    a multi-tester but I'm not to sure how to use it. I don't want to
    over-charge them, as I have ruined quite a few leaving them on charge to
    long.

    Scottie, May 28, 2004

  2. Scottie

    °Mike° Guest

    Any decent battery charger will tell you when the
    battery is fully charged; it should also have decent
    documentation, that you should take not of.

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:39:18 +0100, in
    <UyMtc.345$ZT5.184@newsfe2-win>
    Scottie scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 28, 2004

  3. Scottie

    anon Guest

    Most modern units will only charge till they are full, therefore not
    overcharge.
    Depending on the type of battery, constantly charging, over a period of
    time,can lead to a deteriation in the battery charge life. It used to be
    said that you should fully discharge a battery, from time to time, in order
    to lengthen the life, as such the better charging units also featured a
    discharge facility. As to whether that is still true??

    anon, May 28, 2004
  4. Scottie

    Scraggy Guest

    Scottie wrote:
    > Can someone tell me how do you know when a battery is fully charged,
    > for example, if you want to
    > give your car battery a boost once in a while, or some old
    > rechargeable batteries you've not used for some time, and they have
    > become completely flat. How do you estimate how long you should leave
    > them on charge. I have a multi-tester but I'm not to sure how to use
    > it. I don't want to over-charge them, as I have ruined quite a few
    > leaving them on charge to long.

    1.For your/a car battery read this, it covers the topic quite well and you
    can research further, should you so wish
    http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?pagename=http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/batterymaintain_od.htm
    Follow the makers instuctions!
    2."Old rechargeable" is not helpful, if they are NiCd then they are probably
    borked, but it may be possible to recondition them. Fot that you would need
    a good quality charger that is able to fully discharge, recharge & then
    trickle charge them. Personally I would say it's probably not worth it. If
    they are NiMH or polymer batteries then a recharge will suffice.
    Follow the makers instuctions!( there may be an echo in here ere ere re
    e e )
    HTH & HAND

    Scraggy, May 28, 2004
  5. Scottie

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "anon" <> wrote in message
    > Most modern units will only charge till they are full, therefore not
    > overcharge.
    > Depending on the type of battery, constantly charging, over a period of
    > time,can lead to a deteriation in the battery charge life. It used to be
    > said that you should fully discharge a battery, from time to time, in

    order
    > to lengthen the life, as such the better charging units also featured a
    > discharge facility. As to whether that is still true??
    >
    > "Scottie" <> wrote in message
    > > Can someone tell me how do you know when a battery is fully charged, for
    > > example, if you want to
    > > give your car battery a boost once in a while, or some old rechargeable
    > > batteries you've not used for some time, and they have become completely
    > > flat. How do you estimate how long you should leave them on charge. I

    have
    > > a multi-tester but I'm not to sure how to use it. I don't want to
    > > over-charge them, as I have ruined quite a few leaving them on charge to
    > > long.

    car batteries are not the same as home rechargeable device batteries.
    car batteries use lead acid solutions, home rechargeables come in different
    flavours (NiMH,NiCd,Li-Ion, and those limited recharageable alkalines).

    car batteries will hold a stronger charge if it is trickle charged (low
    (2)amps) overnight. Letting it drain completely is not recommended. car
    batteries are normally charged around 13.5v
    if a trickle charger is not used, an hour should be a good estimate on
    charging time.

    NiCd batteries are notorious for loosing their full charge (memory charge).
    full drain is recommended.
    the others i've listed do not require full discharge.

    an overcharged battery will give off excess heat. this heat is what causes
    damage and reduced battery life.
    so monitoring the heat is a good indication of full charge.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 28, 2004