    Is it possible to charge the batteries in a laptop by using USB port.
    Charger would fit in mains then USB as my pin charger point has gone on my
    laptop.

    brenda, Feb 1, 2008

  2. brenda wrote:

    > Is it possible to charge the batteries in a laptop by using USB port.
    > Charger would fit in mains then USB as my pin charger point has gone on my
    > laptop.

    No. The usb port you plug into has a regulated voltage on two of its pins.
    That available power is for powering usb devices... If you try to "charge
    your laptop batteries" with the usb port... you risk destroying the
    regulation circuits of that port and quite possibly destroy your laptop.

    --

    Jerry McBride ()

    Jerry McBride, Feb 1, 2008

  3. brenda

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:36:11 GMT, "brenda" <>
    wrote:

    >Is it possible to charge the batteries in a laptop by using USB port.
    >Charger would fit in mains then USB as my pin charger point has gone on my
    >laptop.

    Check with the manufacturer before you try. Probably not a good idea.

    richard, Feb 1, 2008
  4. brenda

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    brenda wrote:
    > Is it possible to charge the batteries in a laptop by using USB port.
    > Charger would fit in mains then USB as my pin charger point has gone on my
    > laptop.

    No, but it is possible to turn your laptop into a pretty desktop
    firework display by using the same method.

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 1, 2008
  5. brenda

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:54:42 -0500, Jerry McBride
    <> wrote:

    >brenda wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to charge the batteries in a laptop by using USB port.
    >> Charger would fit in mains then USB as my pin charger point has gone on my
    >> laptop.

    >No. The usb port you plug into has a regulated voltage on two of its pins.
    >That available power is for powering usb devices... If you try to "charge
    >your laptop batteries" with the usb port... you risk destroying the
    >regulation circuits of that port and quite possibly destroy your laptop.

    Actually, I think it would first fry the voltage regulator. Which
    kills the usb outlet.
    Even if one were to properly match the output power and amps of the
    usb ports, running power back through the system would fry the other
    circuits before the battery.

    richard, Feb 2, 2008
  6. brenda

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:54:42 -0500, Jerry McBride
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> brenda wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to charge the batteries in a laptop by using USB port.
    >>> Charger would fit in mains then USB as my pin charger point has gone on my
    >>> laptop.

    >> No. The usb port you plug into has a regulated voltage on two of its pins.
    >> That available power is for powering usb devices... If you try to "charge
    >> your laptop batteries" with the usb port... you risk destroying the
    >> regulation circuits of that port and quite possibly destroy your laptop.

    > Actually, I think it would first fry the voltage regulator. Which
    > kills the usb outlet.
    > Even if one were to properly match the output power and amps of the
    > usb ports, running power back through the system would fry the other
    > circuits before the battery.

    Like I said "a pretty desktop firework display"

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 3, 2008