 31, 2008
  9. Carlos

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > Though USB over a network sounds interesting...
    > the outfit needs to come up with a better example on their video.

    The following is also interesting - USB 2.0 Server
    http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/07/10/video-review-iogear-usb-net-sharestation/
    There are drivers for both VIsta and XP x64:
    http://www.iogear.com/support/dm/driver/GUIP201

    And here is wireless USB 2.0 server:
    http://www.silexamerica.com/sx-2000wg.html
    Driver "SX Virtual Link" works in Vista x64:
    http://www.silexamerica.com/sx-virtual-link.html

    BTW, there are other software-only solutions:
    http://www.eltima.com/products/usb-over-ethernet/
    http://www.usb-over-ethernet.com/download.html
    http://www.incentivespro.com/downloads.html

    Regards, Roman

    P.S. The first time I heard about UoE was on the excellent Aaron Tiensivu's
    blog:
    http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/archives/1503-Does-anyone-know-of-a-free-USB-over-Ethernet-besides-Linux-software-package-Get-USB-guest-support-inside-Hyper-V!.html

    roman modic, Jul 31, 2008
  10. Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 31, 2008
  11. Being more of a Vista problem than anything else, I expect - or,
    conceptually, a general nuicance?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 1, 2008
  12. More of a Vista (or Server 2k8) problem than anything. It is signed, but
    there's a problem with the cert holder, so Windows doesn't like it.

    It's a problem for me, since I'm using the product to support a USB backup
    from my Windows Small Business Server 2008 test bed, which is virtualized on
    Hyper-V. And thus has no USB devices. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2008