    TIA.

    SG

    , Aug 15, 2005

  2. John Bean Guest

    On 15 Aug 2005 15:46:41 -0700,
    wrote:

    >Next month I'm going to England and taking my Kodak DX6490 (bought in
    >the US.) My unit came with the Easy Share dock for charging and I'm
    >concerned about how to recharge the system after a few days.
    >
    >Kodak's manual and online FAQ don't mention US/England electricity
    >differences so I assume I can't simply get a plug adapter and use
    >British current directly. Can I, though, get a voltage adapter with a
    >US outlet and plug the charger into that? Is the frequency difference
    >(50 hz vs 60 hz) in the currents a problem?
    >
    >It seems as though it should work but I've been burned before on
    >"shoulda's". Does anyone know for sure the best way I can recharge the
    >6490 while I'm in England?

    According to the Kodak spec the Camera Dock 6000 has a 5VDC
    input supplied by a seperate adaptor - is this what you
    have? What does it say on the adaptor? Some are auto
    switching 120/220V and require only a socket adaptor, some
    are 120V only and some are 220V only. Assuming yours is 120V
    I'd suggest you buy a universal auto-switching power adaptor
    designed for digital cameras and use that instead of the one
    supplied by Kodak. The 50/60Hz is not important.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean

    John Bean, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Ben Thomas Guest

    wrote:
    > Next month I'm going to England and taking my Kodak DX6490 (bought in
    > the US.) My unit came with the Easy Share dock for charging and I'm
    > concerned about how to recharge the system after a few days.
    >
    > Kodak's manual and online FAQ don't mention US/England electricity
    > differences so I assume I can't simply get a plug adapter and use
    > British current directly. Can I, though, get a voltage adapter with a
    > US outlet and plug the charger into that? Is the frequency difference
    > (50 hz vs 60 hz) in the currents a problem?
    >
    > It seems as though it should work but I've been burned before on
    > "shoulda's". Does anyone know for sure the best way I can recharge the
    > 6490 while I'm in England?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > SG

    Or you could buy the travel charge which comes with plugs for most countries and
    automatically switches voltage.

    Ben

    Ben Thomas - Melbourne, Australia
    The essentials: Kodak DX6490, Nikon D70, Canon i9950, Pioneer DVR-109,
    Hitachi W37-PD2100, DGTEC 2000A, Harmon/Kardon AVR4500, Denon DVD-2800,
    Whatmough Synergy, Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm LifeDrive.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Martin Brown Guest

    wrote:

    > Next month I'm going to England and taking my Kodak DX6490 (bought in
    > the US.) My unit came with the Easy Share dock for charging and I'm
    > concerned about how to recharge the system after a few days.
    >
    > Kodak's manual and online FAQ don't mention US/England electricity
    > differences so I assume I can't simply get a plug adapter and use
    > British current directly. Can I, though, get a voltage adapter with a
    > US outlet and plug the charger into that? Is the frequency difference
    > (50 hz vs 60 hz) in the currents a problem?
    >
    > It seems as though it should work but I've been burned before on
    > "shoulda's". Does anyone know for sure the best way I can recharge the
    > 6490 while I'm in England?

    Check the ratings plate - it may be certified for 120-240v operation but
    stuff in the US tends to come with dirt cheap adaptors good only for US
    voltage. This is odd - the same kit in Japan or UK is often dual voltage.

    Otherwise it depends. If you are staying in hotels they usually have
    "shaver only" adapters that allow US shavers to work on 120v ac (but at
    50Hz so woe betide you if you have one of those dreadful old Ronson
    things that depend on 60Hz mechanical resonance to give a decent shave).

    It will be labelled "shavers only" but IME the supply is OK for any
    small electrical battery charger for video or cameras. What they don't
    want is some moron trying to boil a kettle off it.

    Try at your own risk, but you don't even need an adaptor for this.

    Otherwise buy a small travel transformer at the airport on your way out.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings Seth,

    The Dock 6000 that you have will work with 100 - 240 power sources. This
    fits into the power supplied by Britain.

    What I had suggested previously was that you consider getting a travel kit.
    This will give you a wall charger and adapters that will work pretty much
    anywhere in the world. You should be able to travel most anywhere and
    maintain a good power supply for your camera. You can get the adapter for
    around $30 at the Kodak online store and also at local retailers. That is
    likely the best way to go.

    Regardless, as noted, if you want to bring along your Dock (Dock 6000 I
    presume) you will be OK as well. The 5 volt adapter is good in the same
    noted ranges. Either way you are all set.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Aug 17, 2005